Netduma R1 Inconsistent

horsey89

Hello there,

Main reason I got this router was to improve my gaming experience as I play fifa. Unfortunately I am getting inconsistent download speeds. I have been running speed tests through my PS4 (wired into netduma) and I am getting results as low as 10 and high as 30Mbps. Different all the time. I have connected my netduma R1 through my bt homehub and turned off wifi for homehub so that every device has to connect through netduma.  For the time being I am using my homehub as its a steady 30+ Mbps only issue is it lags when my partner steams as it aint got Quality of service like the netduma.

I noticed when playing games looking at the Geofilter the ping is fine (38ms) but as soon as I feel lag i'd notice the lag shoot up to 100ms +. At the same time the router would be making crunching noises, Is this normal? 

Is there something I could check or a troubleshooting guide to go through as I am a bit unsure how to sort this.

Thanks in advance.

Shaun

• Administrators

First of all don't worry about PS4 speed tests as they can be inaccurate (it even says so on the test), as long as you are getting full speeds through a wired PC that is the main thing. Gaming uses very little bandwidth, much less than 1mbps so you're fine in that regard. 

That sounds like a local congestion issue, what QoS settings are you using?

It shouldn't be making that sound. Ensure it's plugged directly into a wall socket, not using an extender and make sure it's in an area where it has proper air flow i.e. not sitting on a carpet.

Hi Fraser,

Thanks for the reply and sorry my late one, I have been away from the house for a few days.

It definitely seems a local congestion issue as the connection is not great when my partner is on the internet streaming. I am using When high priority traffic is detected with 70% and 70%

Traffic prioritisation is enabled for all devices.

I have 80% bandwidth allocated to playstation for download and upload.

My router is plugged into the wall by itself and also sitting on top of a desk, describing it as a crunching noise is probably not the correct way its just working hard and making noises when I am getting lag.

Thanks,

Shaun

Hi Fraser,

I have been playing about with the settings and I believe I have sorted the issue.

I am now using Anti blufferboat Always set to 10 & 10%. and changed bandwith allocation setting to prevent excess being used on other devies ( cant mind name as away from computer ) 

Now other people in house can stream and download stuff and my gameplay is perfect.

Thanks,

Shaun

• Administrators

Thanks for the update, good to hear you are seeing an improvement. I'll move this thread to support in case you post again, as it's more likely to be seen by tech support there