static IP with account name (and other problems..)

Hi,

so I have a static IP from my ISP along with an account name. How do I do this with the R1?

I have a netgear router who does that right now (http://support.netgear.com/product/jnr3210). I couldnt find a proper section where to enter such data on the R1

Also, I turned off the DHCP, but could not turn it on again! It complained about a too short lease time, but I could not change the lease time (greyed out). So DHCP is turned off now.

How do I access the router now? I cannot connect to the ip (192.168.88.1)  :( ...what to do? How long do I have to hit the reset button? Other ways?

Hi,

so I have a static IP from my ISP along with an account name. How do I do this with the R1?

I have a netgear router who does that right now (http://support.netgear.com/product/jnr3210). I couldnt find a proper section where to enter such data on the R1

Also, I turned off the DHCP, but could not turn it on again! It complained about a too short lease time, but I could not change the lease time (greyed out). So DHCP is turned off now.

How do I access the router now? I cannot connect to the ip (192.168.88.1)  :( ...what to do? How long do I have to hit the reset button? Other ways?

Hi there,

I'll get Iain to get in contact with you asap 

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi Horuku,

Don't worry, I'm here to help. So there are two issues here. I'll address them separately.

Ok I think you're talking about pppoe, fortunately for you I've literally just written a patch so I can help. But if I had not, you could just connect the R1 behind your existing netgear router. 

How do I access the router now? I cannot connect to the ip (192.168.88.1)   :( ...what to do? How long do I have to hit the reset button? Other ways?

Ok lets try fix this. First on your phone or a device with Wifi can you see the Netduma R1's wifi? If so then can you go to windows, and assign yourself a static IP of 192.168.88.10, then try ping 192.168.88.1 and see if you get any response.

If you need help on how to assign yourself a static IP and ping, please let me know what operating system your computer is using(e.g. Windows, Linux, OSx, etc).

Thanks

Thx!.

ok, with the manually assigned IP I can access the configuration site now. (I have the R1 connect via Wifi to my linux laptop).

if i go to settings, DHCP is turned off. The From/To field is empty and lease time is greyed out. Setting From=2 and To=254 and hitting apply wont turn it on. The lease time is greyed out and at 10min.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi,

Ok to re-enable DHCP you should click "DHCP Enabled" and set

• To: 250

And have lease time to 12 hours.

Does that work for you? 

And have lease time to 12 hours.

Does that work for you? 

I am unable to change lease time the value at all

You know when the From/To field are darked when DHCP is disabled, like inactive? The lease time remains in this state.

I use chrome (V 39.0.2171.95 64-bit, linux). I switched to firefox (34.0.5 firefox for opensuse) and yay!, I can change the value :-)

DHCP is up and running, and I can connect without using a manual IP. So this is solved.

edit: added firefox version

Guest Netduma_Iain

Ok, I don't think it was a firefox issue actually. I think its when you change it from disabled to enabled it doesn't update the duration. So a refresh would have fixed it. Either way I'll fix in the next upgrade. I've updated the upgrade list to include it. 

Ok back to the original problem :) You have two choices, you can just connect behind your Netgear or I can personally upgrade you with the latest patch that will hopefully mean you can connect direct to your ISPs router/modem.

Which would you prefer?

Guest Netduma_Iain

Ok I'll pm you the details. Before I do could you screenshot the page on your netgear router I just want to confirm it's pppoe before we start. Thanks

Guest Netduma_Iain

Ahh ok I see, we don't have that at the moment but I'll get it in the next patch. If you don't mind can you do modem -> netgear -> R1 till I send full upgrade. The only issue will may be NAT and I can help.

If you need it urgently I can try get you minor patch by tomorrow evening.

I guess this is the feature I am waiting for (from the feature forum)?: Allow static IP assignment for WAN IP address

I just plugged a Ethernet cable from my netgear into the PoE port without doing any kind of additional setup and it worked. Amazing.

Some things seem not as responsive as it used to be, but maybe it is just imagination.

Guest Netduma Fraser

I guess this is the feature I am waiting for (from the feature forum)?: Allow static IP assignment for WAN IP address

I just plugged a Ethernet cable from my netgear into the PoE port without doing any kind of additional setup and it worked. Amazing.

Some things seem not as responsive as it used to be, but maybe it is just imagination.

What kind of things are you finding not as responsive?

Well the setup is only running for about 1h, but e.g. loading a new/fresh website seems slower (like a tiny tiny amount).

I played a game of Dota2 and the ''Find match'' would register with after a 3-4 seconds delay. Same with "cancel search''. But now (after playing a match for 60min) the delay is below 1s, which is normal. So that could just be a unrelated issue within dota2.

Guest Netduma Fraser

Okay, well let us know if these problems escalate to the point where its hampering your game experience too much and we will investigate them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! So as far as I understand there is an upgrade to be able with R1 to connect to your ISP with ppoe with user and password, isn't it?

I have purchased netduma r1 yesterday and I am reading everything to be prepared when it comes home.

My ISP needs user and password for connecting to their network and now I use a wdr3600.

Regards!

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi Tzeeth,

Thank-you for purchasing! Yes the new upgrade has pppoe. So before you get the router PM me and I'll get you to download file onto your laptop. Then when you plug in the Netduma R1 use the file to upgrade it. The new upgrade will have pppoe and you can connect directly into your modem.

Hope that helps 

Hi! Thanks for your fast response, this is great for a company.

Let me explain better, I have a rj45 cable that comes from a router from roof of my building. It is isp router, in my actual router I put the rj45 on wan and I just configure it as ppoe with user, password and "connect automatically", ip is assigned by the ISp router.

I guess I can quit off my router and use yours with new firmware, isn't it?

I will pm you, thanks!

Guest Netduma_Iain

Sure no problem. Based on what you said you should be able to replace the router. Just remember to download the upgrade file before you setup the netduma because you need Internet :)

Archived