How does multiple R1's work together?

shantzonpoint

As you know I ordered my R1 at launch and I'm anxiously awaiting it's arrival.  If it helps my connection woes in AW my nephew will be getting one too.  We live a couple hours apart from each other so what my router might see as a good ping, his might see as a bad one.  Is there or will there be a way we can share who we have blocked?  As we coninue to add bad hosts,it might become a pain if we consistently get separated.

Now lets say my brother gets an R1 as well.  He lives about 7 hours away from me.........

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi,

Maybe Fraser or Adam can answer this better as I haven't had much experience with it on call of duty. 

But when I played with Luke on Halo we found the easiest solution was to have one person control the geo-filter. So for example, I'd join his party and I'd disable my geo-filter. Then his geo-filter would filter players and since I'm with him I would reap the benefits as well.

In fact you can be a good Samaritan as well. I've got a friend in Florida I play Halo with, and since that game is dead its quite hard to get European players at night. So I'd actually move my geofilter to Florida and give him a good game out of the kindness of my own heart.

But again different games may behave differently so hope Fraser/Adam can help out.

Best,

Iain

As you know I ordered my R1 at launch and I'm anxiously awaiting it's arrival.  If it helps my connection woes in AW my nephew will be getting one too.  We live a couple hours apart from each other so what my router might see as a good ping, his might see as a bad one.  Is there or will there be a way we can share who we have blocked?  As we coninue to add bad hosts,it might become a pain if we consistently get separated.

Now lets say my brother gets an R1 as well.  He lives about 7 hours away from me.........

Hi there,

The question about sharing blocked list is something we have been asked about before, and are looking into but there is potential for a "shared list system" to be abused if it was a public feature. so we are working out how best to implement this.

In your scenario you have two options for yourself and your nephew to play , 

If you have the R1 you would be party leader as the game would only use you to decide matchmaking. You could either set your geo filter range so your games are local to you ( and add your nephew to your allow list so he can connect if he is outside that range) , or set it to a place between both of you.

Both scenarios you should fine the quality of the games would be good with low pings , in internet terms 2 hours away physically is nothing for ping.

If you add your brother to the equation too, I would chose the set somewhere between all of you option again, but bear in mind your brother is further so there will be higher pings just due to distance and the way the net routes traffic.

Hi,

Maybe Fraser or Adam can answer this better as I haven't had much experience with it on call of duty. 

But when I played with Luke on Halo we found the easiest solution was to have one person control the geo-filter. So for example, I'd join his party and I'd disable my geo-filter. Then his geo-filter would filter players and since I'm with him I would reap the benefits as well.

In fact you can be a good Samaritan as well. I've got a friend in Florida I play Halo with, and since that game is dead its quite hard to get European players at night. So I'd actually move my geofilter to Florida and give him a good game out of the kindness of my own heart.

But again different games may behave differently so hope Fraser/Adam can help out.

Best,

Iain

So if I am reading this right Iain, you can move the geo filter location and range away from you? So say I live in one state, my buddy lives 3 states away, I can set geo filter location in between us? Which would then most likely benefit us both.

Guest Netduma_Iain

I think I'd either: 

1. Disable geofilter for you console temporarily
  2. Set distance to whole world

Then get your friends in the lobby. You'll have their circles appear. Then just give them 100% rating and they're on your allow list.

Archived