Best suggested settings for improved Nintendo Switch

Hi guys, 

What would be your suggested best settings for improving both ping and download speeds on Nintendo switch, at current settings (same I use for my PC) I get 28 Mbps download peak, according to Duma os. While on PC I get 680 Mbps peak using same monitoring method. 

Ping isn't actually too bad it seems they use a fourm of peer to peer and dns sever connections, while pinging the Nintendo eShop I get a mostly reasonable 45 Ms ping and it's actually heavily dependant on my dns setting, something I rarely run into. 

Thanks for all suggestions! I tried YouTube but it's the casual I'm a console gaming YouTuber who has no idea what I'm doing just max out package time out LMFAO 💀

I'm sure the more tags and hits the more it will lead desperate switch owners to come here and become Duma owners so win win for helping me out because there are no other helpful resources online. 

❤️

• Netduma Staff

Hi - I reckon that's down to the network card inside the switch, it's probably not capable of higher speeds - especially if you're running wireless speed tests. Every device handles throughput differently depending on the hardware, so it's more often than not something you can't fix. (That's why wired PC speed-tests are the way to go :) )

DNS is a setting that can slightly improve the load time of websites. It doesn't provide marked improvements in gameplay despite rumours that it does. 

The key factor (by far the most important for gaming) is ping, and the key factor with ping is distance to the game server. Minimising that distance using the Geo-Filter is by far the most efficient way to improve gameplay, so if you let us know which game you're playing and where you're located I could throw some suggestions your way :D

5 hours ago, Netduma Jack said:

Hi - I reckon that's down to the network card inside the switch, it's probably not capable of higher speeds - especially if you're running wireless speed tests. Every device handles throughput differently depending on the hardware, so it's more often than not something you can't fix. (That's why wired PC speed-tests are the way to go :) )

DNS is a setting that can slightly improve the load time of websites. It doesn't provide marked improvements in gameplay despite rumours that it does. 

The key factor (by far the most important for gaming) is ping, and the key factor with ping is distance to the game server. Minimising that distance using the Geo-Filter is by far the most efficient way to improve gameplay, so if you let us know which game you're playing and where you're located I could throw some suggestions your way :D

hi how could I use the switch on filtering mode? because it wont let me join any mariokart 8 deluxe matches nor super smash bros ultimate on filtering mode only on spectating mode. every time I try to join a match or a lobby it says connection lost. same happens on madden 19 on xbox, and BF1 and BFV if I try to do matchmaking but not choosing a server.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, OnlineGamer said:

hi how could I use the switch on filtering mode? because it wont let me join any mariokart 8 deluxe matches nor super smash bros ultimate on filtering mode only on spectating mode. every time I try to join a match or a lobby it says connection lost. same happens on madden 19 on xbox, and BF1 and BFV if I try to do matchmaking but not choosing a server.

Have you got the switch set as the switch device type in the device manager? What are your Geo-Filter settings? 

Sounds like your Geo-Filter settings are far too restrictive. In general we don't recommend using Geo-Filter for BF as you can select own servers

23 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Have you got the switch set as the switch device type in the device manager? What are your Geo-Filter settings? 

Sounds like your Geo-Filter settings are far too restrictive. In general we don't recommend using Geo-Filter for BF as you can select own servers

xbox one x and Nintendo Switch are both on spectating mode and under their correct device.

under options I have 

Strict Mode checked

auto ping host checked

ping assist is at 0 because I am a bit confused about it and from I've been told here is that it is only for peer to peer connections, and to be honest only game ive seen connect using peer to peer is COD BO4, marion kart 8 deluxe, madden 19, fifa 18 and 19, super smash bros ultimate and Mario party.

now out of all of these games the only one I could play using ping assist the way the website help link says is COD b04(havent tried any other COD game) all of the others say my connection timed out or connection lost.

now on the xbox 1x if put it filtering mode with strict mode checked I can find matches in

Fortnite

R6S

every COD game 

PUBG

fifa 18

BF1 and BFV I can only select the servers not do a quick match.

but I cannot join games like 

madden 19

any switch title

Edited by OnlineGamer
add information

• Administrators

You can use Ping Assist for servers as well. Would suggest putting it on about 50ms and that should help you with BF and other games. There may be some authentication servers that need whitelisting, allow some servers that appear on the map, does it allow you to get games in filtering mode?

17 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You can use Ping Assist for servers as well. Would suggest putting it on about 50ms and that should help you with BF and other games. There may be some authentication servers that need whitelisting, allow some servers that appear on the map, does it allow you to get games in filtering mode?

how should I have it set up, because I did how the help page said by putting it on the middle of ocean and closing the radius as small as possible but it wouldnt let me join anything, even if I set the ping up to 80. and this was with everything checked in geo filter except fast search , and on filtering mode instead of spectating mode.

• Administrators

I wouldn't suggest doing that, it also sounds like it wasn't working properly if thats the case. Use the radius as well but also use ping assist but first do:

1. Hard turn off console
  2. Delete device from Geo-Filter
  3. Flush Cloud
  4. Wait 2 mins
  5. Add device
  6. Set the Geo-Filter how you want
  7. Boot up console/games

Then see if it works correctly

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

ok when you press start on the madden 19 menu the first it connects to is a dedicated server the ID is

ac9fe2ad3c4b9499

when I play a game I connect to a domain as a peer and the ping to this one is low (37ms) the ID is

c09fd29d3c5f9499

now the second one is also a peer connection but is it a EA "server" but the ping to this one is high (75ms) the ID is

df9fb8833c7e9499

I have allowed all these servers but every time I try to look for a game a similar Server ID shows only difference could be a few letters or numbers but still ends in 9499 and wont let me join it unless I hit Allow before the timer hits 10 seconds in the games.

now if thats the case then I will have to that for every game and I am assuming I would be allow in the 50s if not hundreds and I believe there is a limit for Allow and Deny servers right?

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I wouldn't suggest doing that, it also sounds like it wasn't working properly if thats the case. Use the radius as well but also use ping assist but first do:

1. Hard turn off console
  2. Delete device from Geo-Filter
  3. Flush Cloud
  4. Wait 2 mins
  5. Add device
  6. Set the Geo-Filter how you want
  7. Boot up console/games

Then see if it works correctly

if I use ping assist can I uncheck strict or it needs to be checked?

• Administrators
39 minutes ago, OnlineGamer said:

ok when you press start on the madden 19 menu the first it connects to is a dedicated server the ID is

ac9fe2ad3c4b9499

when I play a game I connect to a domain as a peer and the ping to this one is low (37ms) the ID is

c09fd29d3c5f9499

now the second one is also a peer connection but is it a EA "server" but the ping to this one is high (75ms) the ID is

df9fb8833c7e9499

I have allowed all these servers but every time I try to look for a game a similar Server ID shows only difference could be a few letters or numbers but still ends in 9499 and wont let me join it unless I hit Allow before the timer hits 10 seconds in the games.

now if thats the case then I will have to that for every game and I am assuming I would be allow in the 50s if not hundreds and I believe there is a limit for Allow and Deny servers right?

Great thanks, theres lots of servers clustered in the same location so that sounds right. Ideally all you need to allow are any icons that appear up until/on the menu. After that whatever appears should be filterable. Theres no limit as far as I am aware

2 minutes ago, OnlineGamer said:

You can untick it if you want to, doesn't need to be enabled for ping assist to work

4 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Great thanks, theres lots of servers clustered in the same location so that sounds right. Ideally all you need to allow are any icons that appear up until/on the menu. After that whatever appears should be filterable. Theres no limit as far as I am aware

You can untick it if you want to, doesn't need to be enabled for ping assist to work

I tried on COD set the ping assist to 25ms. the first one was 25ms the second one was 37ms so was the third one and so on. this is with strict mode ticked and a radius of 1220 miles

I tried it with strict mode unticked with the radius as small as possible and was getting 35ms and up to 45ms

tried it with strict mode off but a radius of about 980 miles and it was getting me servers outside of the radius with 35+ ms

all of these test are with the console on filtering mode.

is something wrong with my router? 

1 hour ago, OnlineGamer said:

I cannot join any server in Mario kart 8 deluxe with strict mode ticked or unticked just like with madden19 servers but it was find games with 143ms with ping assist at 50.

in super smash bros I can find matches but 55+ms with ping assist at 50

with strict mode ticked im find matches outside of my radius with 70ms. inside my radius is between 56ms and 73ms with ping assist at 50.

• Administrators

Hi there,

Could you do this please:

Let us know how you get on after trying this.

Thanks. 

10 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Hi there,

Thanks. 

if I do this which I have tried, games like fortnite show a ping of 9999ms and If I try to join a lobby It wont let me. I am going to try it again but by doing what fraser told me to do, which re doing everything in geo filter. ill let you guys know.

11 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Hi there,

Thanks. 

yea no it doesn't let me connect to any dedicated server using ping filter I restarted the game 3 times just to make sure and it shows my regular ping as 9999ms and when I try to join a server it shows with a triangle and says network connection lost. so ping filter is not working or working properly.

my geo filter settings are 

XB1X in filtering mode

strict mode ticked

auto ping ticked

ping assist 50ms

fast search unticked

radius is in the middle of the ocean and at the lowest range possible (111km)

I haard turned off my xb1x, unplugged from the wall.

deleted the device from the geo filter did again razer asked me to do from above.

did what you told me to do for ping filter 

and fortnite still does the same thing, and cant even find games in COD B04 it is showing connection looking like peers with triangles on them.

but if I untick strict mode I can find games in fortnite, cod ETC

now on the Nintendo switch

I tried looking for games in Mario kart 8 deluxe and super smash bros ultimate and I couldn't join the server.

so either 

1. ping filter doesn't work 

or 

2. something is wrong with my router.

ive resetted it to factory settings 4 times and put the old firmware twice so that I can update to the new one and still nothing.

and it cant be my settings because I am doing it how you guys are telling me.

• Administrators

Could you take a screenshot of your Geo-Filter page please, ideally with the Map options expanded so we can see what is checked and what isn’t  

Could you also take a screenshot when you get a king of 9999ms please. That is certainly very strange. Thanks.