[Suggestion] [Documentation] Features & Specification

Hi,

It's hard being able to find every single feature and aspect of this router.

You have the Features page, but that only displays the unique selling points.

Can you please add a page that has a table or text-based list fo each feature, specification and aspect of the router?

• Netduma Staff

I was thinking something a bit more comprehensive, such as the exact wireless bands it supports, the wireless standards, number of ports, info on the power adaptor etc.

There's some info here about the actual hardware used :) 

What do you need 5Ghz for?

Whenever I've used 2.4Ghz, the signal is terribly bad at times, and the ping is considerably higher and less stable. On 5Ghz, I can get 4ms to 8ms ping, and a stable connection throughout.

• Netduma Staff

Whenever I've used 2.4Ghz, the signal is terribly bad at times, and the ping is considerably higher and less stable. On 5Ghz, I can get 4ms to 8ms ping, and a stable connection throughout.

The router was developed with gamers as the main user, so as most gamers play wired (as that is the only way to get a solid connection), 5Ghz Wifi wasn't added.

The Wifi on the Netduma is very strong - if you look around the forum you'll see many people say that :)

The router was developed with gamers as the main user, so as most gamers play wired (as that is the only way to get a solid connection), 5Ghz Wifi wasn't added.

The Wifi on the Netduma is very strong - if you look around the forum you'll see many people say that :)

I just don't see it being a worthwhile investment, £150, for a router that lacks ac and 5Ghz, it's a bit behind the times. I think those two things together mean I'm going to have to buy a different router, unfortunately.

I just don't see it being a worthwhile investment, £150, for a router that lacks ac and 5Ghz, it's a bit behind the times. I think those two things together mean I'm going to have to buy a different router, unfortunately.

Sounds like you have different priorities or needs for a router.  What you're paying mostly for with the Netduma is the software (for the gaming audience firstly) and excellent support from a startup company.  Eventually the hardware will be up to snuff as well, not that it's bad right now.  Maybe check again in a year or two if you're on the lookout for bleeding-edge hardware in the router WITH a powerful gaming firmware (and the latter is still a niche premium which will probably bump the price up as well)!

• Netduma Staff

Oh well. I wouldn't say it's 'behind the times'. The hardware isn't state of the art but it in reality it isn't bad at all. The price you pay isn't just for the hardware, it's mainly for the software which is way ahead of other router's.

Sounds like you have different priorities or needs for a router.  What you're paying mostly for with the Netduma is the software (for the gaming audience firstly) and excellent support from a startup company.  Eventually the hardware will be up to snuff as well, not that it's bad right now.  Maybe check again in a year or two if you're on the lookout for bleeding-edge hardware in the router WITH a powerful gaming firmware (and the latter is still a niche premium which will probably bump the price up as well)!

Oh well. I wouldn't say it's 'behind the times'. The hardware isn't state of the art but it in reality it isn't bad at all. The price you pay isn't just for the hardware, it's mainly for the software which is way ahead of other router's.

If we could pay for the software and load it on to our own router, I'd consider that for sure. But I don't feel that buying a router with hardware that would mean downgrading my current set-up in order to get better software is a viable option.

• Netduma Staff

If we could pay for the software and load it on to our own router, I'd consider that for sure. But I don't feel that buying a router with hardware that would mean downgrading my current set-up in order to get better software is a viable option.

What is your current set-up? Could you put the Netduma right at the front and then put the other routers or whatever you have into bridge-mode?

What is your current set-up? Could you put the Netduma right at the front and then put the other routers or whatever you have into bridge-mode?

Not sure how bridging would work - particularly with an SH2AC. I see no option for that.

Currently I just have the SH2AC, the main reasons I asked for VM to give me that is the ac and 5Ghz.

The 2.4Ghz in my area is highly over-populated, along with the amount of devices we connect to the router, it just doesn't work having them all on 2.4Ghz.

The choices some people have to make.

If your looking for 5 Ghz then surely you should look for something else. If your looking for a true gaming router (Not the ones that others advertise) then this makes sense. I know PS4 only has 2Ghz for wifi and you do not need the 5 Ghz. The software and support is what your investing in this. This router may not be for everyone for many reason. But If your looking for what I believe is cutting edge software, then there is one. Unless some else copies what they are doing. 

This is an argument tons of people have had... The solution is very simple

Modem > ROUTER YOU LOVE > R1 > Consoles

The ROUTER YOU LOVE can be anything for me it is a WRT1900AC as this also runs OpenWRT...however it could be anything, the duma wireless is slow and buggy this isn't because of their implementation it is just the hardware.

As Crossy pointed out this is just a Firmware running ontop of a OpenWRT support router.  You are paying for the awesome technical support that Netduma has provided and their dedication to making this product the best gaming router in the world (already is)...

So the point isn't I want wireless from the duma, it is I want to game on the duma...It shouldn't in my opinion be your primary router if you are as picky as you seem and as me.

Why can't you buy the firmware and install anywhere? because then it could be decompiled and stolen by anyone and everyone.  The hardware it runs on currently doesn't have any easy dumping method which protects them.  Opening it to say the WRT1900AC would allow me to dump the firmware, or access the router directly over SSH

As other people have done as well, I use an Asus router to act as a wireless Access Point only and still use the Duma for what it is made for. I need the 5 Ghz band as well because of the speeds I have for my WAN. 

Archived