anti bufferbloat doesn't get rid all of my congestion, help?

I really don't understand this, when i download something my ping still increases even with anti bufferbloat on the xr500 and I do have 70/70 on. This problem actually happened with my other routers, a nighthawk with openwrt on, and netduma r1 and yes all routers had the recommended qos settings and 70/70 sliders and all that good stuff. It doesn't completely get rid of the congested internet and it's not even close..  With anti bufferbloat on, in black ops 4 my ping goes to 70-100, normally it should be around 40 if internet isn't congested.   but I know anti bufferbloat is helping cause once I turn it off my ping goes up to 200-300 ping.   but the weird thing is I did a test where I would upload a video to congest the internet, it barely does anything, it's like a slight 1-5ms increase of ping which I don't care really. But when someone downloads something my ping automatically going into the 100s and I would prefer not play at 100 ping if someone downloads something.  I just want to know if there was a way to fix this or is this normal? 

• Administrators

Try reducing download even lower, perhaps to about 50%

Also, what are your total bandwidth speeds? And have you allocated any bandwidth to your console in bandwidth allocation?

Finally, how are you measuring ping? Through the Geo-Filter or the in-game Ping?

8 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Try reducing download even lower, perhaps to about 50%

Also, what are your total bandwidth speeds? And have you allocated any bandwidth to your console in bandwidth allocation?

Finally, how are you measuring ping? Through the Geo-Filter or the in-game Ping?

at the time I made this post it was at 100mbps download, I decided to get 300mbps today thinking maybe I needed more speed,  and I don't think the ping times are different.  I have to lower my download speeds to like 10mbps for it to be playable when someone is downloading something, it might be like +20 ping when I go that low.

And I was using the black ops 4 in-game graph  and ping plotter on my pc at the same time. 

• Administrators

Ok, thanks for the update. Higher bandwidth in most cases won’t change your ping. 

Could you disable IPv6 in Settings. And are you connecting via PPPoE by any chance?

6 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Ok, thanks for the update. Higher bandwidth in most cases won’t change your ping. 

Could you disable IPv6 in Settings. And are you connecting via PPPoE by any chance?

ipv6 has been automatically disabled since I got the router, so it always been disabled. and I don't even know what a pppoE is, so I am not connected to it.

• Administrators

Ok, thanks for confirming.

I think the best step here would be to test your line's ping. Could you follow this guide please and then post your results in here.

Thanks. 

On 2/4/2019 at 5:52 AM, Netduma Admin said:

My internet is not  the most stable internet. It used to be way worse when I had a puma 6 modem and that was the only modem I could get. my isp finally got a docsis 3.1 modem and I instantly went for it and ping times are way more stable than before, but it is a puma 7 chip though.  People say puma 7 chips are bad too, but mine seems to be stable enough. 
My idle network ping.png

• Netduma Staff
1 hour ago, fpsabe said:

My internet is not  the most stable internet. It used to be way worse when I had a puma 6 modem and that was the only modem I could get. my isp finally got a docsis 3.1 modem and I instantly went for it and ping times are way more stable than before, but it is a puma 7 chip though.  People say puma 7 chips are bad too, but mine seems to be stable enough. 

That's kinda' stable but it's not perfect. Is that with Anti-Bufferbloat enabled? What happens if you dial down those sliders to like 30/30? You should be able to see a noticable difference. What you could do is start downloading / streaming a film and start your test at the same time with QoS disabled. Halfway through the test, enable QoS and see what it does to your connection.

3 hours ago, Netduma Jack said:

That's kinda' stable but it's not perfect. Is that with Anti-Bufferbloat enabled? What happens if you dial down those sliders to like 30/30? You should be able to see a noticable difference. What you could do is start downloading / streaming a film and start your test at the same time with QoS disabled. Halfway through the test, enable QoS and see what it does to your connection.

I tried 30/30 slider with anti bufferbloat enabled and it's worse, then  I stopped the download and put 70/70 back on and then I turned share excess off at the end  cause that's what I found to make my internet the most stable.  I  just find this weird, anything to do with my upload my internet doesn't get congested at all, but anything with the download part, it just goes badly.  Qos for sure helps a lot, but it just doesn't get rid all of the congestion in the download for some reason. 

congested internet.png

• Netduma Staff

Eesh, fair enough. I'm not the best with Pingplotter so I'm doubting whether the test I recommended was a good way to do it. The results at the end of the test are brilliant considering you've got a download running though - that's what we like to see. Think of it this way; without QoS, your connection looks like the first half of that test. With a specific QoS setup you can get it looking like the last quarter - almost perfectly flat.

When you're downloading, you can never completely eliminate the added latency it causes. I'd say QoS is doing a fantastic job though judging by those results. Now add that your gaming traffic is prioritised (with Traffic Prioritisation) over that download, and you've got a great solution to massively reduce the lag you'd normally get.

It's all trial and error, there might be a way to improve the results even further. Try out a similar test with Anti-Bufferbloat at 50/50 or different figures, and try modifying Bandwidth Allocation too if you'd like :D

4 hours ago, Netduma Jack said:

Eesh, fair enough. I'm not the best with Pingplotter so I'm doubting whether the test I recommended was a good way to do it. The results at the end of the test are brilliant considering you've got a download running though - that's what we like to see. Think of it this way; without QoS, your connection looks like the first half of that test. With a specific QoS setup you can get it looking like the last quarter - almost perfectly flat.

When you're downloading, you can never completely eliminate the added latency it causes. I'd say QoS is doing a fantastic job though judging by those results. Now add that your gaming traffic is prioritised (with Traffic Prioritisation) over that download, and you've got a great solution to massively reduce the lag you'd normally get.

It's all trial and error, there might be a way to improve the results even further. Try out a similar test with Anti-Bufferbloat at 50/50 or different figures, and try modifying Bandwidth Allocation too if you'd like :D

alright thanks. That's what I wanted to know if the extra latency is normal or not. cause in the ping plotter guide,  in the pictures that show a congested line using the qos at 70/70  is  only up to 10+  extra latency , I wanted to get similar results to that and I have no idea how.  I've tried every different set up with different sliders, different bandwidth for devices.