Is upgrade to Duma OS worth it “yet”?

CrossFitKila717

Hey all,

hopefully this is the right section for this......

Ive been contemplating on upgrading from original R1 firmware (which I’ve been happy with).....but.....I know the Duma OS is still working the bugs out. 

What is everyone’s honest opinions on upgrading or staying?

Thanks in advance!

6 hours ago, CrossFitKila717 said:

Hey all,

Ive been contemplating on upgrading from original R1 firmware (which I’ve been happy with).....but.....I know the Duma OS is still working the bugs out. 

Thanks in advance!

To be honest, I would upgrade and see how it works out for you, you can always go back to the original FW if need be. I much prefer DumaOS over the original FW but others are using the old FW due to some feature not yet being available on DumaOS yet. Are there any particular bugs you are concerned about?

• Netduma Staff
8 hours ago, CrossFitKila717 said:

Hey all,

Thanks in advance!

I'd say this fear of upgrading is ancient history now. There was an issue with the Geo-Filter cloud on DumaOS, but that was fixed before Christmas. Hybrid VPN and Ping Assist are on DumaOS now, so all the useful features from the old firmware are there and much more. It's by far a more stable platform at this point, and it'll just keep getting better now that the obstacles 2018 threw at us are out of the way.

21 hours ago, CrossFitKila717 said:

Hey all,

Thanks in advance!

My honest opinion. If the old firmware works for you stay there. Currently for BO4 to work the best I have upnp (turned off) not working for me so I've manually port forwarded all ports on the game and playstation. I have IPV6 turned off both on WAN and LAN. Honestly on the old firmware you could dial in the connection better with the congestion control and QOS doesn't do much for throttling. I've debated going back to old. I swear QOS doesn't work at times too cause I feel like the game is playing sluggish. Sometimes the game plays decent and you get on a few hours later and its unplayable. Honestly, the game played a whole lot better back in the day on the p2p connections instead of the horseshit servers. I like OS for ease of use and looks, but the old beater R1 fw felt like it was more consistent at times. Eventually I'm going to have to pony up to buy the XR500 cause I'm about to upgrade my speeds to 400down and 20 up. Not sure the R1 can handle that high.

2 hours ago, purpleandgold33 said:

My honest opinion. If the old firmware works for you stay there. Currently for BO4 to work the best I have upnp (turned off) not working for me so I've manually port forwarded all ports on the game and playstation. I have IPV6 turned off both on WAN and LAN. Honestly on the old firmware you could dial in the connection better with the congestion control and QOS doesn't do much for throttling. I've debated going back to old. I swear QOS doesn't work at times too cause I feel like the game is playing sluggish. Sometimes the game plays decent and you get on a few hours later and its unplayable. Honestly, the game played a whole lot better back in the day on the p2p connections instead of the horseshit servers. I like OS for ease of use and looks, but the old beater R1 fw felt like it was more consistent at times. Eventually I'm going to have to pony up to buy the XR500 cause I'm about to upgrade my speeds to 400down and 20 up. Not sure the R1 can handle that high.

Thank you......I’m mostly playing WW2 still. BO4 is fun but I still prefer WW2 for now anyways. I’ve been seeing lots of issues with BO4 it seems like but not all necessarily related to Duma OS. Of course if I upgrade, I’d hope Duma OS works equally well on both games.

• Administrators
18 hours ago, purpleandgold33 said:

QoS eliminates local congestion, if your ping is good and you're getting sluggish gameplay thats not an issue caused by ineffective QoS, most likely a server under heavy load. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2019 at 7:42 PM, purpleandgold33 said:

I have 400 down and 20 up and the r1 handles it pretty well now if charter can get their crap together I might be able to use the r1 more effectively 

15 hours ago, scbba said:

I have 400 down and 20 up and the r1 handles it pretty well now if charter can get their crap together I might be able to use the r1 more effectively 

I just upgraded to 400 down 20 up( I have charter as well). My gaming is perfect but I cannot come close to getting those speeds when I do a speedtest. How did you do it? 

• Netduma Staff
7 hours ago, purpleandgold33 said:

I just upgraded to 400 down 20 up( I have charter as well). My gaming is perfect but I cannot come close to getting those speeds when I do a speedtest. How did you do it? 

What are ya' getting with QoS disabled on a wired PC? :)

• 2 months later...
On 2/7/2019 at 10:20 PM, purpleandgold33 said:

I dont ever see the full 400 because I am to far away from the pole they have been running a access point closer to the house for over 2 months . I just cant seemed to get my duma set up correctly for gaming 

• Administrators
6 hours ago, scbba said:

I dont ever see the full 400 because I am to far away from the pole they have been running a access point closer to the house for over 2 months . I just cant seemed to get my duma set up correctly for gaming 

Start a new topic explaining the issues you're having and we can help out

16 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Start a new topic explaining the issues you're having and we can help out

I have already to no avail its all good I will see how it plays out after they finish with the pole move and new cables to the home. I have it where there is not as bad wtf moments but I think alot of has to do with the netcode of cod