Themes on XR500

Hi all,

Maybe a silly question, but I see the theme menu in the UI for the XR500, but there is no theme available at all.. Is there something to do to access the themes ?

I am running the latest firmware version.

Regards,

• Netduma Staff
On 3/5/2019 at 8:31 PM, TheFx1 said:

Maybe a silly question, but I see the theme menu in the UI for the XR500, but there is no theme available at all.. Is there something to do to access the themes ?

Awesome to know themes are something you'd like to see! Fraser's absolutely right - the button is there since it's under development, it's sometimes way easier to implement some basic function on DumaOS before it's available. We'll let y'all know when themes become a thing - and a big thing it shall be! :)

Guest Killhippie
22 hours ago, Netduma Jack said:

Awesome to know themes are something you'd like to see! Fraser's absolutely right - the button is there since it's under development, it's sometimes way easier to implement some basic function on DumaOS before it's available. We'll let y'all know when themes become a thing - and a big thing it shall be! :)

When are we getting the extra devices labels? Like maybe 'Media Devices' (that covers smart speakers and a whole host of other things like soundbards etc) just an idea on that one. It would be good to not have my Blu-ray player and Zeppelin wireless speakers, soundbars etc listed as "computers" I thought that would have come before a non functioning theme button tbh. :)

• Netduma Staff
1 hour ago, Killhippie said:

When are we getting the extra devices labels? Like maybe 'Media Devices' (that covers smart speakers and a whole host of other things like soundbards etc) just an idea on that one. It would be good to not have my Blu-ray player and Zeppelin wireless speakers, soundbars etc listed as "computers" I thought that would have come before a non functioning theme button tbh. :)

So did I tbh. I've got a whole ton of icons ready to go, so it shouldn't be long. I think the work in that area is actually detecting those devices based on MAC addresses etc in the first place, but maybe I'll see if we can just stick the icons in without automatic detection. Thanks for letting us know you'd like to see it :)

Guest Killhippie
On 3/8/2019 at 11:09 AM, Netduma Jack said:

So did I tbh. I've got a whole ton of icons ready to go, so it shouldn't be long. I think the work in that area is actually detecting those devices based on MAC addresses etc in the first place, but maybe I'll see if we can just stick the icons in without automatic detection. Thanks for letting us know you'd like to see it :)

Id rather just add the icons than have auto detection straight away if that's what's holding things up, Jack. Autodetection could come later, but it would be a great improvement over the limited options for icons we have now.  :) Ultimately it would be good if on auto detection some devices like printers and soundbars could be given some kind of download and upload speed by default that we could play with later, as I have mentioned if I have only 52Mbps down and 16Mbps up and have antibufferbloat on 70% what on earth should a sound bar or a printer be set to?  Some guidance with auto detection in QoS like FQ-Codel does would be great, and of course have it so it can be tweaked by the user.

• Netduma Staff
On 3/9/2019 at 10:55 AM, Killhippie said:

Id rather just add the icons than have auto detection straight away if that's what's holding things up, Jack. Autodetection could come later, but it would be a great improvement over the limited options for icons we have now.  :) Ultimately it would be good if on auto detection some devices like printers and soundbars could be given some kind of download and upload speed by default that we could play with later, as I have mentioned if I have only 52Mbps down and 16Mbps up and have antibufferbloat on 70% what on earth should a sound bar or a printer be set to?  Some guidance with auto detection in QoS like FQ-Codel does would be great, and of course have it so it can be tweaked by the user.

Awesome suggestions, I'd love that. There's a ton of room to play with on the 'Device Settings' panel, and some day I'd like to get that utilised in smarter ways. Giving the user some idea of how to set up their QoS for particular devices is also something I want to explore; there's equally that separate device panel on Bandwidth Allocation we could use to that end. Plenty of potential here, thanks for the feedback :)

this was a request a year ago

....and still we wait.

Device Auto-detect (a perk) is unnecessary, i would prefer to manually pick the devices anyway like Killhippie stated. Would be nice to see this in place before this router becomes obsolete....

• Administrators

I would argue that auto detection is more useful than a completely visual icon that offers no functionality. There are lots of features and improvements we want to make and some will go on the back burner if others are deemed more important

• 2 weeks later...
  • Netduma Staff
2 hours ago, xlr8r said:

LOL!! the "back-burner" pile must be getting quite high by now...

There's a ton of amazing work happening behind the scenes, lots of exciting avenues being explored. I can't wait until we can release it for you guys to use :D

On 3/9/2019 at 10:55 AM, Killhippie said:

Killhippie ,I just had the Asus Rog Rapture GT Ax , and they have it implemented so well with devices in the the network map ,even Amazon logo shows on them, all others are are really good as well and shows what the device is once connected ,so hope Netgear implement something similar 

• Netduma Staff
18 hours ago, sharpz44 said:

Killhippie ,I just had the Asus Rog Rapture GT Ax , and they have it implemented so well with devices in the the network map ,even Amazon logo shows on them, all others are are really good as well and shows what the device is once connected ,so hope Netgear implement something similar 

One day hopefully :D it's not super important to auto-detect the device types, just so long as you have the option to change it yourself. It'd be nice to have though!

• 3 months later...
38 minutes ago, wolfis2222 said:

I hope parental controls (per device) is foremost on the roadmap!

If you use the nighthawk app you can turn on and off internet as you like per device but obviously it’s manual and not scheduled, but may help 

08689EDB-A293-422C-AA07-0BAD713C50DE.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

The theme Rapp is in the store at the moment but we're focusing on some more important things at the moment such as improving the WiFi for the R2 and getting 3.0 out to the R1 and the XR routers.

• 3 months later...
  • Administrators
3 hours ago, darrin17 said:

XR450

is 3.0 ever coming?   I know it's in beta, however I read a caveat that if it causes problems your on your own. Is this true?

You can read the terms of the beta here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-DumaOS-3-0/READ-ME-FIRST-NETGEAR-quot-Company-quot-Beta-Firmware-and-Beta/m-p/1924756#M1

• 7 months later...

I see that themes have been removed in the newest beta, kind of a bummer, found this thread while searching for more info.
Maybe a better feature than full on theme, just a recolor feature for specific UI elements. Specifically RGB sliders instead of all Red. 😂

• Administrators
44 minutes ago, Digimancer said:

I see that themes have been removed in the newest beta, kind of a bummer, found this thread while searching for more info.
Maybe a better feature than full on theme, just a recolor feature for specific UI elements. Specifically RGB sliders instead of all Red. 😂

Themes will be coming, not to worry!