How to DMZ R1 on Uverse

I wanted to put this out there because i know there are some other people who have At&t uverse and may not know how to properly setup the R1 on uverse. Uverse routers do not use a normal DMZ setting they use what is called passthrough or bridge mode. To set up the R1 with a uvese NVG589 router you must do the following.

1. Unplug all ethernet cables from the R1 accept the inbound port cable which can connect to any of the 4 ports on the NVG589. *ensure you have your cpu plugged into the NVG589*

2. Open explorer/chrome and go to the ip address for the NVG589 *ip is on the side of the NVG589*

SXtdYOC.png?1

3. You should come to this page.  

ut9bZNq.png?1

4. From this page select "Firewall" then select "IP Passthrough" you will be asked for a "Device Access Code" that code is on the side of the NVG589 router, input code and click continue.

5. You will see this screen next

FXKOjdx.png?1

6. Select "Passthrough" for Allocation then "DHCPS-fixed" for Passthrough Mode. Select the Mac address for the R1 (which on the bottom of the R1) lease time is 10 and does not need to be adjusted. Now click "Save" at the bottom. You will be prompted to reboot your system *select yes, the system must be rebooted*

7. After NVG589 has rebooted please reboot the R1 by pulling the power cable for 15-20 sec and plugging back in.

8. After R1 reboots, you will return to the home screen on the NVG589. You will see a Home Network Device list at the bottom. The R1 should have a ip address different than the other devices. It should begin with something other than 192. This means your R1 is now is DMZ/passthrough and connected directly to you ISP.

9. Plug your cpu back into the R1 and setup as directed by R1 instructions. *Note if need be you can access the NVG589 through R1 by using the NVG589 ip address, so you dont have to switch the cable back and fourth*

10. Plug in consoles, have fun and kick ass!!

Note: On LAN devices which have a Private IP address, once DMZplus mode is selected and you click save, the system will issue a new IP address to the selected computer. The computer must be set to DHCP mode to receive the new IP address from the system, and you must reboot the computer. If you are changing DMZplus mode from one computer to another computer, you must reboot both computers.

Since the netduma has a static Ip, I think there is where the conflict starts

• Error: The Connection Monitor has detected a third party router connected to the 3801HGV

If you want to connect additional computers or devices to your network:

Click the Resolve button below to enable the Connection Manager to correct the problem. There may be a delay of up to one minute while the Connection Manager resolves the problem.

Click the Disable button below if you want to continue using your Router behind Router.

WARNING: Many appl

•  
    refreshed my r1 page and this msg came out re: my isp modem / router
  •  
    The Connection Manager has detected a third party router connected to your 3801HGV. This creates a condition where two routers each attempt to manage devices behind a NAT. This can create instability in your network and affect performance.

The Connection Manager can assign your third party router to DMZPlus Mode. This will allow both the 3801HGV and third party router to share the same 

Fail!

some how my isp router/modem does not detect the r1 dhcp mode on 

Error: Static Device Detected

We have detected a 3rd Party Router connected to this gateway with a static address.

Due to this, we are unable to move the device to DMZPlus mode.

Please change the settings for your 3rd Party Router to DHCP mode.

FAIL!

Error: Static Device Detected

We have detected a 3rd Party Router connected to this gateway with a static address.

Due to this, we are unable to move the device to DMZPlus mode.

Please change the settings for your 3rd Party Router to DHCP mode.

Note: On LAN devices which have a Private IP address, once DMZplus mode is selected and you click save, the system will issue a new IP address to the selected computer. The computer must be set to DHCP mode to receive the new IP address from the system, and you must reboot the computer. If you are changing DMZplus mode from one computer to another computer, you must reboot both computers.

Since the netduma has a static Ip, I think there is where the conflict starts

Try changing the IP on the Duma to the one your Uverse router is giving it. If the usverse router says it should 192.x.x.x in the device list then change it to that.

• 2 months later...
Guest Netduma Fraser

JStric-

Do you get a red light in the port that you connect the R1 in the back of the NVG? I keep getting a red light regardless of which port I plug into.   :(

Does this mean youre not getting an internet connection?

JStric-

Do you get a red light in the port that you connect the R1 in the back of the NVG? I keep getting a red light regardless of which port I plug into.   :(

Yes however my connection is good

• 8 months later...

Your information is beneficial. But I still had issues with my setup of the R1. I did some digging and found this article. I now have an open NAT and I can see hosts on the host filtering page. It took me awhile to get this setup with the NVG589. I personally think its a junk gateway. Now it just a toll bridge lol.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/17734

Archived