How to setup with existing router

Hi Guys,

So, I have a R7000 nighthawk as my main router, currently connected to my Motorola SB6121.

My setup is this:

Modem -> Nighthawk -> 24 port gigabit switch -> consoles(Xbox One, PS4, WiiU)

-> PC(Streaming, Gaming)

Now, what I would like to do ideally is connect ONLY the consoles to the R1 router.

So my setup would look like this:

Modem -> nighthawk -> 24port gigabit switch -> R1 router -> consoles

-> PC

-> (Other networking stuff)

Would all the features of the R1 still work? I realize that QOS wouldn't work, but I'm not to worried about that. What I'm wondering is if the host limiting and those other features would still work.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I think this could work, but imho it's not best to maximizing the use of the netduma router. As like you said, QoS isn't gonna work like it should with the setup you posted. Plus I could see maybe issue with double NAT, with both the Nighthawk, and Netduma being used in same router mode.

Well I think this could work' date=' but imho it's not best to maximizing the use of the netduma router. As like you said, QoS isn't gonna work like it should with the setup you posted. Plus I could see maybe issue with double NAT, with both the Nighthawk, and Netduma being used in same router mode.

[/quote']

Actually Iain was forward thinking when he was developing and addressed the issue of a double nat early on, so it wouldn't be a problem.

Hi Guys' date='

So, I have a R7000 nighthawk as my main router, currently connected to my Motorola SB6121.

My setup is this:

-> PC(Streaming, Gaming)

Now, what I would like to do ideally is connect ONLY the consoles to the R1 router.

-> PC

Would all the features of the R1 still work? I realize that QOS wouldn't work, but I'm not to worried about that. What I'm wondering is if the host limiting and those other features would still work.

[/quote']

Hi, I know Iain said he'd get back to you to discuss your particular set up, but I just wanted to quickly reply to your question.

As you rightly pointed out the anti flood feature wouldn't work in this current set up , so this could affect your console gaming to some degree, but apart from that all the other features would still work fine geo filter, allow and deny ect.

If you don't mind me asking what else is connected via the switch is it the pc and (other networking stuff) ?

Hi Guys' date='

My setup is this:

-> PC(Streaming, Gaming)

-> PC

[/quote']

Hi, I know Iain said he'd get back to you to discuss your particular set up, but I just wanted to quickly reply to your question.

As you rightly pointed out the anti flood feature wouldn't work in this current set up , so this could affect your console gaming to some degree, but apart from that all the other features would still work fine geo filter, allow and deny ect.

If you don't mind me asking what else is connected via the switch is it the pc and (other networking stuff) ?

NAS, TV, Apple TV, and multipule wireless devices.

Hi Guys' date='

My setup is this:

-> PC(Streaming, Gaming)

-> PC

[/quote']

NAS, TV, Apple TV, and multipule wireless devices.

Your set up sounds slightly similar to mine , depending what your home connection is like and how you have everything set up i'm sure we could come up with a good configuration that would actually give you the best of both worlds so you would be able to utilize all the features including our Device Prioritisation and Anti flood to some degree.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi,

If you just wanted our features to work on those devices only then the set up you posted would indeed work.

However I suspect you're doing this to get 5ghz wifi. If so I'd suggest you disable wifi on our router and do this instead:

modem <-> R1 <-> switch & nighthawk

Put the nighthawk in bridge mode if possible, I believe they call it open mode. This will switch off the firewall, but our firewall is still on so its not an issue.

Now the only issue with this is if you want to exceed our max speed, which is soon to be 150mbits(it will be this at least when you get it) and hopefully even more after a future patch. If speeds an issue then you may want to go for your original set up and only put the computers that use excessive bandwidth on the nighthawk side. Remember though if your Internet speed is less than our max speed then you won't achieve anything by going through nighthawk.

Hope that helps, if not let me know please

Iain,

It appears to me, with the 24 port gigabit switch. He's trying to keep part of his network up to a gigabit, reason for netduma router behind the switch. If he is like me though, once I get my hands on the netduma. I am gonna compare it's 2.4ghz performance vs my current router, and disable the one I get poorer results from. So I may end up having netduma router providing the 2.4ghz band, and my current router for the 5ghz band.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Sounds like you know exactly what to do. Just in case OP is interested in high speed LAN throughput, he won't need to use nighthawk for it as the R1 has gigabit LAN speed. Its only when going from LAN to WAN.

• 2 weeks later...

Good day I would buy this magnificent router but I have a doubt !
I have an Asus DSL - N55U Modem / Router , and I would like to know if it comptaibile with netduba r1 !
If you like I should install it ?
Sorry for the English but I'm using google translator

Ps:Do expeditions in Italy ?

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi crazy joker,

Thank-you for considering purchasing the netduma R1. Yes it will work, you just plug it in into the modem and it should work out the box.

So even if mine is a modem / router should not be in conflict with the settings geolocation etc. right?

My setup would this 

download.jpg

Sorry if I repeat myself but before buying it I would be 100% sure that it works

Yep thats exactly how you should set it up, depending what sort of combo you have you would then either put it in bridge mode or you can put the R1 into the dmz of the combo unit so theres no nat conflicts .

Yep thats exactly how you should set it up, depending what sort of combo you have you would then either put it in bridge mode or you can put the R1 into the dmz of the combo unit so theres no nat conflicts .

Thank you so much then tonight at 8 pm I proceed to ' purchase

Sorry if this is taking the conversation into a loop.  I am not tech savy.

I have an asus rt-66r running a 1 gbit connections to my computers.  I was wondering if I could run the R1 through the asus router.
The set up would look like ISP service box (fiber optic line to ethernet) -> Asus router-> R1-> gaming consoles.  Can that work? would all the features of the router work?

Thank You

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi Guateuc,

Firstly thanks for considering purchasing the netduma R1. You can have the R1 run through the asus, the only downside is that the R1 can't control devices not connected to it. This means the congestion control(anti-flood & device prioritisation) will not be able to operate on those devices. Meaning that if those devices download/upload heavily they could impact your game ping. 

Hope that helps.

Helo so my current step up is i have virgin media superhub in modem mode then i have TP LINK ROUTER and form there cable connected to ps4 and rest on wireless 2 phones and 2 pc so wath would be the best set up in your opinion as i wont to keep 5ghz for TP LINK my upload is 6 and down is 106 and yes i already oredred my r1 should be on its way

Helo so my current step up is i have virgin media superhub in modem mode then i have TP LINK ROUTER and form there cable connected to ps4 and rest on wireless 2 phones and 2 pc so wath would be the best set up in your opinion as i wont to keep 5ghz for TP LINK my upload is 6 and down is 106 and yes i already oredred my r1 should be on its way

If you are actually using Wireless AC, or the 2.4Ghz band is saturated in your area then you are going to need to keep using the TP LINK as an Access Point.

To do this you will hook up your system as follows:

Virgin Media Superhub (bridge mode) <-> R1 (WiFi Off) <-> TP LINK setup in bridge mode with wifi enabled

On TP Link you will do the following:

Step 1. Disable DHCP

Step 2. Disable Firewall (if present)

Step 3. Specify the Gateway

Step 3.1. 192.168.88.1 by default and DNS to 8.8.8.8 or 192.168.88.1 (might fail)

This will allow you to get the most out of the geo-filter and the congestion control (QoS) systems built into the R1.  I believe the R1 now supports your speeds so there is no reason it shouldn't be your gateway.

Thanks!

Archived