Wireless (WDS) Bridging - Performance hit

So I've been messing about with my two routers, a TP-Link and the R1. Now my TP-Link supports WDS Bridging, and I'm no network guru so I may have made some errors whilst trying this out.

Quick recap:

Modem -> TP-Link -> R1.

Now the purpose of me trying this, was to see if I could get access to my home network, which I could but the R1 would slow down, be unresponsive from web access point of view and general internet access via the R1 would also suffer confirmed via speedtest.

So what did I do:

1. R1

DHCP changed so that it was 192.168.0.1; dhcp to dish out 192.168.0.180 - 192.168.0.199

2. TP-Link

Changed the WAN IP from 192.168.0.1 --> 192.168.0.2

DHCP to dish out 192.168.0.100 - 192.168.0.179

Reserved 192.168.0.1 against the R1 MAC address

R1 in DMZ

WDS enabled

Internal LAN access was then working and I did no further testing. Later today I noticed that the R1 web pages were not being reliably delivered, and then my laptop connected wired, did a speedtest and noticed that the top download speed was approx 20mb. When I undid the changes, it went back to the max speed of approx 75mb.

So I've gone back to default, put the R1 back to 192.168.88.1, left the dhcp to dishout 180 - 199, and switched of the WDS on my TPlink. R1 remains in a DMZ with its reserved IP of 192.168.0.2.

The behaviour witnessed could be as expected due to bridging (which I am unfamiliar with) or a genuine issue, or combination of the two.

I just thought you guys might like to know.

Sim

the wan ip should be different form the lan ip (C class wise)

so set the TP link to whatever you want. Give the R1 a IP from the DHCP lan range (automaticly) from the TP (better put it in the DMZ of the TP and connect your devices to the R1, they will get the range you have set for the LAN range from the R1

the wan ip should be different form the lan ip (C class wise)

so set the TP link to whatever you want. Give the R1 a IP from the DHCP lan range (automaticly) from the TP (better put it in the DMZ of the TP and connect your devices to the R1, they will get the range you have set for the LAN range from the R1

If I understand you correctly, if I do

1. TPLink LAN IP 192.168.0.10 / reserve 192.168.0.2 for R1 in a DMZ

2. On R1 set it from 192.168.88.1 to 192.168.0.1 it should all work

3. Enable the wifi WDS bridging on TPLink and it should work without performance penalty

You should be able to just turn DHCP off on the R1 and wifi

WDS bridging is going to give you two networks

The TPlink TL-WDR4900 does not have an ethernet bridging mode that I can find. The wifi WDS is the only bridging I can find.

One of the reasons I'm trying to do this is to allow my gaming consoles to access my NAS, but also access my R1 from my main PC.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi sim and a happy new year to you. Sorry responding on the phone so I'll be short.

You should not have the r1 on the same network as the other router. Routers cannot route between the same network. I'm surprised it's working at all. You need to change the r1 from 192.168.0.1 to 192.169.x.1 where x is anything between 1 and 255.

So if I understand correctly where I said

I need to do this instead

1. TPLink LAN IP 192.168.0.1 / reserve 192.169.0.1 for R1 in a DMZ

2. Leave R1 in the standard 192.168.88.1

3. Switch on the WDS wireless bridging

I'm obviously still learning this router - router thing. Your help is always appreciated.

Sim

Guest Netduma Luke

So if I understand correctly where I said

I need to do this instead

1. TPLink LAN IP 192.168.0.1 / reserve 192.169.0.1 for R1 in a DMZ

2. Leave R1 in the standard 192.168.88.1

3. Switch on the WDS wireless bridging

I'm obviously still learning this router - router thing. Your help is always appreciated.

Sim

Assuming you leave the R1 on the standard 192.168.88.1 you need to put that IP into the DMZ on your TP Link. Then everything else you have described should work. Let me know how you get on.

So I've had another play. Partial success.

Setup as follows:

1. TP-Link 192.168.0.1 / reserved 192.168.0.10 for R1 / 192.168.0.10 in DMZ

2. R1 left on default, i.e. 192.168.88.1

3. TP-Link wireless WDS bridging on

The results:

- R1 web pages are still responsive (good)

- From a laptop connected to the R1 via ethernet, I can type in my 192.168.0.200 address for my NAS and access it (good)

- Internet speeds are still full throttle (good)

- Consoles cannot see my NAS (bad)

---- If my XB1 or PS3 let me type in the address, it would be fine.

Why are you using the TP-Link as the primary router?  do you have a really fast ISP connection?

If you do it in the other direction you can make the TP-Link an Access Point and then just disable wifi on the R1.

Guest Netduma_Iain

I think the way consoles work with NAS servers, they need to be on the same network. So I'd suggest you connect the NAS to the R1 as well if possible. Also I also agree with abc suggestion. Please let me know how you get on.

You will either need to make once DHCP server, so there is only one range (192.168.0.x) if you have two then they would need routes to be able to reach one another.

It gets a lot more technical.

Archived