Development Diary

Netduma Iain

• Administrators

Hi everyone,

I often tweet out minor updates about the development progress. It recently occurred to me that many of you aren't on twitter. So I'll write about my progress from time to time in this thread. 

Basically most of the work so far has been research so nothing tangible however this should mean a huge difference when development comes. Anyway I've developed the 900mbits upgrade which I did ages ago. I believe I've written code to fix the faulty modems some US users have as well.

I've rewritten the congestion control algorithm, now we have anti-spike, anti-jitter, etc. Also this algorithm not only lowers latency, jitter, spikes it also improves fairness and responsiveness. So you'll have much finer control over the quality of your connection. Just for example I recently did a test that ran at full throughput with a max spike of 4ms. 

After I've got this working I'm going to design the new engine. If the 900mbit and the new congestion control algo connect well to it I'll release a minor update with those. If not you'll have to wait for one massive update. 

Finally the great abc is working on an app for the Duma so I'm super excited about that! 

Cheers,

Iain

PS massive thanks to Fraser and everyone for helping out. I find it very hard to context switch, working exclusively on R&D has significantly reduced development time although many of you probably think otherwise lol. Software is a difficult thing to plan/predict that's why we don't have deadlines.

PPS Fraser is now in charge of clouds as well, so remember to keep posting your incorrect locations as Fraser will be doing the cloud updates often. 

PPPS Fraser is also in charge of getting the t-shirts designed. So please hound him to get it done ;) 

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this update will unleash the true power of the R1

frnXxyM.gif

btw im not a big twitter fan so thanks for the diary :)

the general anticipation on the firmware release gets a lot more bearable when reading regular updates on the progress :)

the following quote sounds like a real milestone for networking

i mean 4ms!!!, this would open up totally new perspectives for my otherwise pretty small internet connection

make sure to market that well enough, there are a lot of people who would love to have that and i doubt theres any other router out there that can do anything like that!

I've rewritten the congestion control algorithm, now we have anti-spike, anti-jitter, etc. Also this algorithm not only lowers latency, jitter, spikes it also improves fairness and responsiveness. So you'll have much finer control over the quality of your connection. Just for example I recently did a test that ran at full throughput with a max spike of 4ms.

• Administrators

cheers guys!

Od1n I intend to post a blog soon with comparison against top of the line routers. I think the results will speak for themselves. Hopefully that will start to help people realise that hardware has very little to do with connection it's a software problem(like most things in life). 

on a sidenote Iain, somthing i thought about yesterday

since you said in the next firmware you can assign actual bandwidth values to each device in the network monitor

maybe itll be worth a thought to offer a hybrid of "share excess" and forced bandwidth values

eg set your Xbox One to 1mbit up 1mbit down forced which should be sufficient for gaming but have all other devices share the remaining bandwidth via "share excess"

• Administrators

If I do a minor update that won't be implemented but in future updates there will be advanced version where you can do even more than that ;) 

Thanks for keeping us updated Iain and believe me I'l bug the shit out of Fraser about the T-Shirts.

And this update is gonna help me out with some of the issues I have related to my ISP

On the top of the game as always.

I sad it may times will say it again. This routerbis unike because of the people behinde it.

I can feel it coming....

Archived