Destiny 2 PVP

morgs91

Just wanted to leave feedback that D2 PVP is waaaaaaaay better with no geo filter and only 50 ping Assist. 

I stumbled upon this after reading the best setup guides. connections are way better, faster and hit reg is just mwaaaah!

I did this by putting my geo in the ocean somewhere and just adding 50 ping assist. Very small sample size of games below but so far it is the best it has ever felt in D2. Has there been any reports that Geo filter affects the overall gaming experience in D2 in a negative way.

1840900920_ScreenShot2019-03-10at12_21_55pm.png.780626f826234b0c2443f1506492f7e0.png

Glad to hear that you're taking advantage of Ping Assist 2.0. It's really one of the great features added into the DumaOS 1.3. It was also good on the original firmware as well, so you finding it to be of great use for D2 is great to hear, thanks for the feedback. As for geofilter causing errors or performance issues in lobbies of D2, never heard of such of thing. But is nice to keep in mind and check out for the dev's just in case. 

Thanks.

- Tray

• Administrators

Fantastic to hear that! Thanks for posting about your experience, we love posts like these!

What do you mean by negatively affecting game experience? It's getting you the best connection so it's improving it.

Geofilter isn't the problem, the way Bungie tunnels connections (and hides 4 stacks by running them through their servers) around the world is the problem imo. If I have Geo on, get connected with less than the expected number of players for the match then move my radius to the entire world I often find that I am connected overseas to someone - this was not visible when flying in. I don't know if it starts showing due to a server handoff or what, but it has happened way too many times to be a glitch.

• Netduma Staff
11 hours ago, willphule said:

Geofilter isn't the problem, the way Bungie tunnels connections (and hides 4 stacks by running them through their servers) around the world is the problem imo. If I have Geo on, get connected with less than the expected number of players for the match then move my radius to the entire world I often find that I am connected overseas to someone - this was not visible when flying in. I don't know if it starts showing due to a server handoff or what, but it has happened way too many times to be a glitch.

Aye I agree. The Geo-Filter displays accurately the data transfer between your router and the servers / peers. If they aren't appearing on the Geo-Filter map, that indicates that no data transfer is happening at that time, or that their IP is encrypted (as is the case with PS4). I'm not sure they're trying to hide 4 stacks or not, it's more likely to be a phenomenon of how the game is handling the matchmaking process.

Yeah, I don't think they are "trying" to hide them, but that is effectively what happens and those teams always have a networking advantage it seems.

That said, this little trick about putting yourself in the ocean and setting ping assist to something reasonable has resulted in SUPERB connections so far in PVP - I can't remember the last time my connection was so good. I had previously tried ping assist with my actual location set and that resulted in some dubious connections, even the ones marked as ping assist on the map. I don't know if Bungie sees us differently for some reason or this is just a placebo effect - but I am loving it!

• Netduma Staff
12 hours ago, willphule said:

Yeah, I don't think they are "trying" to hide them, but that is effectively what happens and those teams always have a networking advantage it seems.

That said, this little trick about putting yourself in the ocean and setting ping assist to something reasonable has resulted in SUPERB connections so far in PVP - I can't remember the last time my connection was so good. I had previously tried ping assist with my actual location set and that resulted in some dubious connections, even the ones marked as ping assist on the map. I don't know if Bungie sees us differently for some reason or this is just a placebo effect - but I am loving it!

Nice one! That setup is optimal for pretty much every game so we're thinking of making it more obvious / putting more emphasis on Ping Assist. I'm glad you're getting great connections with it, hope you're enjoying Gambit Prime if that's up your street :D

On 3/13/2019 at 8:13 AM, willphule said:

yeah, just using ping assist i have found to yield way better results than geo filter in D2, even in comp where it matches off glory. its like 8/10 games are great compared to 4/10. 

On 3/10/2019 at 10:23 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Fantastic to hear that! Thanks for posting about your experience, we love posts like these!

What do you mean by negatively affecting game experience? It's getting you the best connection so it's improving it.

What i meant is that when using geo filter i always seem to get shitty hit reg even with people within the circle and relatively low ping, then i can turn it off and connect to the same people and it "feels" better

• Administrators
20 hours ago, phil_wo said:

So ping assist is a better option than geo-filter distance?

It depends on your user preference, and the game you are playing. But you can use Ping Assist to effectively be a ping filter, which is very powerful. See the bottom half of this guide for instructions: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000087579--dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-ping-assist

On 3/9/2019 at 8:24 PM, morgs91 said:

Just wanted to leave feedback that D2 PVP is waaaaaaaay better with no geo filter and only 50 ping Assist. 

I stumbled upon this after reading the best setup guides. connections are way better, faster and hit reg is just mwaaaah!

I did this by putting my geo in the ocean somewhere and just adding 50 ping assist. Very small sample size of games below but so far it is the best it has ever felt in D2. Has there been any reports that Geo filter affects the overall gaming experience in D2 in a negative way.

1840900920_ScreenShot2019-03-10at12_21_55pm.png.780626f826234b0c2443f1506492f7e0.png

So I'm understanding this correctly, you have Geofilter set to spectating mode and autoping host selected?  

• Netduma Staff
20 hours ago, phil_wo said:

Is it not wise too run both a geo-filter and ping assist? Like a cross between the two?

Using both can be a great setup, though you can sometimes get high ping servers that happen to be within your radius. For that reason, using a Ping Assist only setup can be better if you aren't bothered about local servers :)

• 4 months later...
On 3/18/2019 at 2:36 PM, Dmaune said:

So I'm understanding this correctly, you have Geofilter set to spectating mode and autoping host selected?  

I would also like to know the answer to this question.  I've tried using the same method and have filtering on.  Maybe i need to have it off?