network question

Helo everybody again thx for all the support i have learned a lot here . I have some more questions first to guys from the uk that are customers of virgin media

1.i runn a pingtest.net test on 4 different servers around the time i am gaiming ( when i did the test nothing else woes using the net) and i come across results that about 40 % af that test to all the servers had big jitter(20+) and servers were in GB IRELAND GERMANY AND HOLLAND. IS phoneing VM will change any thing and it bad and do any of you have something like this

2.about MTU i have read a bout it a bit and poepole on the net sems to say that keeping it lower than 1500 is good for gaming what do you think about that

3. Dns servers whit are the best for net duma

4.i have i filter on my coax cable can that couse this jittery it woes put there by virgin media technician becouse my internet woes very unstable like very very unstable and since that thing is on it very stable in terms of staying at the speed i paid for i will atach pic of it below

5. Is buying one of this ping boost thing power links is going to change something

6. Since like 5 days i only play on dedicated servs iam based in london hiw about you guys? I wies thinking they dont have dedicated servers on cod

Again i love this forum thx for R1 and you help guys

post-331-0-12256700-1420708289_thumb.jpg

1) 20ms jitter isn't great. But don't put all your faith in those servers, I've seen some screwy results from pingtest. Perhaps run an extended cmd prompt ping to a local server will give you a good idea of stability and packet loss.

But the jitter and stability of Virgin media is one of the reasons I'm no longer with them. If you are in a heavily contended area then the service is bad I'm my experience.

2) I'd recommend keeping the MTU at recommended value for Virgin network (can't recall what is was when I was on it). I remember MTU being a bigger tweak back in early adsl days rather than for fibre.

3) DNS servers have nothing to do with Netduma. Just pick whichever ones give you best performance (have zero effect of gaming, just website address resolving).

4) DO NOT TOUCH THAT COAX FILTER! you said yourself the connection was worse before it. Your signal from VIrgin is poor without it and this helps clean it up to give you a better connection stability. Won't affect basic ping though.

5) don't know what the ping booster thing is (didn't link). It be wary of anything claiming to lessen your ping. Ping is just a factor of distance, barring any connection issues affecting it at a given time).

Best advise in my opinion, given what I would assume is a heavily contended node for Virgin, leave for alternative FTTC fibre. Generally if one fibre version is heavily oversubscribed in an area the other is under utilised and will be a better experience.

I'm on BT FTTC, 80meg down / 20 meg up, 15ms ping to London (from Scotland) and ping servers in Germany / France at 25-30ms. But best of all its stable. Ping and download / upload is rock solid.

Good luck

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi mate,

Many of these tricks people suggest to help your ping won't. You can go down a rabbit hole of over analysing.

PS Don't worry about ping/jitter unless its in your game. If say you play 10 games and every game the jitter is high. Then its your end and you can look into it. If you suspect its your end I suggest you play at 4am if possible and see if plays better. If so then its probably a contention issue. 

Hi mate,

Many of these tricks people suggest to help your ping won't. You can go down a rabbit hole of over analysing.

PS Don't worry about ping/jitter unless its in your game. If say you play 10 games and every game the jitter is high. Then its your end and you can look into it. If you suspect its your end I suggest you play at 4am if possible and see if plays better. If so then its probably a contention issue. 

so using ping stats at net duma i should be able to see my jitter as jumps in ping( what sort of jumps in ping will tell me it is the jitter) and also i have to wait until .7 because right now i am always on ded serv and i cant see ping to the host

My friends who live in london have a hard time on Virgin with ping and jitter i have told them for years to move yet they still come online and moan about it and do not change provider.

My friends who live in london have a hard time on Virgin with ping and jitter i have told them for years to move yet they still come online and moan about it and do not change provider.

funny thing is my cousin lives across the street have BT IF and i did some testing at his end and he woes getting even more jitter then me maybe its just the location we live between 3 huge Transport Junctions very populated area Between Clapham Junction Victoria and Vauxhall 

When you do the tests both you and your freind ,is the line clear of all other traffic? nothing but the test going on?

yebs like i sad before just the ping

your best bet if it is your ISPs issue is to make the follow:

1. speedtest.net account (this will log all history for speedtests and for pingtests)

2. a dslreports.com account (running http://www.dslreports.com/pingtest)is a lot more informative than a single ping test as it should happen for 24 hours.

and then compare results form lest say 2 3 days testing on both of them?

and then compare results form lest say 2 3 days testing on both of them?

correct, if you are seeing issues you can contact you ISP after 3 days easily with this data (i recommend via twitter, they hate bad publicity).

After a month, they must refund you some of the money for your internet charges.  You can also quote them the FCC law which states "You are guaranteed 80% of your promised download and upload speed independently".  

So if it is only ping and not down and upload speed don't threaten them, but if it is download and upload speed...make sure they are aware of this law (United States)...

If it is ping contact them and explain what is happening and show them the results.  It will likely take 3-5 technicians before you get to a supervisor who can actually resolve the issue.

correct, if you are seeing issues you can contact you ISP after 3 days easily with this data (i recommend via twitter, they hate bad publicity).shure since they put that filter my up and down is stable i will try this ping and if i creat a account can i set something like monitoring 24 h of my ping

After a month, they must refund you some of the money for your internet charges. You can also quote them the FCC law which states "You are guaranteed 80% of your promised download and upload speed independently".

So if it is only ping and not down and upload speed don't threaten them, but if it is download and upload speed...make sure they are aware of this law (United States)...

If it is ping contact them and explain what is happening and show them the results. It will likely take 3-5 technicians before you get to a supervisor who can actually resolve the issue.

so my up and down its all good before i had i problem with stability bot since they put that filter on my coax then its very stable now with this accounts on ping webpages do they have some option to monitor my ping 24 h or maybe i understood you wrongly

so my up and down its all good before i had i problem with stability bot since they put that filter on my coax then its very stable now with this accounts on ping webpages do they have some option to monitor my ping 24 h or maybe i understood you wrongly

yes it seems like ping is the issue you should be looking into.

On dslreports > tools 

there are a couple of different ping monitor tools...

These will show your ping over 24 hours to one of their servers and the jitter...

24 hours will give you a much better average, so you'll know if it is a peek time issue or not.

On dslreports > tools 

These will show your ping over 24 hours to one of their servers and the jitter...

24 hours will give you a much better average, so you'll know if it is a peek time issue or not.

thx i will do it today

On dslreports > tools 

can i be connected vi wifi or have to be wired all the 24 h of testing and my pc have to be on all the time and i am in uk the will ping to usa and canada is not to far

can i be connected vi wifi or have to be wired all the 24 h of testing and my pc have to be on all the time and i am in uk the will ping to usa and canada is not to far

it actually will only be hitting your modem (your internal network laptops/desktops/xbox/ps4) don't matter.

Just try to not to use 100% of your upload or download as this will raise your ping (false positive).

it actually will only be hitting your modem (your internal network laptops/desktops/xbox/ps4) don't matter.

Just try to not to use 100% of your upload or download as this will raise your ping (false positive).

i need a ip that will be ingable and i dont know where to find my ip for modem

go to http://whatismyipaddress.com/it is the IP at the top in Blue big numbers

so i have done 24 h testing thats one of the resoulst http://www.dslreports.com/r3/smokeping.cgi?target=network.22faaef6ad1210e24a26536c6dee28b2

and thats http://www.dslreports.com/testhistory/1909082/3debcand the ping test net says about 40 % its whit a lot of jitter so what do you think

your ping looks solid, except with that california server.  Everything else looks good, small amounts of jitter are normal

what about packet lost in the second link if you click on some of the top one and scroll to bottom of the page it says fail and why then pin test net shows a lot of jitter

I'll bet my right leg it's an overloaded node in your area for Virgin.

They are notorious for it abc and worse, very slow to admit an issue in my experience.

if thats the case what are my options

Archived