VoIP Phone Stopped Working - Any Thoughts

Hi Guys, 

I have the Nighthawk XR500 router that I just picked up about a month ago and so far everything has been fantastic with it. I recently picked up a new Xbox One X and set it up with a static IP address directly on the Xbox but it wasn't holding the IP address for some reason. After restarts, it would get assigned a different IP address making my port forwarding not sending to the correct device. So to fix this I logged in the router and went Settings > LAN > and created an address reservation for it. Problem fixed. 

The next day I came into my office (home based business) and my VoIP phone was saying no service on it. First I thought that maybe there was an issue with the wifi range extender it was plugged into so I plugged the phone directly into the router to test that, and still no luck. I then logged into the router to see if the phone was maybe assigned an IP device that another device on my network already had and again that checked out fine. So next I called Ring Central who I have service with and whom I bought the phone from. We spent 3 hours between level 1 and level 2 support without any luck. We even did a factory wipe of the phone and reprovisioned it and still no luck. The phone is hitting Ring Centrals network and provisioning enough to download the settings for the phone but not connecting. 

My question for you guys is, is there something within the router I could have done to be causing this semi blocking of the phone? Anyone have any thoughts on things to check? Any ideas and feedback would be appreciated.

EDIT: Oh and every other device on my network is working fine. It's just this phone. Part of me thinks its a hardware issue, but the fact its partially connecting makes me think something on the router could be stopping it. 

• Administrators

Hi there and welcome to the forum. When you set up a static IP, did you also adjust any port forwarding rules / DMZ / UPNP to enable Open NAT?

My thinking is that ports are not being sufficiently opened for your VOIP phone to work. Usually all you need to do is make sure UPNP is enabled.

Hi when setting up the static IP on the Xbox all I did was go under settings > LAN > address reservations and set it at the IP address that had been assigned to the last time it turned on (192.168.1.17). I then went to port forwarding and edited the port forwarding settings to the new IP address. Previously I have a Xbox One (standard) on the router and had port forwarding going to that system which was set at 192.168.1.13, so I simply updated it from this. 

When I log into the router and go to the UPNP setting it says its enabled. 

Advertisement Period(in minutes): 30
Advertisement Time to Live(in hops): 4
Active: YES
Protocol: UDP
Int. Port: 52260
Ext. Port: 52260
IP Address: 192.168.1.17

Note the IP address is the same as the XB1X and I never set that so I'm guessing the router auto populated it. 

• Administrators

Thanks for the info. Could you try removing the Port Forwarding rules and then see if it works.

Also, did you change any settings on your modem? If possible, could you see if it has an option for 'modem mode' or 'bridge mode' and enable that. This should help get VOIP working for you again.

• Netduma Staff
17 hours ago, kderentz said:

Removed the port forwarding and now its working. Thank you! 

Whats weird is that I had port forwarding set up for the old xbox with the VOIP phone and had no issues. Why now all of a sudden is it having issues? 

Welcome to the forum :D I'm not sure why it started up suddenly, but I'm super glad our admin was able to get to the solution quickly. We might need to investigate this further to figure out what went wrong! Is everything sorted for you now? (i.e are you happy without port forwarding configured?)

Hi Guys, 

So I'm still not sure what's going on. 

I went back and readded the port forwarding and then the phone stopped working again. So I went back removed port forwarding and rebooted the router. This time the phone still didn't work. Went into the LAN settings and removed the address reservation for the Xbox and restarted and now it's working fine again. 

I really want to have the XBOX on a dedicated IP with port forwarding so that I can get a open NAT for COD BO4. Any thoughts? 

The weird part is is I had this set up with my Xbox One S just fine. It seems to be since I switched it to the Xbox One X that issues have started. For one the Xbox One X will not hold the IP address if you set it within the Xbox settings. That's why I went to the address reservation within the router instead, but then after doing that is when I started having issues. 

The other strange part is that the phone wasn't set with an IP anywhere close (192.168.1.8) and the Xbox address reservation was at (192.168.1.17) 

• Administrators

It's possible the phone was trying to use the ports that you had forwarded to the Xbox. Setup the static IPs again but this time for the Xbox use Port Triggering, it's essentially the same as Port Forwarding except they will only be opened for the Xbox when it's on. So in theory the phone/other devices can use the ports if needed the rest of the time, see if that works.