will new modem reduce jitter?

infernomachine

Im at my wits end with Charter, they have been out to the house 3x in the last 3 months. the first to add a signal booster and the other 2 times because i emailed them 12hrs of connection.  Each time they have been out they insist that the nobody ever calls for jitter spikes (24ms, 9-15 jitter). They say it falls in to range, whatever that is.  Would it be dumb of me to replace the modem that charter gave me with the netgear 400?  Also could it be from the signal booster they added. Or do I suck it up and just live with it

appreciate the help

It is more than likely caused by congestion on your isps network in your area.

Fall's into range mean below their acceptable range of jitter before they would invest in more bandwidth.

Have you asked your neighbours that use the same isp if they are seeing jitter?

You might be best to wait out until the next update which has jitter dampening. You might find that this fixes the problem without having to buy a new modem. Then again, it might now :)

"Then again, it might now".....?  I thought it was being released tuesday.   Appreciate the help guys

• Netduma Staff

"Then again, it might now".....?  I thought it was being released tuesday.   Appreciate the help guys

Sorry, that's a typo. Should have said 'not'. I've not heard that it's being released Tuesday - I think thats a cloud update..

Game jitter and isp jitter are two differnent things I am not sure the duma can fix jitter caused by congestion, can it Fraser? could you ask Iain for us?

• Netduma Staff

I'm not sure if it would make a difference where the source of the jitter is. Because from what I understand, it adds a certain amount of latency and drops it off when a spike comes in. Therefore the end result is smoother. So if congestion from your ISP is giving you 9-15ms spikes and the duma added on 5ms, it could potentially (if I've understood it correctly) reduce that to 4-10ms. I'm sure Iain will comment on this and explain - or we'll find out when it's released :)

• Netduma Staff

The duma would add then subtract when the peak comes so you have a higher but stable ping, not lower is my understanding of it. :)

Yes, which I assume is better if it's being developed.

I could be wrong with how it works though. I'm sure it much more complex and clever :)

inferno, do the pingtest.net, ping plotter, and ping diagnostics test for tangible evidence of the jitter and line issues. Call your ISP and demand they install a new line because the line is damaged. As far as a new modem goes im not sure if that would help. Also is charter cable, fiber optics, or dsl? From what I've heard (and experienced), dsl always has a excessive amount of jitter.

Im at my wits end with Charter, they have been out to the house 3x in the last 3 months. the first to add a signal booster and the other 2 times because i emailed them 12hrs of connection.  Each time they have been out they insist that the nobody ever calls for jitter spikes (24ms, 9-15 jitter). They say it falls in to range, whatever that is.  Would it be dumb of me to replace the modem that charter gave me with the netgear 400?  Also could it be from the signal booster they added. Or do I suck it up and just live with it

appreciate the help

charter sucks i have them also and playing online is terrible 

From what I've heard (and experienced), dsl always has a excessive amount of jitter.

Sorry not related to op, but important to have facts rather then perpetuate myths.

DSL (its many variants from ADSL / VDSL etc) do not have excessive jitter. Jitter is not related to the transmission method, rather normally relates to the ISP and how contented they run their network. I've had a DSL variant from day dot (chosen over a poor cable alternative) and other than an ISP issue, I've had almost zero jitter and an excellent gaming line. God knows I've paid enough over the years to be on more expensive ISPs.

Sorry not related to op, but important to have facts rather then perpetuate myths.

DSL (its many variants from ADSL / VDSL etc) do not have excessive jitter. Jitter is not related to the transmission method, rather normally relates to the ISP and how contented they run their network. I've had a DSL variant from day dot (chosen over a poor cable alternative) and other than an ISP issue, I've had almost zero jitter and an excellent gaming line. God knows I've paid enough over the years to be on more expensive ISPs.

building on this, Cable (COAX) on average will have a higher latency (ping time) than DSL

Yes to back this up I was on dsl or we call it adsl for years it was top notch no jitter and the same ping i have now on fibre.

This is deffo a myth you have just had a bad dsl line MrWhooz, just like you can have bad fibre etc.

I'm with charter as well and coax or cable is more inconstant imo then a good dsl or whatever you want to call it. Most of my clan on x360 is on dsl and my ping to them is horrific 100+ ms on average and they're only two miles away, they only have slow speed packages and their in game connection always shows better then mine as well.  

I'm with charter as well and coax or cable is more inconstant imo then a good dsl or whatever you want to call it. Most of my clan on x360 is on dsl and my ping to them is horrific 100+ ms on average and they're only two miles away, they only have slow speed packages and their in game connection always shows better then mine as well.  

thats crazy i even had charter 100 ultra connection the 100 down and 5 up and i didnt see no difference online at all so i downgraded back to the 60 down and 4 up.

everytime i tell them something is wrong they always say o everything looks good on our end when i know for a fact something is wrong i was playing black op 2 yesterday and i was on a one  bar and the host ping was like 40 the whole lobby was on a 4 bar expect me. charter sucks lol and im stuck with them until i move because where im at now thats the only isp we can get 

thats crazy i even had charter 100 ultra connection the 100 down and 5 up and i didnt see no difference online at all so i downgraded back to the 60 down and 4 up.

everytime i tell them something is wrong they always say o everything looks good on our end when i know for a fact something is wrong i was playing black op 2 yesterday and i was on a one  bar and the host ping was like 40 the whole lobby was on a 4 bar expect me. charter sucks lol and im stuck with them until i move because where im at now thats the only isp we can get 

you don't need that much upload/download to game...

You need about ~750Kb/s up and down and you are fine...you won't get host but you can game just fine...

Note: With this small amount of bandwidth if you have others using the internet to even watch youtube you'll lag tremendously...

Gaming requires very little bandwidth, the biggest part is latency and that means DSL is the winner normally as it goes from Twisted pair cable to fiber...not COAX to COAX to COAX to COAX 

Archived