Netduma/Throttling Internet Problems

Hey everyone, so to start off, my internet at 100 download cap and 100 upload cap is about 330/22 which is what it is supposed to be. Out of no where my internet began getting really slow. I used to throttle my internet from 100 to about 75  on congestion control, so I could get an A on buffer bloat and doing so, would give me about 170-220 download and about 18 upload, which I would assume is normal for throttling my internet down to 75 and it worked great. 

Anyways now throttling my internet even from 100 percent say to 98 percent on download gives me about 100-150 download and upload stays the same at about 18-22. My download goes way down for just dropping from 100 to 98. I can even throttle it down to 50 percent and ill still get the same speed I would if i throttle it at 98 percent, its so weird. This never used to happen before and I notice when I am on call of duty I start getting a lot more lag.  I tried playing on just my Modem to subtract this being the issue and it worked just fun, no lag. So it has to be something going on with the Netduma. Any suggestions? Ive tried resetting them both and the IPv6 is disabled. 

Sorry if I made this confusing. 

• Netduma Staff
1 hour ago, Steve said:

Hey everyone, so to start off, my internet at 100 download cap and 100 upload cap is about 330/22 which is what it is supposed to be. Out of no where my internet began getting really slow. I used to throttle my internet from 100 to about 75  on congestion control, so I could get an A on buffer bloat and doing so, would give me about 170-220 download and about 18 upload, which I would assume is normal for throttling my internet down to 75 and it worked great. 

Anyways now throttling my internet even from 100 percent say to 98 percent on download gives me about 100-150 download and upload stays the same at about 18-22. My download goes way down for just dropping from 100 to 98. I can even throttle it down to 50 percent and ill still get the same speed I would if i throttle it at 98 percent, its so weird. This never used to happen before and I notice when I am on call of duty I start getting a lot more lag.  I tried playing on just my Modem to subtract this being the issue and it worked just fun, no lag. So it has to be something going on with the Netduma. Any suggestions? Ive tried resetting them both and the IPv6 is disabled. 

Sorry if I made this confusing. 

Hi Steve, welcome to the forum! It's not confusing at all, not to worry. First off, a small fact about Anti-Flood (or Anti-Bufferbloat on DumaOS) - if it's set to 100/100, that's effectively the same as saying it's turned 'OFF'. If it's set to any other value, it's turned 'ON'. The speeds you're getting on 98% seem a bit too low, but a large speed drop is expected since it's actually quite a dramatic change (turning that feature on).

One thing I would note is that you've got really high speeds already... You might just have a better experience using Super Turbo Mode, which is recommended for over 300mbps speeds. Your Internet 'pipe' is big enough to ensure bufferbloat isn't a problem anyway, so disabling that and other Congestion Control features using Super Turbo Mode would probably benefit you.

Also disable Deep Packet Inspection and make sure your testing environment hasn't changed - your speed tests need to be on a wired PC using speedtest.net.

Hey Jack thanks for the quick reply, so from the email you sent me, I already had my correct speeds set on the anti buffer bloat advanced options (bandwidth) I even set it a little higher just to insure I get the highest I can.

My concern is this never used to happen before. I could throttle it to say 90 and I would get around 250 download and an A-B buffer bloat grade. Now my buffer bloat is C-F. What could be the issue?

So my PC is wired and Deep Packet processing has always been off. 

• Netduma Staff

I'm honestly not sure why it would only start happening now. Have you considered just upgrading to DumaOS? The software is far more capable and stable than the old firmware, so you might find your speeds improve when throttling using DumaOS.

• Administrators

I think this is on the Netduma side - probably because of something on the original firmware. So as Jack said, I highly recommend you upgrade to DumaOS and see if everything works well then (https://netduma.com/r1-dumaos/)