Mac Address Filtering

Netduma Crossy

• Netduma Staff

I was trouble shooting trying to connect my PC to the netduma as I am having trouble doing it. I posted a question on a sport forum and was asked if the router had any mac address filtering as that could be the issue.

Honestly, I have no idea what that is or what it does, but I would be really grateful if someone could tell me if the router has it on and what it does.

Thanks

Guest Netduma Luke

I was trouble shooting trying to connect my PC to the netduma as I am having trouble doing it. I posted a question on a sport forum and was asked if the router had any mac address filtering as that could be the issue.

Honestly, I have no idea what that is or what it does, but I would be really grateful if someone could tell me if the router has it on and what it does.

Thanks

I'm pretty sure it does not have any mac filtering - would need Iain to confirm and explain properly though.

Does this mean the problem you had in this thread is still ongoing?

http://forum.netduma.com/topic/198-got-a-new-pc-and-cant-connect-to-to-internet-through-the-net-duma/page-2

• Netduma Staff

I'm pretty sure it does not have any mac filtering - would need Iain to confirm and explain properly though.

Does this mean the problem you had in this thread is still ongoing?

http://forum.netduma.com/topic/198-got-a-new-pc-and-cant-connect-to-to-internet-through-the-net-duma/page-2

Yes, it is, but I think that is is my PC as I can connect to the internet on it if I activate internet sharing on my mac and connect my pc to my mac via ethernet cable. On the other hand if I connect straight to the netduma I can't connect to the internet. When I connect to the netduma it connects for a bit then disconnects (does it about every 10 seconds and also causes the internet in the rest of the house to go down).

I don't know if you mind my posting this, if you do just delete it but for anyone else experiencing the same problem a link to the other forum where I posted this issue is here: http://superuser.com/questions/858987/i-cant-connect-to-the-internet-via-ethernet-when-connected-straight-to-my-route

Thanks

Guest Netduma Luke

Yes, it is, but I think that is is my PC as I can connect to the internet on it if I activate internet sharing on my mac and connect my pc to my mac via ethernet cable. On the other hand if I connect straight to the netduma I can't connect to the internet. When I connect to the netduma it connects for a bit then disconnects (does it about every 10 seconds and also causes the internet in the rest of the house to go down).

I don't know if you mind my posting this, if you do just delete it but for anyone else experiencing the same problem a link to the other forum where I posted this issue is here: http://superuser.com/questions/858987/i-cant-connect-to-the-internet-via-ethernet-when-connected-straight-to-my-route

Thanks

That's fine mate - anything that helps you solve the problem is fine by me.

You don't have an ip conflict by any chance do you?

I'm all out of ideas after that I'm afraid but hopefully Fraser, Iain or the other forum can help you solve this.

• Netduma Staff

That's fine mate - anything that helps you solve the problem is fine by me.

You don't have an ip conflict by any chance do you?

I'm all out of ideas after that I'm afraid but hopefully Fraser, Iain or the other forum can help you solve this.

I doubt it, just because I am able to connect for short periods of time and then it is disconnected, bringing the rest if the internet down with it.

Thanks for your help though :)

Thanks

what you are describing sounds like a possible DHCP collision.

Can you go into IPv4 Properties and make sure it is all default, then go into Internet Options and make sure under connections you have none.

If you need more details i can provide them

For Windows Vista and above:

For IPv4 settings:

Control Panel >

Network and Sharing Center >

Change Adapter Settings >

Right Click "The connection you want to use to connect to the internet [Ethernet]" >

Properties >

Scroll down in the middle and find Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) click it then properties >

Make sure both are set to Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically >

Click Advanced >

DHCP Should be enabled the default gateway should be "192.168.88.1" or whatever your router IP is >

Click DNS >

There should be very little here (like nothing)

Quick way to get to internet options is to go to IE then the Settings (Gear in top corner) then click Internet Options

Internet Options >

Click Connections Tab >

Make sure there are none, delete if any present

• Netduma Staff

For Windows Vista and above:

For IPv4 settings:

Control Panel >

Network and Sharing Center >

Change Adapter Settings >

Right Click "The connection you want to use to connect to the internet [Ethernet]" >

Properties >

Scroll down in the middle and find Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) click it then properties >

Make sure both are set to Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically >

Click Advanced >

DHCP Should be enabled the default gateway should be "192.168.88.1" or whatever your router IP is >

Click DNS >

There should be very little here (like nothing)

Quick way to get to internet options is to go to IE then the Settings (Gear in top corner) then click Internet Options

Internet Options >

Click Connections Tab >

Make sure there are none, delete if any present

Ok, so I have done all of that. It connects to the internet and it says that I am connected. When I run ipconfig it says I have an IP. While it says that it is connected i am unable to access the internet on any device, not even the R1 interface. Then after about 30 seconds it disconnects and the rest of the internet works again

When I did your above steps there was nothing in the default gateway box so I added it in there.

Thanks for your help! :)

looking for an article on network settings reset:

this was a good one: https://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=37620

Can you try a different Ethernet cable?

you can try running: netsh winsock reset

When you do have it "connected" for 30 seconds can you run "ping 216.58.216.96"

If it returns you have internet but likely the DNS is failing, 216.58.216.96 is google.com

You didn't at some point change the MAC address of your PC?  I'm scared you might have a MAC address collision which breaks everything like you are describing.

• Netduma Staff

looking for an article on network settings reset:

this was a good one: https://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=37620

Can you try a different Ethernet cable?

you can try running: netsh winsock reset

When you do have it "connected" for 30 seconds can you run "ping 216.58.216.96"

If it returns you have internet but likely the DNS is failing, 216.58.216.96 is google.com

You didn't at some point change the MAC address of your PC?  I'm scared you might have a MAC address collision which breaks everything like you are describing.

I haven't changed the mac address of my computer (at least not to my knowledge). I ran the code in cmd and restarted my PC. When I connected to the internet this time it had an exclamation mark over the internet bit on the bottom of my computer task bar and when I clicked on it, it came up with more detail of it and there was a cross between 'network 2' and internet. 

When I connected I pinged the IP but got a time out, that was expected though as I had the exclamation mark.

When I ran the steps in the link you gave me I was given the following error:

C:\Users\kc>ipconfig /renew

Windows IP Configuration

No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection 2 while it has its media
disconnected.
No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media di
sconnected.
An error occurred while releasing interface Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1 : The sy
stem cannot find the file specified.

C:\Users\kc>

I received the error for all of the commands.

Thanks for all of your help!

EDIT:

I tried a different ethernet cable as well and this did not do anything.

Also even when it has the cross between 'network 2' and 'internet' it still causes the rest of the internet to stop working until I unplug the ethernet cable from the router then suddenly any of the pages on my mac that were loading load.

is this a desktop or a laptop?

This will fix the IPConfig issue you are running into (ipconfig /release | ipconfig /renew) is a good method to see if the router will hand you an IP:

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot the machine.

• Netduma Staff

is this a desktop or a laptop?

This will fix the IPConfig issue you are running into (ipconfig /release | ipconfig /renew) is a good method to see if the router will hand you an IP:

This is a desktop. I will run those commands now and post back, 2 mins :)

Thanks

• Netduma Staff

kk i'll keep my eye here.

Ok, just ran them and rebooted. It didn't do anything apart form remove the default gateway that I automatically added earlier which i have just added back.

btw, I am not to sure if you read what I wrote on the other forum, but I am able to connect to the internet with no problems if I enable internet sharing on my mac and connect them both together via ethernet.

Ok, just ran them and rebooted. It didn't do anything apart form remove the default gateway that I automatically added earlier which i have just added back.

btw, I am not to sure if you read what I wrote on the other forum, but I am able to connect to the internet with no problems if I enable internet sharing on my mac and connect them both together via ethernet.

So we can rule out local settings and ethernet cable.

Still might be the MAC address, but i feel like it isn't...you would remember running something that changes the mac address of the computer...

Let's try one simple one, eliminate the router (IE if this doesn't work it isn't the router if it does, it might be the router).

> Unplug the router

> Unplug the modem

> Plug an ethernet cable from modem to PC

> Plug in modem

> run "ipconfig /release" then "ipconfig /renew" this should get you internet.  if those commands are still failing a reboot will be required.

hopefully this will narrow our scope of where the issue is.

to test the OS (Windows) we can use a linux live CD

following: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2158167/troubleshoot-a-dead-internet-connection.html

Check the operating system: If you’ve determined that the problem is with the PC, boot with a live Linux distro. If Linux can access the Internet, the problem is with Windows (or whatever OS you’re using). Otherwise, it’s with the hardware.

• Netduma Staff

yeah whatever takes a phone cable/coax/or fiber and turns it into ethernet (modem) :)

BTW did you get the fresh install of windows going?  if so we might just need drivers.

Ye, sorted the fresh install of windows out (turned out it was the memory stick which was the problem). I am pretty sure that i have installed all necessary drivers.

Unplugging everything and plugging into the modem gave me internet (i am posting this on the pc). All those commands ran successfully. I guess that means it is an issue with the netduma?

Thanks!

Ye, sorted the fresh install of windows out (turned out it was the memory stick which was the problem). I am pretty sure that i have installed all necessary drivers.

Unplugging everything and plugging into the modem gave me internet (i am posting this on the pc). All those commands ran successfully. I guess that means it is an issue with the netduma?

Thanks!

Maybe the netduma just needed to be rebooted?

• Netduma Staff

let me know if issue returns: PM me i get an email and will respond within 15 minutes.

No, it doesn't work when connected to the netduma, just when connected to the modem.

Sorry for the confusion :)

Thanks

• Netduma Staff

For the netduma to modem did you have to do MAC address cloning? And if you did was the PC the address that was cloned?

Well I am not to sure what that means, lol. All I did was plug my modem into my netduma and it was done. I don't think I ever did any mac address cloning.

Thanks

Archived