Installation Question

Hello All,

I have noticed that a lot of users want to install the R1 downstream of an existing router.  Is there an advantage to doing that instead of just replacing the existing router with he R1?  I have an Asus RT-N66U.

Thanks in advance.

Guest Netduma Fraser

Hello All,

I have noticed that a lot of users want to install the R1 downstream of an existing router.  Is there an advantage to doing that instead of just replacing the existing router with he R1?  I have an Asus RT-N66U.

Thanks in advance.

No it has to be connected to an existing router/modem :)

Guest Netduma Fraser

May have not been clear.  I have an existing Modem > RT-N66U .......

Is there a benefit to going to Modem > RT-N66U > R1...... instead of Modem > R1.......

Oh sorry, thanks for clarifying. The only benefit would be if your RT has features that the R1 doesnt such as 5GHz wifi. However, you wouldnt be able to make use of some of the R1 features if you used that setup.

Oh sorry, thanks for clarifying. The only benefit would be if your RT has features that the R1 doesnt such as 5GHz wifi. However, you wouldnt be able to make use of some of the R1 features if you used that setup.

Not a problem.  I wasn't clear.  Thanks for the info.   Do you know what in the R1 wouldn't be available with this type of set-up?

Not a problem.  I wasn't clear.  Thanks for the info.   Do you know what in the R1 wouldn't be available with this type of set-up?

If you put the RT in before the R1 then anything that connects directly to RT wouldnt be under the R1 control (so wouldn't work for congestion control etc)

The only reason to put the rt infront of the r1 is if you have an Internet speed higher than 160Mb/s...

Otherwise you'll want to do modem <-> r1 <-> rt and use the rt for wifi only

Don't we all have greater than 160Mb/s  :)

Putting the RT after the R1 makes sense if I need to go that way.  

Thanks all for the help.

• 1 month later...

I have this setup currently with the : Modem <-> R1 <-> Asus. But with any hardwired devices would you connect them to the r1 or the (access point-where all of your wireless devices are connecting). It would only be two hardwired devices : Xbox One and Desktop.  

Archived