• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well unfortunately it wouldnt actually take much to use up 98% of your upload in particular. If you start to fully utilise the upload, then you won't be able to play games at same time with 98%.

Pretty sure I have the congestion control design and wat it does wrong.

Basically you are limiting the maximum usage...so let's say your wife is uploading a bunch of pictures to facebook...

if you have upload set to 98% she'll be using 0.98Mb/s leaving you with 0.02Mb/s

Which basically means you'd have 20Kb/s for gaming...to put this into context a dial-up modem running 56000 is 56Kb/s up and down...so you are giving yourself less than dial-up for gaming...

at 50% upload you are leaving yourself 0.5Mb/s which is plenty...and 0.5Mb/s for web browsing which is also plenty.

If you leave it at 100% with no device priority, then any device will be able to max out your connection and therefore ruin any chance of playing a game simultaneously.

It all depends on how you use your line. Lots of multiple users at a time (and depending on what they are doing) could make gaming difficult. Or you could set you download cap / upload cap at 50% so that only half the line can be used with other half reserved for gaming. Though remember you may only need to set that whilst gaming and can take it back to 100% when finished.

I'm confused, when devices connect they get a slice of the pie, if I lower congestion control too 70-50 them I'm essentially cutting my 8/1 connection down arent I?

I always adjust up the PS4 then put it back when finished as per abc123 video.

Yes in theory, but when combined with device prioritisation to helps to keep things running smoothly. I can't describe it better than the main man himself so have a read of:

http://forum.netduma.com/topic/203-how-do-i-use-congestion-control/

Basically you cap connection to allow 'headroom' so everything gets through without 'queuing' as Iain describes it. You then give your game console a high device prioritisation so it takes as much bandwidth as it needs first / then tick share excess so that the balance of whatever you have is left for the remaining devices to fight over.

I won't lie, it is not ideal on the limited resources your line gives you. But it is about making the best of that situation and making sure your game (selfishly) gets everything it needs and keeps latency as low as possible.

I hope that helps a bit

I'm confused, when devices connect they get a slice of the pie, if I lower congestion control too 70-50 them I'm essentially cutting my 8/1 connection down arent I?

I always adjust up the PS4 then put it back when finished as per abc123 video.

yes, once you finish gaming...feel free to change everything back to normal, but during gaming definitely keep it like i mentioned.

When you aren't gaming though you still might end up having unusable internet because someone starts to upload someone.

This feature is a godsend for me, I've got so much going on on my network.  Had QOS in place previously but it was never really intended for gaming and there are some security issues with running a QOS channel (router pwn)

Being able to see what is using your bandwidth is also pretty amazing. If my clients wanted that fucntionality we were looking at managed switches with NetFlow / sFlow / jFlow or an untangle box.  To get this on a consumer router is some genius programming, I'm not sure the non-techies appreciate how difficult it is.

yes, once you finish gaming...feel free to change everything back to normal, but during gaming definitely keep it like i mentioned.

When you aren't gaming though you still might end up having unusable internet because someone starts to upload someone.

I'll try 70/50 when I get home later

If you have something like 80/20 fibre then is it fair to say you should not really worry about congestion control

Good question! if you torrent/UseNet or are downloading 80Mb/s would be easy to max out.  the 20Upload would also be easy if you were to be using Google Drive, Dropbox, uploading to Youtube!.  So i'd do 90/90 if i were gaming (with other people on the network)

I mentioned previously that I had yet to come across a previous host who I had saved to allow . Tonight I click on the host circle and there it was for the first time a host I had named . Problem is I had named the host "terrible " and saved at 3% which I believe puts that host into the deny section . I let the game run for 30 seconds and watched the ping and yes again it was terrible so I backed out . Any idea,s ? Thanks

Guest Netduma_Iain

Did it not come up as a red cross Black Ops Veteran, if not I'll definitely look out for that in regression testing tomorrow before release of .7

Great vid abc, these tutorials are really helping me optimise my gaming experience!

I have fibre 72 d/l & 17 u/l (only me and my wife) She just browses on Internet when im gaming, would 90 90 be ok?

Have set my ps4 to 47% device prioritisation. Only 5 devices connected to R1

Great vid abc, these tutorials are really helping me optimise my gaming experience!

I have fibre 72 d/l & 17 u/l (only me and my wife) She just browses on Internet when im gaming, would 90 90 be ok?

Have set my ps4 to 47% device prioritisation. Only 5 devices connected to R1

That will be fine. To be honest if your wife is just browsing and not streaming video etc then you wouldn't really need congestion control with your speeds, but it never hurts to be sure :)

Archived