Adding the R1 to existing Modem and Router

rameses

I have a very large home, with multiple devices connected at all times. I was wondering if I were to add the R1 to my existing set up Modem > Nighthawk > R1 would it add much lag? Having the nighthawk handle all of my wireless devices and the R1 just my xbox one. I currently have a cheap tp-link connected to the the Nighthawk to handle my xbox, as i do some throttling. Seems to work well. Also does this router offer bandwidth trotthling? up and down per ip or mac address? thanks. 

Guest Netduma_Iain

Yes I'd suggest same order as abc.

Just a few things on your setup. It almost makes no sense to throttle the xbox only. You really want to throttle everything else. Quite a few people here plan to use the nighthawk for the 5.1ghz wifi. You can do that using abc's setup.

You actually have another option as well:

1. Modem <-> R1 <-> Nighthawk
  2. Modem <-> Nighthawk <-> R1 

I'd personally recommend the first one because ALL traffic goes through the R1 so it can help you the most in terms of bandwidth sharing. However you may want to consider the second option if the R1 is not as fast as your Internet speed(greater than 150mbits). In which case I'd recommend connecting as much as possible to the R1 except the computers that are likely to use the higher end bandwidth.

Hope that helps

Thanks for the replies. Im about to purchase this to try it out, and the reason I only throttle the xbox is because of the lag comp I get. I cripple my upload and download heavily but still usable to play and get a smooth connection, and it works really well it eliminates the half a second behind some players problem, "I shot first and I still died" scenarios, however I still end up with some people from far away places. So I figured if this router had control over the upload and download, along with choosing who you play based on location it would be the best gaming experience. 

Guest Netduma_Iain

Thanks for considering purchasing.

We can do what you suggested. But I'm surprised that throttling an xbox alone would help. In theory that should make no difference to your ping at all.  

That would be a great addition, and I dont think lag comp is based on ping alone. There is a youtuber that posted this "lag comp fix" 

he has other videos on it as well, maybe you could take a look.

P.S. I hate myself (out of stock) :/

Guest Netduma_Iain

Unfortunately I can't comment on lag comp as its different for every game and I don't know the internal workings of CoD or other games. 

I looked at the shop, we actually have 1 stock left but someone *maybe* purchasing it right now thats why it says 0. You could try again in 10mins in case he/she didn't buy it. 

Archived