Bandtwidth drop VPN

balbo88

Hi guy's ,

i have a problem with DumaOS and my vpn .

My bandwidth drops a lot when i use the vpn on the router .

I mean a huge drop , from 140 MB/S to a poor 7 MB/S .

When i use the vpn app on my desktop same server its stays on my original bandwidth .

So i am a little lost because i don't understand why i have that massive drop , hardware of the R1 that can't manage the encrypted information flow ?

Or something else !?

I notice that the CPU is close to the 100% (netduma cpu)

It will by cool if someone advise me .

Thanks  

• Netduma Staff
2 hours ago, balbo88 said:

Hi guy's ,

i have a problem with DumaOS and my vpn .

My bandwidth drops a lot when i use the vpn on the router .

I mean a huge drop , from 140 MB/S to a poor 7 MB/S .

When i use the vpn app on my desktop same server its stays on my original bandwidth .

So i am a little lost because i don't understand why i have that massive drop , hardware of the R1 that can't manage the encrypted information flow ?

Or something else !?

I notice that the CPU is close to the 100% (netduma cpu)

It will by cool if someone advise me .

Thanks  

7mbps is pretty poor even for a VPN - were you getting your full speeds before connecting your VPN?

You can always use Hybrid VPN to exclude devices which need the speed. Unfortunaly the Netduma R1 hardware can't handle much higher speeds through a VPN than you have.

When i disconnect my vpn ,the router (netduma r1) delivers 140Mb .

I have my provider modem and the netduma behind it , i understand 140 is a little much .

But even when i slow down my connection , i get stuck around 7 mb .

Thanks fore you time Jack

• Netduma Staff
2 minutes ago, balbo88 said:

When i disconnect my vpn ,the router (netduma r1) delivers 140Mb .

I have my provider modem and the netduma behind it , i understand 140 is a little much .

But even when i slow down my connection , i get stuck around 7 mb .

Thanks fore you time Jack

I believe 7mbps might be all you can get through the Netduma R1 over a VPN, since it has very limited hardware in that regard. Your gaming devices won't need high speeds, since games use <0.5mbps, so that shouldn't be too much of an issue. You should be able to use Hybrid VPN to exclude any devices or services which need higher speeds.

• Netduma Staff
15 minutes ago, balbo88 said:

Is it a hardware problem (limitation) of the R1 ?

Yes. Usually people are limited to around 10-20mbps, but it's not uncommon for that figure to be below 10mbps. It's literally a CPU limitation - the better the CPU on a router, the higher speeds you can get using a VPN with it. The Nighthawk XR500 could probably get 100mbps, and I'm not sure about the XR700.

VPN's are very hard-ware intensive - your bandwidth will always be capped, and your ping will always be higher. That's why we usually recommend against using them unless you know for absolute certain that someone is trying to DDoS attack you, or if you use it to spoof your IP address to use services limited to other countries.

Thanks Jack , so you are sure that i can push 100 mbps true a xr 500 ?

Its a investment , so i want by sure that its worth the money , even i don't need 100mbps .

7 is just to less , around 50 mbps and i already will by happy !

Jack , i have done some research ! And the xr 500 don't do much better ! ( around 7 Mbps to)

So i have the feeling that its not only a hardware problem but also a software problem .

I think in a time were people want some privacy on the net , its important to have the tools to achieve this .

DumaOs is first of all fore gaming , but it will by cool that if you guy's implement a feature like VPN it also works properly .

So on this point , it make not sense fore me to buy a xr 500 .

Hope that you guy's will by able to fix the VPN troubles on DumaOS .

But thanks fore your time Jack

See you

• Netduma Staff

Still, those speeds are normal - there aren't any VPN clients on a router that allow higher speeds than a VPN client on a PC. As far as I'm aware, it's only possible if the router CPU is equally or more powerful than the specs on your PC. I was half right, it's the XR700 that allows you to get around 100mbps on a VPN (since it's got a quad-core CPU). The XR500 is slower, maxing out at around 20mbps since it's dual-core.

That's why we designed Hybrid VPN to allow you to choose which device and application the VPN applies to. You can use that to get full speeds on the devices that need it by excluding them from the VPN.

Hi Jack ,

i found another solution .

A router design fore this , that provide the same original bandwidth .

The xr 700 looks cool , but the price don't look that cool .😭

So i will try that router and put my netduma behind it , that should work to and that fore 1/4 of the price of the xr 700.

Thanks fore your time Jack .

• Netduma Staff
21 hours ago, balbo88 said:

Hi Jack ,

i found another solution .

A router design fore this , that provide the same original bandwidth .

The xr 700 looks cool , but the price don't look that cool .😭

So i will try that router and put my netduma behind it , that should work to and that fore 1/4 of the price of the xr 700.

Thanks fore your time Jack .

Alright Balbo interesting stuff, I'm glad you've found a solution. Hopefully in the future routers with massive CPU's will be more affordable for this reason :D enjoy your gaming!