Sudden high ping connection, Netduma has something to do with this?

W11cE

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is Owen with Cox Communications.  lilstone87 asked me about this so I thought I would chime in with the information I had.

We've seen similar things like this happen in the past, but on a different device/chip.  The previous device used an Intel IPX based processor, but the symptoms we pretty much the same thing.(Cisco RV042)  The latency would steadily increase as packets tranversed the modem until it got so bad the modem would need to be reset.  We tried to reproduce it at our office but weren't able to.  We didn't get that many examples, and with all the buttons/knobs in the configuration couldn't figure out the required scenarios to make it happen.  The one common thing?  It only happened on Broadcom based cable modems.  If we switched the modem out to a TI/Intel based modem the issue doesn't happen.

The fact that this is a QCA9344 only makes it more muddy as that is a much more common CPU. I'm not sure if switching to an Intel modem would help here, but I can offer this option.  I can send lilstone a Intel based modem to fix him in the short term and validate this is the "same" Broadcom anomaly we saw before.  The only ask is that you send us a R1, so we can troubleshoot this live from both directions.  That way you can debug the R1 while we debug the modem.  Hopefully that will allow us to crack what is happening with this issue.

This is Owen with Cox Communications.  lilstone87 asked me about this so I thought I would chime in with the information I had.

We've seen similar things like this happen in the past, but on a different device/chip.  The previous device used an Intel IPX based processor, but the symptoms we pretty much the same thing.(Cisco RV042)  The latency would steadily increase as packets tranversed the modem until it got so bad the modem would need to be reset.  We tried to reproduce it at our office but weren't able to.  We didn't get that many examples, and with all the buttons/knobs in the configuration couldn't figure out the required scenarios to make it happen.  The one common thing?  It only happened on Broadcom based cable modems.  If we switched the modem out to a TI/Intel based modem the issue doesn't happen.

The fact that this is a QCA9344 only makes it more muddy as that is a much more common CPU. I'm not sure if switching to an Intel modem would help here, but I can offer this option.  I can send lilstone a Intel based modem to fix him in the short term and validate this is the "same" Broadcom anomaly we saw before.  The only ask is that you send us a R1, so we can troubleshoot this live from both directions.  That way you can debug the R1 while we debug the modem.  Hopefully that will allow us to crack what is happening with this issue.

I'm a natural cynic, but I'll leave this to the Netduma crew to establish bona fides :)

I hope you get it all sorted lilstone

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi odog,

Thanks for responding, I'd like to pursue this further with Scott before we send any units out for testing. 

I could understand the issue being something like dodgy VLAN tagging or something at the physical layer. That would make sense to a certain degree. Any layer above that doesn't really add up. The only thing I could think of is MTU perhaps... but still that's at a stretch.

However here's where it gets interesting. According to Scott the issue persisted with the following topology:

Modem > Another Router > Netduma R1

If that is the case then it can't be the physical layer either so I'm very perplexed. I've got a few experiments I'd like Scott to try before I look into alternatives. Thank-you very much for the offer and taking the time to post here. Also I'll get Scott to keep you updated and we'll post back in this thread.

PS I think its worth mentioning that we haven't spent that much time diagnosing this yet, as we've been understandably busy with other features due to our recent launch.

We didn't get very far with Cisco since we never able to reproduce it.  So I'm hoping you guys will be able to crack it.  In the end I think it is the same issue.  That being said I don't think it is the R1 but more the modem reacting to the router attached to it.

From the packet captures we did with the RV042 we couldn't see anything abnormal.  I don't think it is phy layer, which seems to be reinforced by the double nat'ting when the Asus router in front of the R1.  MTU is a possibility as the RV042 also has a hardware VPN feature which may put a dotq tag inside the VPN'd traffic.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Thanks for the information odog. I'll either let you know how we resolved it or contact you in the near future about sending you a unit. Appreciate you taking the time to post on our forum, thats very kind of you. Hope you enjoy the super ball!

Thanks for the information odog. I'll either let you know how we resolved it or contact you in the near future about sending you a unit. Appreciate you taking the time to post on our forum, thats very kind of you. Hope you enjoy the super ball!

I think you meant *Super Bowl* But we accept your apology in advance, as we know you guy's are from the UK :P :lol:

Guest Netduma Fraser

Had this happening yesterday again :( . Time since last modem reset was 15,5 days.

Was it a factory reset you did or a reboot?

I've had these issues as well and have been speaking to Iain about them. Using ping plotter I have the same issues if the R1 is hooked up or if it's not. It appears there are many issues when tracing in the northeast, especially with google. Those ping spikes are massive ranging from 80-1500. I even ran a rest at my girlfriend's house who also has fios, and no R1 and it had the same spiking and packet loss issues. So after all the troubleshooting I did at multiple locations, I'm pretty confident that it's not the router that is giving us these enormous pings.

Guest Netduma Fraser

Did that today. Doubt it will change anything. Did that already when I installed R1.

Okay well see how it is and let us know :) Have you done an upgrade since the last reset you did?

Guest Netduma Fraser

You mean R1 fw upgrade? Yes, between these i upgraded from .6(pingass) to .7

Yep! Okay well let us know what happens :)

• 1 month later...
  • Netduma Staff

Nope, those were not loose. On trace ping is high between modem and the next hop. I have tried to ping 8.8.8.8 with my modem interface and there its also high ping.

Possibly an ISP issue then? If it is the modem and the next hop it is probably something wrong on their end and not something you can fix - although I may be wrong. Perhaps calling them and giving them your findings will get an engineer out who can fix your problem :)

Archived