Welcome to Netduma Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Outside of my house - where does my signal go?

Outside plant street view coax cable TV plant signals

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
108 replies to this topic

Dillinger

Dillinger

[Duma] Armorer

• Moderators
  • 2,621 posts

there was one of those green boxes just like the one in Lukasz's first picture in my town centre on the main street.

it had one of the doors hanging off it for months and i'm not even exagerating one bit.

another one locally is so rusty that the bottom front edge has rusted away leaving a crumbling jagged gap all the way along it

These are all too common I am afraid, and this is what I am talking about when I say that the wiring in your house is something you can control, but it's not the real problem when you are talking about twitch shooters like Call of Duty and Battlefield

Las Vegas - Early R1 Adopter | CoD Player | 1911 aficionado

"Improvement usually means doing something we have never done before" Shigeo Shingo

lukasz

lukasz

Forum Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,645 posts

Call me an old romantic, but I would be sending the missus out to stand guard while I was gaming if it were my cab - LOL

I still can't believe it was left open, and in that state.  Every cabinet I've EVER looked at has been locked down tighter than a Nun's asshole.  It looks as though there's a public warning notice on the inside of the cab door - which is odd in itself.  If you get the chance, could you take a pic of that also? 

Cheers lukasz!

will back home tommorow afternon if its still open will make a picture.

Love that sentence about lady guarding lol that made me lough a lot..

Posted Image

Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

• Clubhouse Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

That is actually a stand reminder sticker.  Beware, Take care, Don't DISCONNECT in error". 

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. It looks more like a warning to the general public from the little I can see tho.  We'll know more if lukasz can grab a pic.

there was one of those green boxes just like the one in Lukasz's first picture in my town centre on the main street.

it had one of the doors hanging off it for months and i'm not even exagerating one bit.

another one locally is so rusty that the bottom front edge has rusted away leaving a crumbling jagged gap all the way along it

I always knew there was a better class of citizen in 'Nam, Toby Jugs.  If that was Gloucester, the copper would've been robbed in minutes mate  :D

will back home tommorow afternon if its still open will make a picture.

Love that sentence about lady guarding lol that made me lough a lot..

Thanks lukasz   :)

But I safely have the clam eating Gorilla joining me, and really, when a guy is so thick he has to type with a stick, what are the odds he WON'T mess something up??  :rolleyes:  :P

lukasz

lukasz

Forum Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,645 posts
Dude im my home conutry the would take all comper from inside and take the cabinet as well.

Posted Image

toby jugs

toby jugs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

in Gloucester they would have stripped the copper from the substations supplying the power to the exchanges too

cranium2001

cranium2001

• Clubhouse Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts
I'm a 3%er. Hip hip hooray!

Sgt-Greco

Sgt-Greco

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Kind of a loaded question, but let me see if I can clarify and give you an answer.

Assuming that everything coming from the outside is in top notch condition, (i.e. you have all the signal you need, everything is maintained correctly and you don't have any ancient gear or plan on extending from the wall plate with string and bubblegum) then yes.

In an apartment setting, you are kind of limited in what you can do with rewiring, so if it's convenient and the incoming signal is within specs, go for it.

I'm doomed.

Internet first enters my place inside this box (along with other stuff). How am I supposed to hook a modem up there?   :(

unnamed.jpg

Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

• Clubhouse Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
Sgt-Greco,  Can you open the box?  If so, take some pictures of whatever's inside, paying attention to any available connections, and JD will most likely be able to tell you what your options are.    

I'm speculating, but I'd imagine you would be able to run tails from the box to locate a modem/router in a more convenient place.

But I safely have the clam eating Gorilla joining me, and really, when a guy is so thick he has to type with a stick, what are the odds he WON'T mess something up??  :rolleyes:  :P

Sgt-Greco

Sgt-Greco

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Piece of cake bro. A couple of phillips head screws and the lid is off. 

But I already know what's inside:

- All the alarm IR sensor cables 

- All the phone lines end up in here.

- A single power line (220V 50 Hz)

In a few words a mess...

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 16,304 posts

Fantastic post Dillinger, great read and very informative, I'm really looking forward to the next parts as well! I've pinned this thread also :)

Technical support:

Optimal Settings Guide - How to set up your Netduma R1 quickly with optimum settings. Includes: How to get your full speeds, opening your NAT & Geo-filter settings etc. 
Knowledge Base - All of our guides/suggestions on the Netduma router. Anything you want to know is likely answered here. 
Current firmware version (1.03.6i) - If you are on anything below this, follow the instructions carefully to upgrade.

Any other issues please make a new topic on the forum. Please do not create multiple topics/PMs/Social Media posts. Keep it to one topic on the forum, it will be answered. Thank you.

Twitter/Facebook/YouTube/Twitch/Instagram/Steam Group/Discord

Official Support Times: 10am - 6pm GMT

World Clock

fuzzy clam

fuzzy clam

Forum Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,713 posts

What the hell does this have to do with firearms...LMAO

Great post as always Dillinger,very informative with your on point sense of humor thrown in,love it

frustrated I just got a new NETDUMA, and I can't connect, how do I get the password for the Wi-Fi

:P

Dillinger

Dillinger

[Duma] Armorer

• Moderators
  • 2,621 posts

I'm doomed.

Internet first enters my place inside this box (along with other stuff). How am I supposed to hook a modem up there?   :(

unnamed.jpg

Interesting.  I have seen these applications before, but they are usually custom builds.  Is there a wired pass through from that location to the inset wall with the glass/plexiglass cover below it?  Empty conduits, pull strings or maybe just matching colored cables with or without ends on them?

"Improvement usually means doing something we have never done before" Shigeo Shingo

Dillinger

Dillinger

[Duma] Armorer

• Moderators
  • 2,621 posts

Fantastic post Dillinger, great read and very informative, I'm really looking forward to the next parts as well! I've pinned this thread also :)

Thanks Fraser - I am gathering some pictures and working on the street view next, along with a primer for those interested in FTTC/FTTH applications.

What the hell does this have to do with firearms...LMAO

Great post as always Dillinger,very informative with your on point sense of humor thrown in,love it

LOL - Easy big guy, I got you.  Working on a thread concept for you, just need to figure out a couple of angles to keep it entertaining. :)

Vance

Vance

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

That is how and what I see choppy games besides lower speeds. I just checked my modems Event Log and yes a lot of error messages. I sent them proof. Thank you for your input now I have words to back up what I see.

No  problem, hopefully mine will be fixed this week. they sent the ticket to maintainance, so that they can split the headend because it's too crowded. I hope it fixes the choppy gameplay!

lukasz

lukasz

Forum Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,645 posts

You asked for some more pictures. Guess what i got the for you.

Bear in mind that first pictures i shared and those are couple days ago and the cabinet is still open.

http://i.imgur.com/dugSBDl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Wmbq4lS.jpg

Posted Image

BENORMOUS

BENORMOUS

Forum Legend

• Clubhouse Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts

You asked for some more pictures. Guess what i got the for you.

Bear in mind that first pictures i shared and those are couple days ago and the cabinet is still open.

http://i.imgur.com/dugSBDl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Wmbq4lS.jpg

Lukasz how do you still have broadbabd man that's an absolute disgrace

lukasz

lukasz

Forum Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,645 posts
Seems like people are gently avoiding cabels on side walk

Posted Image

Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

• Clubhouse Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
Thanks lukasz :)  It's still wide open!  In our 'compensation culture', I'm surprised nobody has accidently-on-purpose tripped over and seriously injured themselves, yet.

"This cabinet has been overhauled.

Disciplinary action will be taken against persons proven to have used non-standard working practices or to have left the cabinet in an untidy state."

Oh, the irony.  :rolleyes:

lukasz

lukasz

Forum Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,645 posts
Sure its funy though i would the cabinet would be owned by virgin media but is seems like virgin is using it but the cabinet its owned by different company.

Posted Image

Sgt-Greco

Sgt-Greco

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Interesting.  I have seen these applications before, but they are usually custom builds.  Is there a wired pass through from that location to the inset wall with the glass/plexiglass cover below it?  Empty conduits, pull strings or maybe just matching colored cables with or without ends on them?

The plexiglass board is packed with all the apartment's fuses. (High voltage cables)

The box above contains only low voltage cables  and just one pair of high voltage (220V/50Hz) for power supply.

Messing with the lower panel in any way is an absolute no-no, unless you need an afro-hair look.