Got my R1, thoughts so far......

Hi all

Been to the post office depot to collect my R1 today. :D

Initial thoughts are - its pretty small! Seems nicely made though, and it was a breeze to set up.

I have only had chance to do a little gaming on CoD AW, but the Geofilter seems to work well.

That said I have a couple of suggestions (haven't done a search so sorry if they are repeated):

Not everyone has their modem close to their router. Fortunately for me the cat 5e cable that my BT Infinity uses is working perfectly fine for the R1, so I didn't need to use the included cat 6 cable. Do you think it might be worth adding a longer cable as standard though? My router is over a meter away from my modem, and I am sure many others are in the same boat.

I do not appear to have a wi-fi light on, even though there are wi-fi devices connected. Is this a gremlin in the firmware or a fault? Or neither?

Geofilter - will there be any way to use a plotter for the Geofilter rather than a blanket distance slider? For example, those of us who only want to connect to mainland UK servers can drag the edges of the Geofilter circle and make adjustments to its shape. For example to cover mainland UK (approx 700KM, I also have to have servers from northern Europe included under 'the blanket'. Obviously a user could drag the shape to whatever they wanted it to be depending on how many adjustment points were on it's perimeter.

I have also already mentioned map zoom level in another post - just gotta wait for .7 :)

I will update this thread as I use more of the features and if I have any more suggestions.

But overall, nice job on the software and GUI! B)

EDIT:  Does anyone know of a way to make my Sky box and my PS4 appear as a device with a name? Both come up as "nameless device" and I don't know which one is which. I could figure it out by turning one of them off and checking the IP addy of the one left on (probably will do that when I have more time). But being able to name a device in the GUI might be helpful for those with nameless devices, particularly when using Geofilter and congestion control. Ignore me, I just realised I can already do that in device manager! lol :lol:

Guest Netduma_Iain

Thanks Buffet,

Glad you're enjoying it and thanks for the feedback.

Ignore the wifi-light that is the same for everyone & doesn't mean anything. We would be interested to see what people say, but we made the wire short on purpose so it doesn't get in the way as we assumed everyone would plug it right next to their modem. Finally in the near future we do plan to add polygon support.

Thanks Buffet,

Glad you're enjoying it and thanks for the feedback.

Ignore the wifi-light that is the same for everyone & doesn't mean anything. We would be interested to see what people say, but we made the wire short on purpose so it doesn't get in the way as we assumed everyone would plug it right next to their modem. Finally in the near future we do plan to add polygon support.

Cool, hopefully you can make polygon support happen.

The cable length is a catch 22 I suppose, some will like, others will not! I guess the only way around it would be to make the shop offer different lengths at the checkout stage (prices increasing with length, obviously) and you just ship what your customer wants. Not sure how you are set up, but would that be a possibility?

Guest Netduma_Iain

If people want it they can, I don't know the exact price structure but we pretty much sell the cable at cost. We added it because we wanted everyone to plug n play. Nothing more annoying than having to get new batteries when you buy something. 

Archived