Finding the sweet setup spot [Need your input]

LegendMask

13 hours ago, BIG__DOG said:

Most of the UK and europe have modem type connections compared to full fibre. The edgerouter is being used for packet capture!

Why cant you just use wireshark for capturing packets? isnt that what people typically do? well, as compared to the results i have seen on saturated or even mildly used lines on the edgerouter-x vs the DumaOS I still see people having very consistent results like the ones you posted versus the non-consistent ones being posted using the Netduma. I mean it does help...but I wouldnt call it the "best QOS" in the world, unless it just happens to be that the CPU power of the R1 just isnt satisfatory of a full QOS experience. I dont mean to say that the edgerouter-x is more or less powerful because I have no idea, I never looked into the specs tbh. But its like all things, if its not as optimized for a device it just wont work well, and none of you that seem to have the upgrades complain at all about QOS it doesn't seem...but the R1 users are a different story, its like QOS works best when you just have a buttload of extra speed, and that should never be the case. Then again, it could affect the way your modem gets provisioned I guess? I mean i have a 32/8 cable modem made by Ubee and you dont typically hear of issues from them, and there is no Puma chip, that doesn't mean modems cant be faulty or just not operate functionally or cause SOME jitter, maybe thats the case on my end is i do see some jitter but these pings are being done from my wired PC while gaming, which means of course my laptop is going to see some jitter im sure since gaming packets are theoretically being prioritized on ports and delaying others. But as you have seen from those graphs I posted I wasnt even gaming I dont beleive, just had the smart tv streaming at 1080P and that should never cause that much fluctuation. But since my xbox isnt on at the moment perhaps i can trial and error, it just takes away alot of my time from trying to keep up with my homework.

7 minutes ago, bbursley said:

Why cant you just use wireshark for capturing packets? isnt that what people typically do? well, as compared to the results i have seen on saturated or even mildly used lines on the edgerouter-x vs the DumaOS I still see people having very consistent results like the ones you posted versus the non-consistent ones being posted using the Netduma. I mean it does help...but I wouldnt call it the "best QOS" in the world, unless it just happens to be that the CPU power of the R1 just isnt satisfatory of a full QOS experience. I dont mean to say that the edgerouter-x is more or less powerful because I have no idea, I never looked into the specs tbh. But its like all things, if its not as optimized for a device it just wont work well, and none of you that seem to have the upgrades complain at all about QOS it doesn't seem...but the R1 users are a different story, its like QOS works best when you just have a buttload of extra speed, and that should never be the case. Then again, it could affect the way your modem gets provisioned I guess? I mean i have a 32/8 cable modem made by Ubee and you dont typically hear of issues from them, and there is no Puma chip, that doesn't mean modems cant be faulty or just not operate functionally or cause SOME jitter, maybe thats the case on my end is i do see some jitter but these pings are being done from my wired PC while gaming, which means of course my laptop is going to see some jitter im sure since gaming packets are theoretically being prioritized on ports and delaying others. But as you have seen from those graphs I posted I wasnt even gaming I dont beleive, just had the smart tv streaming at 1080P and that should never cause that much fluctuation. But since my xbox isnt on at the moment perhaps i can trial and error, it just takes away alot of my time from trying to keep up with my homework.

I use the edgerouter packet capture as I prefer that to wireshark for the method i wanted.  I also stopped using the R1 when I started beta  testing the XR700 but i do prefer the R1OS rather than dumaOS on the R1.  Maybe because I experienced the version on the XR700 first. DumaOS on the XR700 and XR500 is really well polished and I have no issues with it but on the R1 I found it frustrating but that was due to it just being released which made me like the original firmware more on the R1 model.

9 minutes ago, BIG__DOG said:

I use the edgerouter packet capture as I prefer that to wireshark for the method i wanted.  I also stopped using the R1 when I started beta  testing the XR700 but i do prefer the R1OS rather than dumaOS on the R1.  Maybe because I experienced the version on the XR700 first. DumaOS on the XR700 and XR500 is really well polished and I have no issues with it but on the R1 I found it frustrating but that was due to it just being released which made me like the original firmware more on the R1 model.

The old R1 os does definitely seem more stable in some ways, although settings in DumaOS seem to properly stick MUCH better than the old one. Sometimes id have to set things over and over on the R1s old OS and I think that made me not like it, I cant really speak for the QOS side of it though, I mean...I feel like the DumaOS QOS is definitely better, but the hardware is lacking to really take advantage of how powerful it is...that or it needs a little more code tweaking. When it works good its great. Ping assist seems much much more solid on the R1 OS though and thats seemingly buggy from time to time on DumaOS. It could be that the Netgear models firmware is certainly more polished and can handle what you throw at it. I just recently upgraded to the xbox one x from the S and i feel like its the same deal. The S was great but the X just does it better in so many ways, even when you try to strain it, it still does well to keep up with the demands. Games are loading better, never have any framerate drops etc. Its pretty amazing honestly how much better it is. I know ill get used to it though and itll feel standard and anything less will be like going back to a 360 all over again...speaking of which... DumaOS for the R1 reminds me of a standard xbox game where as the xbox one x enhanced version is like whats seen on the xr450 and up. The XR700 is an incredibly powerful device so I can see why your feelings about the others might be more disappointing. Its been the reason why I think I might just upgrade to the 500 eventually or even the xr300 when that drops, then again idk how well tested that one is for bugs etc, but considering the hardware for the netgear routers is probably similar and their old OS was pretty comparable between models, maybe it wont be bad at all. I think the R1 can definitely get tweaked to use DumaOS better, and hopefully it will since its still a featured product, otherwise they might as well discontinue it and move on to focus on the next devices, as it probably uses up to much time and money trying to invest in old hardware thats honestly....obsolete anymore :(

This is a new graph with 2 4k vids going and a 1080p better than the results that i got with the console traffic being prioritized, but still not quite buttery. I feel like it should be a little better than that. I mean now its at least comparable to what OP posted. I guess I didnt take into account that the console causes delay for all the other devices.

1112235840_noxboxon.thumb.JPG.5ff7e63245a14ac7ca1ae62a23853ec7.JPG

That graph is muh better than your other 1.  The dumaOS on the XR500 is also great (i have both  but I purchased the XR500 myself) and it performs very well indeed. It lacks the features on the XR700 (mainly plex server capability and ready cloud. I am using the XR500 as the main router now as apart from using the edgerouter for a specific purpose the past couple of days. I have had no issues at all with it and I hope it continues that way. Netgear heavily beta test and so i am sure that it will be a polished product on release day!