How do I use my Xr500 with an att bgw210

Is there anything special I need to do or is it just plug and play straight out of the box? Also why does the xr500 lag on my the phones connected to it? I also get more lag and huge lag spikes with this router than my old wndr3400v2? I assuming I may have done something wrong durring the install? 

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

I would set the ATT in modem mode if possible or bridge mode, failing that then you'd put the XR500 WAN IP found in System Information into the ATT's DMZ and turn off the ATT's WiFi. Then connect all your devices to the XR500 otherwise it can't control your connection properly. Then I would recommend following this optimal settings guide and that should resolve your lag issues: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/folders/16000090646

• Administrators

They have something called IP Passthrough instead which you can do, instructions here: https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Features/Help-Configuring-BGW210-In-Bridge-Mode-IP-Passthrough-for-EA9500/td-p/5265310 and then just follow the optimal settings for the router and you're good to go.

Forsure thanks. So I’m in the process of doing that now and it’s asking me for the network address of my XR500 router (I’m assuming that’s my IP address of the XR500) where can I find that information. It’s also asking me for the subnet mask which I also need to know where to find? Thanks! 

I’m not sure how to get the cascading router option to work so I just let it be. I got one more question. So I’ve had a lot of different routers these last year and so far this XR500 isn’t the best I’ve had. With that being said I still have issues with it being laggy on the Xbox more so than other routers I’ve used and a huge problem with our phones connection being laggy. (Taking a while to load online games and Facebook videos just to name a few problems.) the biggest problem is the download on Xbox. It’s inconsistent. What I mean is when I try to down load a game the download rate jumps around from 3 to 23 and some times higher but it never stays in a constant range. (Although it seems to stay below 20 more often)  I put 75 on bandwidth allocation to see if it fixed it, which then made it jump around 3-80. None of my old routers had this issue. My old one would stay around 24-28 which was spot on considering I had 28 max speed back then. I’m guessing I have to mess with the setttings more with this router to get it working right. Is there a way to prioritize Xbox game downloads via the Xbox marketplace? Also is there a way to prioritize my phones?

• Administrators

Okay no worries. Make sure all devices are connected to the XR500 first of all, both wired and wireless.

What's your average ping to the game as shown by the Geo-Filter?

What have you got your Anti-Bufferbloat settings set to as well as your traffic Prioritization? Do you have share excess for bandwidth allocation both download and upload enabled?

Yeah everything is connected to the XR500. It shows 33 but on the game it shows 40-60 ping and lag spikes of 700+ as well as extreme packet loss. I have the anti buffer set to off as I don’t want to hinder other devices more so that it already is. For bandwidth I have it where it shares excess. When I download games via the Xbox market place it doesn’t show high priority packets going through just back ground. What I really want to know is how I make other devices a priority as well. 

• Administrators

Okay well first of all that sounds like local congestion if you've got a low ping server but it's spiking. Without Anti-Bufferbloat enabled you will not be preventing it. With it enabled you'll barely notice much difference on devices other than when doing a speed test. So QoS isn't affecting your speeds at the moment so unclear why they're fluctuating so much. Yes that's expected behaviour as we prioritise gaming not downloads, it's a tool only meant to be used with low bandwidth allocations. I wouldn't advise prioritising downloads as that will completely lock your connection up for any other devices. However, if you wanted to do it use a manual rule and use ports 1-65535 SRC & DST, TCP & UDP but it could cause issues.

I’ll try it out. I’ll set it to only when priority traffic and at 70% as it recommends. Hopefully that will fix my issue. Using that manual rule will help when I’m downloading games on the Xbox to take priority over normal traffic? Then I’ll just switch it off when I’m done downloading and it’s back to just the games correct?

• Administrators

Okay keep us updated! That manual rule will completely supercede any other devices on the network in favour of your console so would definitely recommend removing it when you're not downloading and sticking with DumaOS Classified Games

• 10 months later...

Hello Fraser,

So i have this exact same setup XR500 and ATT BGW210. however, i also have ATT Uverse tv which plugs directly into the BGW210 in order for it to work. now when i plug the cables from receivers (mains receiver and wireless box for a second tv in a different room) to  the XR500, the TV will work for 20-30 seconds and then it will freeze until i change the channel and again it will work for 20-30 seconds and freeze. at the moment the Uverse Lan cables are the only thing connect to the att Modem everything else i have it either through wifi to my XR500 or Lan for PS4

• Administrators
11 hours ago, joel82 said:

Hello Fraser,

So i have this exact same setup XR500 and ATT BGW210. however, i also have ATT Uverse tv which plugs directly into the BGW210 in order for it to work. now when i plug the cables from receivers (mains receiver and wireless box for a second tv in a different room) to  the XR500, the TV will work for 20-30 seconds and then it will freeze until i change the channel and again it will work for 20-30 seconds and freeze. at the moment the Uverse Lan cables are the only thing connect to the att Modem everything else i have it either through wifi to my XR500 or Lan for PS4

In most cases you may have to have the TV directly connected to the BGW in order to sustain a connection, however, in the XR WAN Settings enable IGMP Proxying and that may help.