XR500 and Vigor 130 GUI

muffintastic

Hello.

I have a Vigor 130 Modem hooked to my XR500, all is working well, Internet all that good stuff on Sky fibre without their crappy router. 

Issue is, I have lost access to the GUI page, for the Vigor 130 modem. The way around it on my old router (ASUS) was to telnet in and add the following command: ifconfig eth0:1 (WAN PORT) 192.168.100.2 255.255.255.0.
I have figured how to enable telnet access on the Netgear and basically I would need to access it through the WAN port of the XR500 without disrupting Internet access as well, I tried myself but made a potato out of it but restored my settings back to original. Is this possible, my router IP GUI (XR500) is set 192.168.1.1 and the Vigor 130 GUI is 192.168.100.1
All I can see from ifconfig is brwan - I added it there and lost internet access etc.
Any help would be appreciated or anyone else who has this modem. :) 

13 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You should be able to access it through the XR500 without running any commands, there doesn't appear to be a conflict. Does the Vigor give the XR500 a local WAN IP or does the XR500 use your public IP as its' WAN IP?

No, I have no access to it. My Current Setup:

1. Vigor 130 - EXTERNAL MODEM - Syncs To Sky Fibre

2. Vigor 130 <> XR500 - Get's Public WAN IP (Using DHCP Options)

3. XR500 (Public WAN IP/Access) - Provides Internet Access

I am using the brand new Ethernet cable that came with the XR500 to rule out any connectivity issues, which there aren't any since I'm getting FULL bandwidth to ALL devices, not running QoS at the moment.

2 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Very odd. If you connect your PC directly to Vigor, do you have access?

Can you ping 192.168.100.1 when going through the XR500?

Yes, I can connect to the Vigor 130 GUI when I set my LAN ADAPTER in Windows 10 to 192.168.100.2 and GATEWAY to 192.168.100.1 - This is when it's direct.

When I put my Windows 10 LAN adaptor back to DHCP put everything back to how it was I can not PING the Vigor 130 address nor access GUI through the XR500.

4 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Are there any options in the Vigor that will allow you to access from WAN? That'd be a workaround even though technically you'd be accessing through LAN. 

No, just pure modem, Vigor 130, handles the vdsl2 connection, no ddns etc, only accessible via local ip. 

1 hour ago, Netduma Admin said:

Have you tried giving the XR500 a static WAN IP of 192.168.100.x?

(I assume you have, but not sure you mentioned it above)

If I do this I lose internet access. Basically, the Vigor 130 acts as the bog standard modem, receives no WAN IP all that good stuff, it just syncs the fibre connection from the line and that's all it's for. I am using Sky UK hence the need for the DHCP Option 61 Client Field for me to enter my username and password in the XR500 to allow me to get WAN PUBLIC IP, I have tried this and it messes up the XR500 and I lose all internet access. I am stumbled imo, if there isn't a way forward or even a way for to assign the WAN port on the XR500 to > 192.168.100.2 255.255.255.0 for me to type 192.168.100.1 to the Vigor 130 Gui then it's no problem, I will have to do it manually via a laptop to check stats.

Apparently if you're not aware the 130 is basically a router but configure just a pure modem, this is Draytek for you, hence why I had to assign on my old Asus that ifconfig command, basically two routers connected but the 130 is acting as a pure modem without router capabilities.

ASUSWRT achieve this by allowing an addition WAN IP address configurable IP route, but this option is not available by Netgear Firmwares?

^ first post here > https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/Allow-Modem-UI-Access-from-behind-an-NightHawk-Router-via-WAN/idi-p/1325374

Somehow I need add an additional IP route to the WAN port.

• Administrators

Really odd that this doesn't work for you, might be a problem specific to Sky as theres no other reason it shouldn't just work. I would suggest contacting Netgear support directly, you could request the additional WAN route feature there, they may also have a command for you to use to achieve what you want but I don't know of a command to do that: http://support.netgear.com/

I too would like to know, I have a similar setup.

Vigor 130 does PPPoE passthrough and also has an ip of 192.168.2.1

So the XR500 does the PPPoE login fine.

On Asus routers and most other routers, to be able to view the modem's config page, you would create a wan ip alias or extra virtual interface on the wan of the router, using something like:

ifconfig eth0:0 192.168.2.2 netmask 255.255.255.0

The xr500 doesn't work with this, but should be possible using an alternative command, just don't know the syntax to use to get it to work.

This then allows everyone to browse the net as normal without double nat, but also allows you to login to modems page to check stats, update firmware etc.

11 minutes ago, Gouldin said:

I too would like to know, I have a similar setup.

Vigor 130 does PPPoE passthrough and also has an ip of 192.168.2.1

So the XR500 does the PPPoE login fine.

On Asus routers and most other routers, to be able to view the modem's config page, you would create a wan ip alias or extra virtual interface on the wan of the router, using something like:

ifconfig eth0:0 192.168.2.2 netmask 255.255.255.0

The xr500 doesn't work with this, but should be possible using an alternative command, just don't know the syntax to use to get it to work.

This then allows everyone to browse the net as normal without double nat, but also allows you to login to modems page to check stats, update firmware etc.

I did do "ifconfig brwan 192.168.100.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 but cripples everthing, lose internet, in my experiment, definitely needs an extra virtual interface, sounds like we need to pester Netgear for this.. 🤣

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I got this working kind of......

telnet to xr500

ifconfig brwan:0 192.168.2.2 netmask 255.255.255.0     or in your case @muffintastic 192.168.100.2

this adds the virtual interface on WAN port.

then "FROM WITHIN THE CURRENT TELNET SESSION OF THE XR500"

telnet 192.168.2.1       or whatever the ip of your vigor is, for instance @muffintastic yours is 192.168.100.1

You can then login using your vigor admin account and run commands like vdsl status or vdsl status more

I can't get to the gui from within my xr500 network on a wireless or wired pc for instance but at least i can check the vigors sync rate and stats.

Not sure if it survives a reboot of the xr500 as I haven't done that yet.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to resurrect a very old post but did anyone have any success getting this to work? I have the same setup vigor 130/xr500 - tried the instructions by Coronal Aurora but still can't access the vigor modem.  

• Administrators
25 minutes ago, ChipMWill said:

Sorry to resurrect a very old post but did anyone have any success getting this to work? I have the same setup vigor 130/xr500 - tried the instructions by Coronal Aurora but still can't access the vigor modem.  

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Do the links provided here help at all?

On 7/17/2019 at 5:06 PM, Mement said: