Development Diary

Netduma Iain

How about a very small update to password protect the device manager page? I NEED this badly. It couldn't take more than a second to do. Otherwise I really am going to have to take out the r1 in favor of a router that can protect logins and device management.

i'm confused now...if you have a router/gateway that can do password protection put it in front of the netduma R1 temporarily as it will solve your situation 100%

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'm confused now...if you have a router/gateway that can do password protection put it in front of the netduma R1 temporarily as it will solve your situation 100%

i dont want another router in front of it... and they would still be able to access the R1 anyway. i like the simplicity of a single router>modem.

i dont want another router in front of it... and they would still be able to access the R1 anyway. i like the simplicity of a single router>modem.

i'm confused because your wife is saying you can't stop them from paying any and all the time...but this isn't true if you have another router...

it is a temporary solution, not a permanent one and if it would make my wife stop bugging me it would of happened 1 hour after the 3rd time she bothered me

Ok just a minor update. I have got the new algorithms working in the wild and I'm now back in the lab with the aim of taking the incredible results so far and trying to get them as close to perfection as possible. I've already discovered some interesting causes of latency that have nothing to do with networking.

The delays are coming from system mechanisms, so we can reduce that further. I think we need to move away from a router being a computer that can route to a device dedicated to the task of routing with the extra ability to handle some user tasks, turn things on their head. Anyway I've allocated myself this week and weekend to squeeze as much performance as possible.

After that I'll do a write-up for myself and revisit it in a few months. This will leave me time to get all the feature requests developed and bring out an update afterwards. I know its been a while but research is an extremely slow process. You have no idea if the alley you go down will yield any positive results. I guess research is a bit like gambling in that way. 

Anyway thanks to everyone being patient on the next upgrade, exciting times are ahead.

Thanks Iain for your great work :)

Do you think the new update will come in December?

• Administrators

Cheers guys, yes Chive it will be way before December. I imagine the big upgrade will before Oct the minor one a couple of weeks. The big upgrade will transform the router, giving it much more capabilities and finer control.

Cheers guys, yes Chive it will be way before December. I imagine the big upgrade will before Oct the minor one a couple of weeks. The big upgrade will transform the router, giving it much more capabilities and finer control. 

Good to know.

I think it will be easier for you to implement a maximum of new features and have time to test it.

Sounds like we might need some tutorial videos as well Iain

i'm confused because your wife is saying you can't stop them from paying any and all the time...but this isn't true if you have another router...

it is a temporary solution, not a permanent one and if it would make my wife stop bugging me it would of happened 1 hour after the 3rd time she bothered me

How on earth do I prevent them from accessing it? How are the devices controlled from two routers? Which is the dhcp? How does the other router control access? I dont get how you would set this up?

In order for the r1 to work, they need to be connected to it? Otherwise it is pointless being in the system...

How on earth do I prevent them from accessing it? How are the devices controlled from two routers? Which is the dhcp? How does the other router control access? I dont get how you would set this up?

In order for the r1 to work, they need to be connected to it? Otherwise it is pointless being in the system...

Ah if it is just questions we have the answers ! :)

So you'll first do the following:

Modem -> Other Router

You'll have it with DHCP but you'll give a Static DHCP Lease to the netduma (if you need help with this i'll need to know what the other router is).

Then you'll plug the netduma into one of the ports on the other router, so you have

Modem -> Other Router -> netduma

now you add the netduma to the DMZ of the other router.

Now your kids will connect to the R1 so they get the geofilter and all the other gaming benefits.

Depending on the Other router you can disable the netduma on a schedule or manually.  This means although they are connected to the netduma, the duma can't do anything.

I hope some of the above makes a little sense, let me know what your other router model is and i'll give a tutorial with pictures

but then i cant do anything either... see the problem?

im pretty adept at setting up networks... i see what you are describing but it wont work.

the only way i can possibly see if if the other router controls the DHCP, have forwarding for the R1 though that router and manage devices through other router somehow? i dont see a way however of that working.

Thats the way I have my router and it works great.

but then i cant do anything either... see the problem?

im pretty adept at setting up networks... i see what you are describing but it wont work.

the only way i can possibly see if if the other router controls the DHCP, have forwarding for the R1 though that router and manage devices through other router somehow? i dont see a way however of that working.

which way? the way abc described i cant limit due to ME using the R1 while disabling the kids. 

then deactivate the wifi, or if its already wired lock all cables away

or even unplug the R1

there surely are ways to prevent your children from playing without password protection

i mean you could also lock the gaming devices away, or password-protect those devices when they boot up

• Netduma Staff

Seriously guys? You think I haven't thought of that or done that? I'm asking for the most simple thing that should be standard on the router...

Edit: wow I sound bitchy.

I understand you want password protection, and it's already been said many many times it will be available in the next update. What you've been given here are alternatives until then which aren't as good and have their downsides but would work :)

I understand your frustration, when your kids are being as ingenious as they are.

I dont know if this has been suggested or you have tried it, turing off WiFi (change the passwhile while your at it to c46c3ycVyggf76fF5d45dF something unguessable and if they are lifing passwords from the browser as plain txt use "sandboxie" as it would be like nothing happened when you clear the sandbox, unretrievable. 

Hiding Ethernet cables In the loft or under floor boards ;)

School is about to start up this week. Prior to this they had a schedule on the router of when it was on or not. Unfortunately these workarounds don't work and will be easier just to switch routers back until I have this minimal level of access protection. It just defeats having the R1. Sounds like netduma needs to hire another programmer to take care of stuff like this while Iain focuses on his voodoo.

I appreciate the suggestions though. Just something I am having to somehow deal with.

Sounds like netduma needs to hire another programmer to take care of stuff like this while Iain focuses on his voodoo.

They are a small company like 3 paid employees, if they hired an intern to do something like this Iain would have to show him for 3 months as that is the standard amount of training time. Then you'd also have to worry about divergent code bases.

IE Iain would have to merge his code with the other developers code...not hard if done in small increments but sucks on large features like Iain likes to code.

Basically it rarely makes things faster and would just slow it down.

If they are using git Iain could branch master (current release) put in password protection and merge it in to all other branches. But I don't know what he is using or if a source control system works with the router code he is writing.

Archived