Device Manager

• Netduma Staff

Yesterday, I blocked my sister form the internet using the block feature on the device manager. :)

It worked great, she was unable to access the internet. The problem though, is that you can access the R1 interface even when blocked from the internet (which I discovered when I decided I would try and unblock her from the blocked device).

Not to sure if this has been brought up before, but I think it is a light problemo if the blocked device can unblock itself.

I'm sure this will be fixed when the update comes out that allows you to password protect the user interface, but for anyone who wants to leave it unsecured they will still have the problem.

Finally, I have a question.

If the device that is blocked sets a static IP to something else, will the router not recognise it as the same device and unblock it or is the router blocking it by its MAC address?

Guest Netduma Fraser

Yesterday, I blocked my sister form the internet using the block feature on the device manager. :)

It worked great, she was unable to access the internet. The problem though, is that you can access the R1 interface even when blocked from the internet (which I discovered when I decided I would try and unblock her from the blocked device).

Not to sure if this has been brought up before, but I think it is a light problemo if the blocked device can unblock itself.

I'm sure this will be fixed when the update comes out that allows you to password protect the user interface, but for anyone who wants to leave it unsecured they will still have the problem.

Finally, I have a question.

If the device that is blocked sets a static IP to something else, will the router not recognise it as the same device and unblock it or is the router blocking it by its MAC address?

Well picked up on, I don't think we were aware of this. I'll add this to the list of fixes :) I believe its blocked by MAC address but ill get confirmation on this.

So they just need to add login password to stop that. However, that block feature will only stop laments as you could spoof your MAC address to a non-blocked device or just to any new Mac and you are up and running again.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Sure its not meant as bullet proof security feature. But the majority of people in the world would not know or consider doing that. So I think its sound. 

• Netduma Staff

Well picked up on, I don't think we were aware of this. I'll add this to the list of fixes :) I believe its blocked by MAC address but ill get confirmation on this.

Ok, thats good! Luckily she has no idea how to do it, but as the UI is so good I am sure that if she did manage to get onto the router by some look, then she would easily be able to unblock herself.

• Netduma Staff

It is indeed blocked by MAC address. Your poor sister as well. 

My sister deserved the block! Her phone was using 100% of the upload and was putting my ping at 1000-1500 which isn't really that optimal for gaming!

I couldn't be bothered to set her an amount of upload using the draggy thing so I just thought I would go with the easy option!

Archived