Tivo streaming on ethernet through R1 problems

I never used to have issues before, but recently got a new router from Comcast, and now the NetDuma is behaving very weirdly.

I am running 1.03.6g on an R1, plugged into a Comcast cable modem in bridge mode with a confirmed service of 125mbit down/10 mbit up. When I plug directly into the modem with my laptop, I get 11-12MB/sec download. When I plug into ethernet through R1, I get 3-4MB download. My setting is currently 99/99 and reactive.

I have a Tivo Roomio and a Tivo Mini connected via ethernet through the R1. Even when there is no other traffic on the network, I now have problems with them losing the video stream (both hiccups and total loss with an error message on the Mini). This shouldn't have anything to do with the Comcast modem, since it is just streaming over the internal 100mbit network with no connection to the outside (in theory). Even the congestion control shouldn't interfere with that if it's only applied to WAN connection, but it may also apply to LAN. Any advice? Any advice on how I can get closer to the full 11MB download speeds without hosing everything else? I tried to prioritize my laptop in device prioritization, but it completely hosed the Tivos, so I set everything back to equal.

So first question for admins, does congestion control just apply to the Internet connection, or also to internal network? Ideas for debugging this or different settings I can try? Happy to let you in to take a look at my settings.

• Administrators

HI there - it's just your Internet connection that congestion control would apply to, so definitely odd you're getting lower speeds on LAN. It could be slower WiFi.

I think the simplest thing to do is get your R1 upgraded to DumaOS, our new router operating system. It has all the same core features as the original R1, plus several more, and is a lot cleaner and easier to use. https://netduma.com/r1-dumaos/

See how it performs after upgrade and we can then help you solve the issue if it's still there.

I don't use the wifi on the R1. I do have an Apple TimeMachine running wifi for Macs to back up that is in bridge mode connected to the R1. But I haven't had any performance problems with wifi. All devices are able to stream Netflix and other video just fine. The Tivo and two Macs are hardwired.

I will try the upgrade and let you know.

• Netduma Staff
On 3/1/2019 at 1:25 PM, quicknoped said:

I don't use the wifi on the R1. I do have an Apple TimeMachine running wifi for Macs to back up that is in bridge mode connected to the R1. But I haven't had any performance problems with wifi. All devices are able to stream Netflix and other video just fine. The Tivo and two Macs are hardwired.

I will try the upgrade and let you know.

Thanks for letting us know; lets see how the upgrade works out and go from there :)

Unfortunately, it's still having the same problem after upgrade. Lots of hiccups and stutters in the video streaming from the Tivo Roomio to the Tivo Mini. Both are on 100 Mb ethernet, and no other device is active that I know (nothing showing on activity monitor). 

• Administrators

Okay so first of the R1 isn't getting your full internet speeds since the new comcast router is that correct? Secondly the tivo issues only started occurring when the comcast router was introduced? 

How long have you had the new comcast router?

If you disable QoS under Anti-Bufferbloat's options menu does that help the issue?

Actually, I am now getting full speed to my laptop with the DumaOS update (12MB/sec), but I was not getting full speed (max 3.5MB/sec) even before the new Comcast router.

I thought that the Tivo issues started with the new Comcast router, but it turns out that the video stuttering has been happening for some time now. I've had the new router for about 3 weeks.

Will test QoS tomorrow and get back to you.

• Netduma Staff
9 hours ago, quicknoped said:

Actually, I am now getting full speed to my laptop with the DumaOS update (12MB/sec), but I was not getting full speed (max 3.5MB/sec) even before the new Comcast router.

I thought that the Tivo issues started with the new Comcast router, but it turns out that the video stuttering has been happening for some time now. I've had the new router for about 3 weeks.

Will test QoS tomorrow and get back to you.

That's great, I'm glad you're getting your full speeds now :D did you change anything to get to that point, or was it just upgrading to DumaOS that solved it?

I'm supposing the video stuttering issue is still happening, so let us know how your QoS test works out.

• Administrators

Could you give us a little bit of information about how the Tivo devices interact with each other and if one is connected to the internet or not. Anything you can tell us will help us diagnose the issue.

They are both connected to the Internet, but only the Roomio regularly connects in order to update TV schedules (I believe once a day, it's not a lot of data). The Tivo Mini only connects when you use Netflix or another Internet dependent app from the device, but we don't do that very often. It's main use is streaming live TV from one of the TV tuners on the Roomio.