No more able to access R1 interface

GKD

Hello, 

I am having the following issue with the R1.

After accidentally unpluging the power source, I can no more access the R1's interface. I tried accessing it using both my Windows 10 desktop pc which is connected to it with ethernet cable and two Android devices via Wifi. In both cases I tried with Chrome and Firefox. I get prompted to enter my username and password as usual but now my username and password do not get accepted. I don't get a wrong username or password message, it just refreshes the page that asks for my credentials. I also tried the default admin password but still nothing. 

To make things worse the factory reset option by long pressing the reset button on the back of the R1 does not work. I have repeatedly tried to press the button for more than a minute and nothing happens.

At this point I am completly blocked from accessing the router's interface.

The R1's firmware is 1.03.6j.

• Netduma Staff
10 hours ago, GKD said:

Hello, 

I am having the following issue with the R1.

After accidentally unpluging the power source, I can no more access the R1's interface. I tried accessing it using both my Windows 10 desktop pc which is connected to it with ethernet cable and two Android devices via Wifi. In both cases I tried with Chrome and Firefox. I get prompted to enter my username and password as usual but now my username and password do not get accepted. I don't get a wrong username or password message, it just refreshes the page that asks for my credentials. I also tried the default admin password but still nothing. 

To make things worse the factory reset option by long pressing the reset button on the back of the R1 does not work. I have repeatedly tried to press the button for more than a minute and nothing happens.

At this point I am completly blocked from accessing the router's interface.

The R1's firmware is 1.03.6j.

Hi, welcome to the forum! So just to clarify, at what time did you unplug the router? Was it upgrading at the time? This wouldn't normally happen unless the router lost power during an upgrade.

What are you typing to prompt the 'username / password' box? Are you typing routerlogin.net? That would indicate your router is now on DumaOS, not 1.03.6j. If you connect it to a wired PC, do you get Internet access? What happens if you type the IP address of the router (192.168.88.1)?

Hello, 

Thanks for the reply Jack!

As far the upgrade is concerned, I did not tried to upgrade. Could it be that it performed an auto upgrade? I really cannot tell if it was upgrading its firmware on its own.

No, I just tried routerlogin.net and it prompts me to a netgear link (https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/routerlogin.html) which tells me that I am not connected to my router's wifi, even though I tried from a wired device. Since day one I am using the router's IP adrees to connect to the interface (192.168.88.1) and yesterday while I was searching for a solution I also tried "http://r1", both of which promt me to the 'username / password' box. I have internet access on all my devices both wired and wireless, but I cannot gain access to the R1's interface. I am sure that the router's firmware is 1.03.6j. I purchased it about two months ago and it was shipped with this version. From when I started using it I did not tried to upgrade it. If there is an auto upgrade feature it could be on a higher version but I cannot be sure about that.

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

It won't have auto upgraded, the R1 doesn't have that functionality. Also routerlogin.net is exclusive for Netgear routers and so nothing to do with the R1 so thats fine. 

In the URL bar of the browser, when you try to access the interface and it pops up with the login what does the URL say? Does it just have the IP or http://r1 or does it have extra after it?

Hi!

Nothing else. Just the IP or r1/.

I don't know if it matters but I think I should mention this because it could be related to this one. Around the time that the power supply was unpluged I was trying to connect a second console to the router. Thinks happened in this exact order. 

1.At this time there are a desktop pc and a Ps4 already connected to the router with ethernet and a bunch of Android devices via wifi. Both Pc and Ps4 were already added to the Geo-Filter and Hyper-Lane services. 

2.Router is unpluged and reconnected to the power source.

3.A second Ps4 is connected to the router also via ethernet cable.

4.I try accessing the R1's interface in order to add the second Ps4 to the Hyper-Lane but I cannot sign in anymore. I always keep the R1's interface open on a tab on Chrome on my pc which every time that chrome restarts asks for login. The credentials are saved and filled by Chrome. This how I use it from almost day one and I never had a problem.

From my point of view the power failure seemed to be what caused the issue, that's why I didn't mentioned the second console. I hope these information come in useful.

• Administrators

It does seem to be the unplug that did it but not sure why, the extra information you've given wouldn't have anything to do with it I'm sure. Can you please try this guide: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000022375-i-unticked-preserve-settings-when-upgrading-can-t-access-my-router-help and see if that enables you to access the interface with your usual login details

• Netduma Staff

Sounds like that R1 has gone to meet its maker. For whatever reason it's inaccessible - if you can't factory reset it, neither address works and that guide doesn't work, it's an ex-router.

Could you email [email protected] and let us know your order number? I'll check out your warranty status and see what we can do about it!

Hello again,

It's now a week since I' ve sent the order number and messaged you, however I did not get a reply. Could you please update me on the situation?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Could you please chase Jack again? It' another week since I sent him my address in order to send a courrier to pick up the router and I still haven't received an answer. This is becoming frustrating as this is the third week I am unable to use the router. 

Thanks

So what youre saying is the router boots up, and you can eventually get to prompting the use of user and password? Are you using the 192.168.88.1? Ive had mine disconnect many times and I have never had issues with not getting it to work afterwords. What user and password are you using to access it? default or custom? There are several passwords that it could be, admin/password, the default password when you login to the router(the one you use when you're first logging in), or a custom one you may have set, there is one that mikrotik has but I doubt that would be the case. Have you tried clearing out cookies etc? then trying to redo the process. Perhaps something else you could check is command prompt to see how youre being connected to the device as well. You could go to go to the search option in windows and type CMD also known as command prompt, and then type ipconfig/all. If theres nothing unusual there then perhaps after that you could just to an ipconfig/renew, and that would refresh any connections and adapters. Hopefully you get it figured out though. Sadly the reset button is picky and I have found over time it just stops responding to pressing it. I only ever used it in the beginning when owning the router and since then when ive tried it, it doesnt work. 

• Administrators
6 hours ago, GKD said:

Hi,

Could you please chase Jack again? It' another week since I sent him my address in order to send a courrier to pick up the router and I still haven't received an answer. This is becoming frustrating as this is the third week I am unable to use the router. 

Thanks

I'll follow this up for you right now

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Netduma Admin said:

I'll follow this up for you right now

Jack has confirmed this has been sorted. Let us know if we can help with anything else.

42 minutes ago, bbursley said:

So what youre saying is the router boots up, and you can eventually get to prompting the use of user and password? Are you using the 192.168.88.1? Ive had mine disconnect many times and I have never had issues with not getting it to work afterwords. What user and password are you using to access it? default or custom? There are several passwords that it could be, admin/password, the default password when you login to the router(the one you use when you're first logging in), or a custom one you may have set, there is one that mikrotik has but I doubt that would be the case. Have you tried clearing out cookies etc? then trying to redo the process. Perhaps something else you could check is command prompt to see how youre being connected to the device as well. You could go to go to the search option in windows and type CMD also known as command prompt, and then type ipconfig/all. If theres nothing unusual there then perhaps after that you could just to an ipconfig/renew, and that would refresh any connections and adapters. Hopefully you get it figured out though. Sadly the reset button is picky and I have found over time it just stops responding to pressing it. I only ever used it in the beginning when owning the router and since then when ive tried it, it doesnt work. 

I checked ipconfig and everything looks fine. The router boots properly and the devices connected to it have internet access. I just cannot access the interface. I am using the 192.168.88.1 and "http://r1". They both prompt me to to enter my credentials as usual but my username and password are not valid. I am using a custom username and password, but I also tried the default ones and nothing. I also tried the mikrotik default username and password with no luck. It is really strange. The only thing that comes to my mind is that there could be some test codes left from the development of the firmware and that somehow by losing power the router could have reverted back to those. Thankfully the guys from the support have sorted this. My router is going to be replaced so everything is fine.

44 minutes ago, Netduma Admin said:

Jack has confirmed this has been sorted. Let us know if we can help with anything else.

Indeed, I just received an email from DHL saying that the new router is coming on Monday. Thanks for the support and I hope that you manage to find what went wrong!

• 1 year later...
  • Administrators
2 minutes ago, seanc683 said:

I'm in this situation right now cpuld someone reply to me on forum please.!!!?

I've just posted in your topic, there is no need to post multiple times, we reply to the original post as soon as we can.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
5 hours ago, BERNARDINO DE AGUAS said:

Yo tambien alguna solucion ??

No es necesario publicar en varios temas, responderé a su tema.
-
No need to post in multiple topics, I will reply to your topic.