yes I am aware i posted a catchy title, but thats far from being wrong. I dont know what is wrong with Duma OS but i am just about ready to revert back to the old software. I cant seem to get anything but hitmarkers in games when i know for a fact my connection should be solid. I have posted previously with excellent ping stats and near to no jitter at all. i live off a main fiber line and am able to have access to fiber service so i would find it hard to believe my isp is at fault since all my tests prove my isp is A+ quality. With Qos on i get excellent buffer bloat and an A rating, and C quality (to many retransmissions). Without qos on i get horrible buffer bloat (obviously the test will max out the buffer) and excelelnt quality. ive had sliders at 90/90 70/70 and ipv6 off and NOTHING fixes this stupid issue of having constant hitmarkers when i know i shouldnt have that. yes the host filter works fabulous, but sadly the rest sucks. , my speeds are way slower than anything and the wifi on the r1 is trash (sorry its an old standard i know). anyways whats a guy gotta do to get a A all across the board or better? BTW my idle lag is 20-30 ms.... kinda way higher than should be as well....just saying, ive hadd routers before with way less. It just seems like one way or another i cant catch a break and i was one of those excited for Duma OS. The old firmware was better to me consistently on a DSL connection.

qos on.JPG

Capture.JPG

I just want to note here that my hit detection is often much better when qos is off rather than on....I feel like adding my console to the "hyper lane" now in Duma OS is broken. back in the old vversion hyperlane felt very obvious. idk

I'm using the ASUS ac2900 router, way better router...Qos is perfect and easy to setup. I gave up on this router. Qos is broken. enabled qos on the xr500 I get ping spikes when my wife watches netflix with 300 down and 20up. 

5 hours ago, DollaB1ll said:

I'm using the ASUS ac2900 router, way better router...Qos is perfect and easy to setup. I gave up on this router. Qos is broken. enabled qos on the xr500 I get ping spikes when my wife watches netflix with 300 down and 20up. 

Asuswrt firmware? I have an old rt-ac56u. its decent, not a beast but more so than the netduma is as far as a router goes. I have personally not used it in ages. Im not sure whats broken tbh the router or firmware. but seems out the router ping is hardly ever an issue it seems to arise from Qos. Now we do have to take into account for the fact that it is in Beta, and the geofilter is fabulous tbh. But I have better hit detection with the Qos off sadly, and as of lately even better when im not prioritized in the "hyper lane" as it used to be called. It was amazing back then but now it feels messed up. I have done SO many ping test etc, my end is good from what i can tell. my ping/jitter are amazing when idle (not accounting for any BB). I wouldnt say that Qos doesnt do ANYTHING, because with it enabled i definitely get a stable looking ping. however the part that says "quality" concerns me. If it was an A-A+ accross the board then i would argue everything is flawless. I think im gonna go back to the old firmware and also update my old asus and test that and if thats crap, then its Openwrt for me with Qos. I personally like the dumaos but the kinks need to be worked out for sure. itll get there, sadly i dont think the netduma company is all that big (that i know of) so these things seem to take long. I think what they are doing and have done is really clever however and its to bad they didnt have alot more manpower to crush out bugs or any other issues that occur. we will just see what happens i guess.

Morning

16 hours ago, bbursley said:

I just want to note here that my hit detection is often much better when qos is off rather than on....I feel like adding my console to the "hyper lane" now in Duma OS is broken. back in the old vversion hyperlane felt very obvious. idk

I have been using a Linux based app on openwrt as an experiment called netem

https://netbeez.net/blog/how-to-use-the-linux-traffic-control/

DumaOS on the R1 is doing a perfect job of keeping jitter to a minimum but it's blackops4 netcode which is at fault and feels like it's written with family usage streaming e.t.c in mind.

My line is perfectly flat but by adding a very small amount of jitter the Hit detection feels like it should

2 hours ago, progprogprog said:

Morning

I have been using a Linux based app on openwrt as an experiment called netem

https://netbeez.net/blog/how-to-use-the-linux-traffic-control/

DumaOS on the R1 is doing a perfect job of keeping jitter to a minimum but it's blackops4 netcode which is at fault and feels like it's written with family usage streaming e.t.c in mind.

My line is perfectly flat but by adding a very small amount of jitter the Hit detection feels like it should

just went back to the old firmware lol. using reactive algorithm and now im melting kids

2 hours ago, progprogprog said:

That's very odd

Let's hope it says that way.

Let me know how it (geo's) lol

yea  with the old firmware using reactive i could get mostly A+'s. nothing on duma os would do that for me. although i only tried black ops 3 the most and it was pretty solid feeling. bo4 still not so much, idk what to do about that. but will test a few others out (including overwatch). I forgot how buggy the settings were though. when i tried preemptive the hit detection was worse, same with using goodput on Duma OS. Idk what the issue is 😕 

3 hours ago, progprogprog said:

That's very odd

well so far black ops 3, and ghosts have been A1 hit detection lol. now i only have used geo on bo3 and not on ghosts, i think depending on the game depends on how important the host is.

8 hours ago, progprogprog said:

That's very odd

thats using the reactive algo at like 96/98 on sliders and bandwidth set to 100/10 (my obvious paid connection), I know it bursts up to 115 mbits down but I figure i dont need to worry about that cuz really if i have low buffer lag then most things will run A+. Also threw my router in Hyper Lane and im not sure if it matters without traffic in effect or not but i figured why not. so it prioritizes all ports directed at the xbox  according to an old post I found on here.

reactive algorithm.JPG

• Administrators

Very odd - what settings do you have Anti-Bufferbloat set to in DumaOS? Probably easiest if you take screenshots of your QoS page and post here and we will take a look - you should only ever see an improvement in connection with QoS enabled, so it's very weird you're seeing worse results

1 hour ago, Netduma Admin said:

Very odd - what settings do you have Anti-Bufferbloat set to in DumaOS? Probably easiest if you take screenshots of your QoS page and post here and we will take a look - you should only ever see an improvement in connection with QoS enabled, so it's very weird you're seeing worse results

It is odd actually, I had more hit detection issues with Duma OS than I did with the previous one. Whats also weird is that I used to use preemptive over reactive when I had a DSL line, now that I have cable its the opposite. I can get A-A+ BB with preempitve and the rest are not great. Same with Duma OS, id get great buffer bloat results but my "quality" results were C-D. So far reactive has been the only thing thats helped me get a fair connection, it didnt matter even if i was getting dedis for black ops 3 or 4, or any other game. Since switching its apparent when i'm NOT on one. Also, when using Qos with goodput, preemptive, I would constantly get half my speeds....idk what the issue was, and its to bad its happened because it was obvious the Duma os was great at buffer bloat but nothing else. also noticed this in the logs, not sure if it means anything. But believe me I know what im doing when it comes to using the Qos, I spent HOURS experimenting, sliders at 99/99, 97/97,95/95, 90/90, tried even using 70/70. nothing made my bullets register on dumaOS, not even traffic prioritization.

dropping packets.JPG

1 hour ago, bbursley said:

nothing made my bullets register on dumaOS, not even traffic prioritization.

I know it's a pain to have to reflash but have you tried unticking traffic prioritization in DumaOS?

I had very different results doing that!

Its putting gaming  packets first and shows on dslreports results.

Also dslreports is a great guide for buffer bloat results but having ping plotter running in the background will give you a true reading.

I can only dream of the bandwidth your running and have to result to loadbalancing with openwrt 

• Administrators
15 hours ago, bbursley said:

It is odd actually, I had more hit detection issues with Duma OS than I did with the previous one. Whats also weird is that I used to use preemptive over reactive when I had a DSL line, now that I have cable its the opposite. I can get A-A+ BB with preempitve and the rest are not great. Same with Duma OS, id get great buffer bloat results but my "quality" results were C-D. So far reactive has been the only thing thats helped me get a fair connection, it didnt matter even if i was getting dedis for black ops 3 or 4, or any other game. Since switching its apparent when i'm NOT on one. Also, when using Qos with goodput, preemptive, I would constantly get half my speeds....idk what the issue was, and its to bad its happened because it was obvious the Duma os was great at buffer bloat but nothing else. also noticed this in the logs, not sure if it means anything. But believe me I know what im doing when it comes to using the Qos, I spent HOURS experimenting, sliders at 99/99, 97/97,95/95, 90/90, tried even using 70/70. nothing made my bullets register on dumaOS, not even traffic prioritization.

dropping packets.JPG

Pre-emptive on the original R1 firmware would limit your speeds to about 60mbps, which is probably why you saw lower speeds.

That log you have is unusual - let me run it by a developer and i'll let you know what he says.

3 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Pre-emptive on the original R1 firmware would limit your speeds to about 60mbps, which is probably why you saw lower speeds.

That log you have is unusual - let me run it by a developer and i'll let you know what he says.

perhaps this was the reason i was getting bad hit detection with Duma OS. I figured the log seemed weird, funny that nobody had ever asked me about it before. Well all I know is preemptive was indeed dropping my speeds and also not giving me the best hit detection, reactive would. On Duma OS I had a similar experience. I have a 100/10 connection and as ive stated before its relatively stable with hardly any heavy traffic on the line, when running a ping test with the Duma OS's Qos on my ping line was virtually flat, only when adding traffic does that ever change and not by alot, so this leaves me wondering what the hell is going wrong. I don't know what the issue is, I can only tell you what i know is currently working and so far im back to the old OS using reactive since my hours and hours of experimentation based on what speeds I get (speeds arent super important since my LAN network isnt bandwidth heavy) and the connection i experience in game, even if my ping to a dedicated server is great and my BB is A+, the other ratings like "quality" were bad. Upon researching what quality factors in, it mentioned packet retransmissions, as noted by the log above ^^^. This may possibly be the reason "throughput" methods yielded postive results, while preemptive and "goodput" yields obnoxious hit detection that should otherwise have me out there dominating the lobby considering my connection is alot better than most people. Ive been tempted to drop the netduma and just go to DDWRT/OpenWrt, sure thats more of a hassle and id rather not because its alot more work. Id much rather stick to a product thats simplified and easier to use (as is advertised). I hope that we can come to some sort of resolve.

17 hours ago, progprogprog said:

I know it's a pain to have to reflash but have you tried unticking traffic prioritization in DumaOS?

I had very different results doing that!

Its putting gaming  packets first and shows on dslreports results.

Also dslreports is a great guide for buffer bloat results but having ping plotter running in the background will give you a true reading.

I can only dream of the bandwidth your running and have to result to loadbalancing with openwrt 

Haha, I had DSL before this so having this much bandwidth is even crazy for me, It gives me alot of room to be flexible. I actually never did try unticking that honestly. But even on the old OS I never had to do that to achieve all A-A+ on DSL Reports. I have run Ping Plotter in the background alongside the DSL Reports test and typically it shows my connection is very stable. THAT is what im confused about. Why is it I am doing nothing different from the old OS to the new OS yet getting entirely differnt results? In fact I would almost argue that unticking Qos on Duma OS was BETTER for hit detection. Despite having anything console related as a priority I was still getting bullet sponge effects, I literally died behind sold steel items in the game like a Shipping container in Bo4 and i know thats not even possible. But my clip would prove otherwise. Its really disappointing because Qos on the netduma has ultimately ruined my cod experience. SURE it does give me very good servers/hosts on the regular and again, that is very noticable when Qos does work because my packets are getting where they need to be when they need to be and my bullets are registerring and my scores for every match and ability to get streaks are game changing. I will absolutely admit when things are my fault and maybe im missing shots, but I am pretty experienced with call of duty and if im shooting at someone with their back turned, or even facing me and I die while they have 11 health then something isnt right. It shouldnt take half a clip to kill someone, I shouldnt shoot someone in COD ghosts and just die instantly, ping is king in almost every cod and even Themarkofj is a clear example of that, same with most youtubers, but if a devices OS isnt working right, then nothing else will no matter if you have google fiber or not. the router is probably the one most essential thing to have operating correctly and flawlessly for the rest to work well. Im just hoping whats going on is just a simple error or bug.

4 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

One thing i wanted to note also (this was an experiment). SO, when i used my laptop to run DSL reports tests (after using every other viable option before this), i set my laptop to have traffic priority in Duma OS (i prioritized all the ports), even setting the sliders down lower, i noticed i was still able to achieve full speeds still. So to simplify. Qos (Always on), sliders set back, laptop set in priority with all ports being prioritized (so i didnt miss any), Ran a DSL reports test and still had bad luck getting anything good as far as a score and still got my full speeds. To me this seems to show that something about the Qos or prioritization is faulty. I shouldn't be getting full speeds and I shouldn't have a worse result when my laptop has all the priority. Yes i did ensure no other devices had priority either.

• Administrators

Ah that explains why it might be going wrong. Traffic Prioritization is designed to put low latency traffic i.e. games to the front of the network queue. If you put all ports for a device, it will be completely overwhelmed, which would explain why QoS is not working.

Could you undo this change please and just keep DumaOS Classified Games checked, with no manual port rules added. If you want to prioritise your laptop, allocate bandwidth to your laptop using Bandwidth Allocation.

Then try testing again.

Ah that explains why it might be going wrong. Traffic Prioritization is designed to put low latency traffic i.e. games to the front of the network queue. If you put all ports for a device, it will be completely overwhelmed, which would explain why QoS is not working.

Could you undo this change please and just keep DumaOS Classified Games checked, with no manual port rules added. If you want to prioritise your laptop, allocate bandwidth to your laptop using Bandwidth Allocation.

Then try testing again.

Even if I put all ports for just an Xbox one? That doesn’t make sense seems how in the previous firmware it prioritizes all ports. You can see that if you enter a certain link ito the browser. But I only said that I used that as an experiment, it obviously wasn’t my real setup. I only had the classified games on when I was operating it as usual. Still had connection issues. No matter what combination of things I tried nothing really seemed to work. I am gonna try to factory reset and upgrade again. Do you think the issue may have been that as well or does an upgrade write over any existing firmware and completely replace it? I would think it should and that I would be all set. 

Then try testing again.

Even if I had used the classified games and everything else set as normal then my BB rating and quality should still be an A-A+. If I’m getting A-A+ BB and quality is bad then clearly I’m dropping packets or something. I’ll just have to factory reset and reinstall. You can just go from the old latest version of the R1 firmware straight to the milestone version or no? Or do I need to upgrade in increments?

• Administrators
5 hours ago, bbursley said:

Even if I put all ports for just an Xbox one? That doesn’t make sense seems how in the previous firmware it prioritizes all ports. You can see that if you enter a certain link ito the browser. But I only said that I used that as an experiment, it obviously wasn’t my real setup. I only had the classified games on when I was operating it as usual. Still had connection issues. No matter what combination of things I tried nothing really seemed to work. I am gonna try to factory reset and upgrade again. Do you think the issue may have been that as well or does an upgrade write over any existing firmware and completely replace it? I would think it should and that I would be all set. 

Yes because you're putting all ports you're also prioritizing any downloads. No the previous firmware as with DumaOS Classified Games prioritizes ports 1024-65535 which doesn't encompass the ports for downloads. Its usually recommended to do a factory reset after an upgrade to remove any potential legacy issues from previous firmware.

4 hours ago, bbursley said:

Even if I had used the classified games and everything else set as normal then my BB rating and quality should still be an A-A+. If I’m getting A-A+ BB and quality is bad then clearly I’m dropping packets or something. I’ll just have to factory reset and reinstall. You can just go from the old latest version of the R1 firmware straight to the milestone version or no? Or do I need to upgrade in increments?

I would not pay attention to DSLReports, Bufferbloat only occurs when the network is saturated and that test won't do it. I'd suggest you follow this guide to ensure QoS is working optimally as possible: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-test-your-connection

You can upgrade directly

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Yes because you're putting all ports you're also prioritizing any downloads. No the previous firmware as with DumaOS Classified Games prioritizes ports 1024-65535 which doesn't encompass the ports for downloads. Its usually recommended to do a factory reset after an upgrade to remove any potential legacy issues from previous firmware.

I would not pay attention to DSLReports, Bufferbloat only occurs when the network is saturated and that test won't do it. I'd suggest you follow this guide to ensure QoS is working optimally as possible: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-test-your-connection

You can upgrade directly

So when people stream via a device then the resulting ports are? Am I suppose to get normal speeds or close to the one represented in the throughput numbers that I enter? Either way that is still a lot of ports to priotize and they aren’t specific to a partlicular device, I feel like hyper lane from the old OS was device specific. From what you’re saying the Qos doesn’t know what device is really a gaming one other than the fact that it’s using specific ports, I think that needs to be narrowed down more specifically. Plus if you ARE encompassing that many ports then really you’re nearly covering them all. I mean the only ports that need to be prioritized are ones specific to a device and not necessarily a range, I know you could theoretically add those ports by themselves (as I have tried that as well using the ports listed by activision for UDP since I’m going to assume games mostly rely on the accuracy of UDP traffic, and then interpret a result. But there’s also tcp traffic which is designed for accuracy (perhaps scoring) and of those two don’t handshake then how does that effect the agreement of who kills who. 

I will definitely give the upgrade another shot ensuring to factory reset before and after the upgrade so as to not have any reason for a setting bug to be in effect. Then I will follow the suggested Qos setup and go from there. 

• Administrators
31 minutes ago, bbursley said:

So when people stream via a device then the resulting ports are? Am I suppose to get normal speeds or close to the one represented in the throughput numbers that I enter? Either way that is still a lot of ports to priotize and they aren’t specific to a partlicular device, I feel like hyper lane from the old OS was device specific. From what you’re saying the Qos doesn’t know what device is really a gaming one other than the fact that it’s using specific ports, I think that needs to be narrowed down more specifically. Plus if you ARE encompassing that many ports then really you’re nearly covering them all. I mean the only ports that need to be prioritized are ones specific to a device and not necessarily a range, I know you could theoretically add those ports by themselves (as I have tried that as well using the ports listed by activision for UDP since I’m going to assume games mostly rely on the accuracy of UDP traffic, and then interpret a result. But there’s also tcp traffic which is designed for accuracy (perhaps scoring) and of those two don’t handshake then how does that effect the agreement of who kills who. 

They're lower than 1024, mostly using standard internet ports. Depends on what your QoS settings are, should be near what Anti-Bufferbloat says you should have but console speed tests aren't as accurate. It detects if the device is online then any ports it uses within the range are prioritised. This is exactly the way the old worked, there is no difference except it's more automatic and detects when the console is online. It uses DPI to determine gaming consoles or games on PC. It will prioritize whatever is asked for, gaming barely uses much bandwidth so it can prioritize all without issue.

30 minutes ago, bbursley said:

I will definitely give the upgrade another shot ensuring to factory reset before and after the upgrade so as to not have any reason for a setting bug to be in effect. Then I will follow the suggested Qos setup and go from there. 

Great let us know!

1 minute ago, Netduma Fraser said:

They're lower than 1024, mostly using standard internet ports. Depends on what your QoS settings are, should be near what Anti-Bufferbloat says you should have but console speed tests aren't as accurate. It detects if the device is online then any ports it uses within the range are prioritised. This is exactly the way the old worked, there is no difference except it's more automatic and detects when the console is online. It uses DPI to determine gaming consoles or games on PC. It will prioritize whatever is asked for, gaming barely uses much bandwidth so it can prioritize all without issue.

Great let us know!

well, the reset button on the console wouldnt work for me so i did factory reset a couple times before install. I unchecked preserve settings etc etc, just to ensure NOTHING from the previous firmware should of carried over. I set my console to static ip, upnp on, qos speeds set (mine) and then adjusted sliders a little. made sure ipv6 was off also. Did not add anything to the prioritization. Essentially did nothing more than the usual setup.