Connection setup questions

I am awaiting my router to arrive and had a few questions how it will be best to connect it.

I have att uverse, I have a all in one modem/router system which sits near my TV. There is a telephone style plug which comes from outside into the back of the modem/router which brings in the service, on the ethernet side of this device goes plugged in the set top TV receiver and another cable plugged into ethernet port that I use for a powerline adapter because my ps4 Is in another room, which would be the best way for me to connect my netduma

I am awaiting my router to arrive and had a few questions how it will be best to connect it.

I have att uverse' date='  I have a all in one modem/router system which sits near my TV.  There is a telephone style plug which comes from outside into the back of the modem/router which brings in the service,  on the ethernet side of this device goes plugged in the set top TV receiver and another cable plugged into ethernet port that I use for a powerline adapter because my ps4 Is in another room,  which would be the best way for me to connect my netduma

[/quote']

Hi there,

I think I understood how you're set up, but would it be possible for you to post a photo (or tweet us one) just so we could see how the cabling goes. We will have set up guides going live soon and there is also one in the router box, but I want to ensure this particular set up is covered.

Thanks

Adam

att_uverse_gateway_broadband_router_3801_hgv_3801hgv_wireless_2wire_modem_3_lgw.jpg

http://sishardware.com/imgs/a/a/n/y/e/att_uverse_gateway_broadband_router_3801_hgv_3801hgv_wireless_2wire_modem_3_lgw.jpg

I found this on the internet and its exactly the one I have, I have a telephone cable connected to the green slot, then on the Ethernet slot, a wired Ethernet cable that goes to the set top receiver box to watch tv, and another cable plugged into a powerline adapter for my ps4 in another room.

I pulled out the green phone line this morning to test, and yes my tv went blank and said no service.

ATTUverse2WireRGports.jpg

att_uverse_gateway_broadband_router_3801_hgv_3801hgv_wireless_2wire_modem_3_lgw.jpg

http://sishardware.com/imgs/a/a/n/y/e/att_uverse_gateway_broadband_router_3801_hgv_3801hgv_wireless_2wire_modem_3_lgw.jpg

I found this on the internet and its exactly the one I have' date=' I have a telephone cable connected to the green slot, then on the Ethernet slot, a wired Ethernet cable that goes to the set top receiver box to watch tv, and another cable plugged into a powerline adapter for my ps4 in another room.

I pulled out the green phone line this morning to test, and yes my tv went blank and said no service.

[/quote']

Right that's actually how I thought it was just wanted to make sure, ok so you would have two options here :-

1) If you wanted the R1 to control everything so the tv didn't interfere with your gaming or other devices. The cable you currently have going into the tv now would first plug into the R1, then the tv would connect to the R1, as would your powerline cable.

2) If you wanted to keep the tv side of things completely separate, keep your existing cable in the tv as is, but plug the cable that goes into the powerline first into the R1 then connect the powerline adaptor to the R1. Also any wireless devices should then be set to connect to the R1 not your main router.

either/or would work but obviously option ! gives you full control over everything via the R1 control panel.

Hope this helps

Adam

Yeah Adam, this is what I truly wanted some how for the R1 to control everything so I can use it to its potential, so im basically leave everything how it's connected, but plug in my set top tv box into the R1 which has an Ethernet cable as well as the power line for my PS4 and should be ok right?

because yes since the tv is coming via internet it does lag the connection since bandwidth is being used I would imagine.

I will take a actually picture of set up later, thanks.

Yeah Adam' date=' this is what I truly wanted some how for the R1 to control everything so I can use it to its potential, so im basically leave everything how it's connected, but plug in my set top tv box into the R1 which has an Ethernet cable as well as the power line for my PS4 and should be ok right?

because yes since the tv is coming via internet it does lag the connection since bandwidth is being used I would imagine.

I will take a actually picture of set up later, thanks.

[/quote']

Yep that would be the ideal set up so you could then control everything , I will happily go through a couple of the features on the R1 with you when you set up the R1, so you will be able to set everything up to the optimal settings.

I greatly appreciate that' date=' awesome customer service, cheers buddy!

[/quote']

2f09ily.jpg

Below is my current set up this is my router/modem the green cable is what brings service inside my home, it's like a phone cable. On the ethernet side is connected two cables one that goes connected to the tv set top dvr which is used to watch TV the other ethernet cable a powerline adapter is plugged in so I can get signal in another room for my ps4, still little confused on how woukd I connect the netduma.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi,

Basically the general idea for all set-ups is this:

1. You connect your existing router/modem to the Phone/Fiber line so in your case the green wire.
  2. You connect port 1 of the Netduma router to any other port on your existing router/modem.
  3. You connect ALL your devices to the Netduma router. Just to clarify that is wired and wifi.

Hopefully this guide that comes with the router will help clear it up: http://www.netduma.com/netduma-quickstart.pdf

Hope that makes sense, if not let me know please

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully this guide that comes with the router will help clear it up: http://www.netduma.com/netduma-quickstart.pdf

And if i wanted to use a different wifi device not the Duma's?

What now, this is where im stuck. As i cant log into this wifi device as the ip entered takes me too dumas home screen.

Some devices have internet access and some dont after adding another wifi device trying to use 5ghz.

If you have a secondary router you turn dhcp off and then give it a static ip that isn't in the netduma dhcp range..then you can configure it via a wired box on the network.

Turn wifi off on the netduma so you don't get interference, enjoy

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi faulko,

It depends on how you've set it up. I assume you've done this

Wall <-> Modem <-> R1 <-> Existing Router

If so make sure your wireless is connected to the existing router then enter its default IP, it probably isn't and should NOT bet 192.168.88.1 more likely its 192.168.1.1. But it will be the same as before.

If however you're connected like so:

Wall <-> Modem <-> Existin Router <-> R1

Go to the "Device Manger" on the R1. You'll see a blue box at the top saying it detected another router. Please click the button and that will take you to the existing router.

Either way if you want to use the existing routers WiFi please make sure you're connected to its wifi.

Finally as abc suggested please disable wireless on the R1 if you plan to use wifi on the other router. You can do that by "Settings > Wifi" then selecting disable and clicking apply.

Hope that helps, if not please let me know 

Happy Christmas!!

I cant access the other device, if i enter its ip which is as you say 192.168.1.1 i get the dumas home page the same as if i entered 192.168.88.1

My apple devices connect fine but i cant get into the wifi device and non apple devices can connect.

I unplug the main pc from the duma plun into said wifi router and i get interent (with out touching anything) but no access to the device.

Go to the "Device Manger" on the R1. You'll see a blue box at the top saying it detected another router. Please click the button and that will take you to the existing router.

Yep this is there but it takes me to the modem, not wifi.

Wall socket <-> 7800nxl <-> Duma <-> dsl68r

7800nxl - dhcp and wifi off, id like to bridge it but i cant, so its ppoe as per normal

Duma - as per normal, with Wifi off, with wifi on and the dsl68r unplugged it all works well. But not 5ghz.

DSL68R - cant get into, but when i can should i disable dhcp here aswell or try to make it wifi only?

I have an idea but its a pain and i know the erquipment isnt totally ideal for my setup but its the parts that i have to work with.

I could just use the dsl68r like normal for everyday stuff and when i want to use the ps4 i could just unplug the dsl68r and mate up the 7800nxl and the Duma.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Ok, lets see what we can do :)

Lets upgrade you to the latest version. I'll PM you the details. The latest version has pppoe so you can replace the 7800nxl. Go to "Settings > WAN" you can enable PPPoE and put in your info there. So after the upgrade you'll have:

Wall socket <->  Duma <-> dsl68r

Now you want wifi on the dsl68r. Ideally the dsl68r will have bridge mode. If not devices on the Duma network will not be able to communicate to devices on the dsl68r network. BUT all devices will have Internet access. So all you do is disable wireless on the Duma "Settings > Wifi". Make sure every wifi device connects via dsl68r and you should be good to go!

Ok, lets see what we can do :)

Lets upgrade you to the latest version. I'll PM you the details. The latest version has pppoe so you can replace the 7800nxl. Go to "Settings > WAN" you can enable PPPoE and put in your info there. So after the upgrade you'll have:

Wall socket <->  Duma <-> dsl68r

Now you want wifi on the dsl68r. Ideally the dsl68r will have bridge mode. If not devices on the Duma network will not be able to communicate to devices on the dsl68r network. BUT all devices will have Internet access. So all you do is disable wireless on the Duma "Settings > Wifi". Make sure every wifi device connects via dsl68r and you should be good to go!

I understand many thanks

Although i cant d/load that link.

Archived