PS4 fragmentation messagae

I experience part chat drops out on PS4 Pro with my XR500. If I swap my router for my old Zyxel this does not happen. When using the speed test function on PS4 it reports the router is fragmenting packets which means some services will not be supported. Assume this is affecting my party chat. 

My PS4 Pro is LAN cabled, MTU testes at 1492 and 1500, always full rebooted (not use in rest mode). I want to like this router but it seems to have issues I don’t see on other kit.

Thanks 

Guest Killhippie

This message appears when using the PS4 over Wi-Fi I noticed (I had a duff switch for a while) The PS4 Pro uses 802.11ac and older models only 2.4Ghz. When using the network test it freezes on Nat type for maybe 20 seconds and this message appears. This has been going on since mid last year sadly. I have seen it on other Netgear routers (R7800, R7000, R6300v2 DGND3700v2 etc) It can be fixed but it seems this is not a priority for whomever needs to do the fixing on Netgears side..Tbh its getting kind of old now and should not be happening. I'm back on my switch but some folks don't have that luxury and have to use Wi-Fi and 802.11ac over 5Ghz is pretty stable, but some may have to use an older PS4 on 2.4Ghz. It seems Netgear wont fix it. Maybe the Netduma team could push this, try testing a later model PS4 and an early one over Wi-Fi and see what the issue actually is, then tell Netgear.   :)

Guest Killhippie
On 2/10/2019 at 12:58 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

KillHippie can you disable the Geo-Filter when you can reliably reproduce it and see if that fixes it. If it's to do with NAT then that may resolve it.

I cant easily get to my switch or router to unplug (physical issues with my disability still stopping ease of movement) I have tried this before and it has not helped, its something on Netgears end, I have no idea what. Altering MTU never fixed it either. Since it occurred on non DumaOS routers maybe that's a clue for someone? I'm using a PPPoE connection with a MTU of 1492 (VDSL2) and PS4 on automatic (you can change the MTU  on the PS4 it makes no difference as mentioned) try using the PS4 speed test and you should see this get stuck on Nat type. It eventually passes as Nat type 2, but it does not like working out the NAT type at all. The other settings like SSID etc it manages very quickly. Google the message and you will see its quite prevalent. Some routers dont cause it, so maybe an issue with the firewall on some Netgear kit?

The actual error message is "the router in use may not support ip packet fragmentation, some ps4 features may not be available"

• Netduma Staff
3 hours ago, Killhippie said:

I cant easily get to my switch or router to unplug (physical issues with my disability still stopping ease of movement) I have tried this before and it has not helped, its something on Netgears end, I have no idea what. Altering MTU never fixed it either. Since it occurred on non DumaOS routers maybe that's a clue for someone? I'm using a PPPoE connection with a MTU of 1492 (VDSL2) and PS4 on automatic (you can change the MTU  on the PS4 it makes no difference as mentioned) try using the PS4 speed test and you should see this get stuck on Nat type. It eventually passes as Nat type 2, but it does not like working out the NAT type at all. The other settings like SSID etc it manages very quickly. Google the message and you will see its quite prevalent. Some routers done cause it, so maybe an issue with the firewall on Netgear kit?

The actual error message is "the router in use may not support ip packet fragmentation, some ps4 features may not be available"

Weird. I reckon it's caused by the Netgear side of the router software, as that deals with MTU / firewall stuff. It could be worth raising this with them. It definitely happens across multiple routers, not just DumaOS powered ones, so I'm not sure if this even has a bearing on the router itself... It could be like the 'LAN not connected' bug with the PS4 pro, which affects different PS4's at random no matter which router they use (but can be fixed sometimes by connecting straight to the Modem, oddly enough).

Guest Killhippie
21 hours ago, Netduma Jack said:

Weird. I reckon it's caused by the Netgear side of the router software, as that deals with MTU / firewall stuff. It could be worth raising this with them. It definitely happens across multiple routers, not just DumaOS powered ones, so I'm not sure if this even has a bearing on the router itself... It could be like the 'LAN not connected' bug with the PS4 pro, which affects different PS4's at random no matter which router they use (but can be fixed sometimes by connecting straight to the Modem, oddly enough).

I would agree with what Jack has said, if you google the actual message many routers don't cause the message, but equally many different brands do, including some Asus routers. Not a DumaOS issue tbh.