Constant C rating on DSL reports. Hit detection is so-so.

bbursley

So I have upgraded my Netduma to Duma OS, and ive been able to achieve an A-A+ rating on buffer bloat. However congestion control doesn't always seem to be that great and and nor does my hit detection. Ive been constantly seeing a C rating for quality (except when I used reactive on the old firmware, but the CC wasnt as good). Ive set settings all as they should be and even experimented wirth others. Its rare that itll ever be anything beyond a C, if im lucky a B and even rarer is an A/A+ (thats alot like finding a rare pokemon). ill attatch some screen shots, also wanted to note that I am seeing packet drops in the log. not sure exactly why this is happening but it might attribute to the funky hit detection and C ratings. Also DSL reports shows some unusual download speeds, but speedtest does not. Whenever I am able to achieve a high "quality" rating along with the normal applied things in the duma (CC set, geofilter etc) the connection feels incredible. But when its worse...well I think thats obvious. I dont find others are having as much of an issue as I am when it comes to Duma OS, but maybe this is an R1 issue, idk.

image.thumb.png.79d66da69539f6c6d3d3313ca92f2e69.pngimage.thumb.png.722ce95a4d6a44bfc78551ab816ac202.pngimage.thumb.png.49f946d525f35c414114b20171820277.pngimage.thumb.png.19031b80a5a214477031d2a720fa1c48.png

• Administrators

You already know my thoughts on DSLReports so I won't repeat them. Good to see it's getting a decent bufferbloat score, I suspect the quality is due to the lower speeds it's reporting for some reason. I'm not sure exactly what your location is but assuming it's roughly where the speedtest.net server is DSLReports isn't using servers as close to you so that could account for it. I believe you can adjust the servers it uses in its' settings. Very early on we discovered Traffic Prioritization can interfere with DSLReports so you could disable that and see if it improves. The packet drops can be normal as more packets than are needed can be sent to ensure it arrives at the destination. The log looks fine, just showing normal background processes. Your ping plotter isn't too bad but does have a little bit of jitter so I would suggest that you use the guide I've previously given you to really fine tune it and get those spikes as minimal as possible. Even if if it requires severe throttling you could set Anti-Bufferbloat to apply only when gaming

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You already know my thoughts on DSLReports so I won't repeat them. Good to see it's getting a decent bufferbloat score, I suspect the quality is due to the lower speeds it's reporting for some reason. I'm not sure exactly what your location is but assuming it's roughly where the speedtest.net server is DSLReports isn't using servers as close to you so that could account for it. I believe you can adjust the servers it uses in its' settings. Very early on we discovered Traffic Prioritization can interfere with DSLReports so you could disable that and see if it improves. The packet drops can be normal as more packets than are needed can be sent to ensure it arrives at the destination. The log looks fine, just showing normal background processes. Your ping plotter isn't too bad but does have a little bit of jitter so I would suggest that you use the guide I've previously given you to really fine tune it and get those spikes as minimal as possible. Even if if it requires severe throttling you could set Anti-Bufferbloat to apply only when gaming

Also want to note that i started getting internet drop outs via wifi. I could reset the netduma and it would come back, but then it would happen again, it would show i was connected and that lights were going on with the LED indicators but it was stating I had lost the connection. This is definitely something I haven't experienced before...and im not sure why. Again id attribute it to being a Duma OS problem but more on the R1 side and maybe not so much with the other Duma OS routers (netgear ones). However I did turn off the buffer bloat and the disconnection didnt happen again. This must definitely be another issue isolated only to the r1's version since it is still a beta 🤷‍♂️

• Administrators
3 hours ago, bbursley said:

Also want to note that i started getting internet drop outs via wifi. I could reset the netduma and it would come back, but then it would happen again, it would show i was connected and that lights were going on with the LED indicators but it was stating I had lost the connection. This is definitely something I haven't experienced before...and im not sure why. Again id attribute it to being a Duma OS problem but more on the R1 side and maybe not so much with the other Duma OS routers (netgear ones). However I did turn off the buffer bloat and the disconnection didnt happen again. This must definitely be another issue isolated only to the r1's version since it is still a beta 🤷‍♂️

Your previous post you only quoted, was there a post missed out?

If you look under Traffic Prioritization do you see a lot of high priority packets for download and upload, download specifically? If so that could indicate there is high bandwidth applications being prioritized which could cause issues.

5 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Your previous post you only quoted, was there a post missed out?

If you look under Traffic Prioritization do you see a lot of high priority packets for download andecifically? If so that could indicate there is high bandwidth applications being prioritized which could cause issues.

Not as far as I’m aware, I’ve left everything the same since then, only last night at 9pm Eastern time, my connection had dropped 2 times back to back. I’m the order of, an alert on my tv saying there was no connection, it attempted to buffer but it was loading extremely slow, and then it just cut out all together. It did the exact same thing twice. The WiFi showed as connected (on my phone) but then disappeared altogether, but the light indicators showed there was still activity going on, even though there wasn’t unless it was my Xbox in the background. The only methods I had was to reboot entirely by unplugging and then plugging in and after that two times I decided well if the bandwidth is being cut that drastically for whatever reason then I’ll just turn the QOS off for now and it did stop. Was it by chance that fixed it? Idk, but as far as I know it didn’t do it again and my girlfriend hasn’t reported to me that it has cuz I’m sure she would be texting me by now. I also noticed a few other people using the R1 who have mentioned this. Perhaps the Duma OS is taxing out the hardware (I see mostly CPU) as everything else seems okay. I mean it’s a beta and we expect glitches sometimes. It’s jist hard to diagnose when it only happens to a select few. You think there’s any way to clear out old settings or install Duma OS by itself from a clean slate? I’m just trying to figure out why some people have issues and some don’t. I know some routers have NVRAM that typically has to be cleared because it stores old firmwares configurations, but I’m not aware of the hardware setups here, perhaps if that was the case then there would be an option to clear these things? I know on most other routers it’s usually a button combination. But again, idk how this hardware is configured since I’ve never studied it and assumed it was basic in that respect. I just know often times switching firmwares that are not the same carries over issues (which we are doing with R1 > Duma OS and others are probably installed natively without many before it). Those are just my thoughts. I’m not sure if you guys took a blank MikroTik and flashed it or if you just flashed it right from the 1.6. But also perhaps the new update carried over some buggy code that the previous didn’t and that happens too. Just speculating. I want this to work for all of us equally. I know I’ve been mad and I do apologize, I just felt like the old OS was kind of neglected from what we wanted it to be and our hopes are even higher with this new one. Tbh I could deal with it a fancy GUI and have a basic openwrt look if it meant I could understand it and use it all the same. My main priority is that it functions according to what we hope and that’s the most important thing.

• Administrators
10 hours ago, bbursley said:

You think there’s any way to clear out old settings or install Duma OS by itself from a clean slate?

Do you mean beyond a factory reset? Because this should achieve this. You could always downgrade back to original R1 firmware, then upgrade back again.

Also - have you manually entered anything to Traffic Prioritization? Last time I saw the log entry of 'full at 1024 entries' etc it was because someone had prioritized a very wide port range on their Gaming PC, which meant the feature was being flooded with high bandwidth data. This prevented QoS from working properly.

If you have manually added anything, try removing it and seeing if performance has improved.

2 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Do you mean beyond a factory reset? Because this should achieve this. You could always downgrade back to original R1 firmware, then upgrade back again.

Also - have you manually entered anything to Traffic Prioritization? Last time I saw the log entry of 'full at 1024 entries' etc it was because someone had prioritized a very wide port range on their Gaming PC, which meant the feature was being flooded with high bandwidth data. This prevented QoS from working properly.

If you have manually added anything, try removing it and seeing if performance has improved.

I have done the downgrade and then an upgrade, because i too thought this might help the situation, I havent added anything in the prioritization no. I did last time but i started with a clean slate this time (after doing like you suggested above) to try to ensure that it would be clear AND i have done the factory reset, so yes that was basically what I meant lol. I mean i wasnt sure of the design of the mikrotiks. Again as i said i know some have nvram that you need to clear and can even do remotely, something that not even a "factory reset" can clear. Ive been on the SNB (smallnetbuilder) forums long before i ever had a netduma and i ca  verify thats something i know has been an issue in routers. But these may be much simpler than that. It could be theres still issues with Duma OS and the R1 that isnt present on the others. Thats also kinda why i posted a million screen shots to kinda show all of that. I was even downloading songs to my spotify playlist last night (i rebooted my phone and that sometimes clears the songs out) and it felt like it was going SOOOO slow even with full signal, but that may not be related cuz i did a speed test from the app on my phone and it was telling me something different