Corbula

WiFi getting worse? Does the new OS change anything?

I've got the Netduma R1 which I've had for a few years running 1.03.6g firmware. Nothing has moved to cause interference and I'm on fibre broadband. On my PC wired I get around 70mbps down and around 18mbps up. On wifi though it's much slower, also I've found that I need to reset the router every 2-3 weeks due to the wifi dropping completely.

On wireless devices though I get below 28mbps down and 15mbps up. The download bandwidth use to be much higher than this. I've tried changing wireless channels and turning wifi work around on and off and see no difference. I have deep packet inspection off, upnp forwarding off, IPv6 off, Turbo mode on but Super turbo mode off.

I've also reset distribution for all of the devices.

Is there anything else I can try or does the new OS make any changes to the WiFi? I've avoided upgrading while it's in beta.

Thanks

2 hours ago, Corbula said:

I've got the Netduma R1 which I've had for a few years running 1.03.6g firmware. Nothing has moved to cause interference and I'm on fibre broadband. On my PC wired I get around 70mbps down and around 18mbps up. On wifi though it's much slower, also I've found that I need to reset the router every 2-3 weeks due to the wifi dropping completely.

On wireless devices though I get below 28mbps down and 15mbps up. The download bandwidth use to be much higher than this. I've tried changing wireless channels and turning wifi work around on and off and see no difference. I have deep packet inspection off, upnp forwarding off, IPv6 off, Turbo mode on but Super turbo mode off.

I've also reset distribution for all of the devices.

Is there anything else I can try or does the new OS make any changes to the WiFi? I've avoided upgrading while it's in beta.

Thanks

Hi.

I would stick to the firmware you are on as it will not improve wireless performance if that is the only reason you are thinking of upgrading. I would consider purchasing the new XR300 when it is released in April as announced by Netgear/Netduma. It is cheaper than the XR500 if you are on a budget but the performance is far better and there are more features on that version of dumaOS than is available on the R1 dumaOS.

19 hours ago, BIG__DOG said:

Hi.

I would stick to the firmware you are on as it will not improve wireless performance if that is the only reason you are thinking of upgrading. I would consider purchasing the new XR300 when it is released in April as announced by Netgear/Netduma. It is cheaper than the XR500 if you are on a budget but the performance is far better and there are more features on that version of dumaOS than is available on the R1 dumaOS.

Thanks, but I don't really want to buy a new router just because this one isn't working as it should and as it was. Unless of course it's actually starting to fail.

I agree with you entirely, there's no need to buy a new router at all. I personally do not think dumaOS on the R1 would be any better for you as the version on the R1 is more basic than on the higher end routers. But as I stated it will not improve wireless performance upgrading to dumaOS from R1OS.

On 3/17/2019 at 2:00 PM, Corbula said:

Thanks, but I don't really want to buy a new router just because this one isn't working as it should and as it was. Unless of course it's actually starting to fail.

This could well be a DHCP issue or something solvable - sometimes everything just needs to be reconfigured and put straight.

First off, I'd recommend upgrading to DumaOS. It's a more stable system, and installing it could resolve any outstanding bugs that might have caused the WiFi drops. When you're upgraded, give the router a factory reset.

Then I'd like you to try a hard reset. To do that, turn off the Netduma and your Modem. Wait 5 minutes, then turn on the Modem. Wait 2 minutes, then turn on the Netduma. Finally wait another 2 minutes before you start reconnecting devices, and reboot the Netduma when you're back online.

That will totally reset the communication between your Modem and the R1. If there's still issues after that we can see if maybe DHCP or channels are causing the drop-outs :)