Docsis 3.1 built in QoS affect router QoS xr700

1 minute ago, Asjb123 said:

Well again the said the lines are fine and that spectrum doesn’t use mocha filters due to not using whole house dvr and that there docis3.1 isn’t always used until enough bandwidth is being pulled through the line which I think is a croc... but yes there’s exposed spliters. . Which all were replaced. And the filter on the cable modem  is for downstream signals. they told me also it can’t be adjusted at the node because it would effect everyone on the line. 

So it actually switches between 3.0 and 3.1 

Just an update when tech came replaced some lines coming into the house power signal was 11db and instead of a -6db filter threw a 9-dB filter on the back of the modem and said there you go problem fixeof course speed test is showing shoty speeds

also notice with QoS on alot of packet loss happens is that normal....and that Spectrum 500ms spike should that concern me since that is close to my location?

also ive switched over to Sfp+ adapter for WaN disconnections but now receiving these  error logs in modem ui

Screenshot (5).png

Screenshot (6).png

4 hours ago, Sunaikinti said:

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/cable_tv/charter.html

Looks like you're not the only one dissatisfied with their service.  The walmart of cable!  Lazy tech.  All lines should run to outside weather proof box with one splitter. This is a homerun installation.

image1166.jpg

Yes ive finally been esclated and a line tech is being sent out to check everything as their phone support said the filter on the modem is like trying  put a bandaid on a bullet wound.

Well that's good news your finally getting a line tech out.. You have been through a lot already so I hope things get better from here on out for you.. When the line tech is there always feel free to ask him or her questions.. The line tech will have a lot better testing equipment and knowledge that no install guy has.. Good luck and let us know how it goes..

Zippy.

4 hours ago, Sunaikinti said:

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/cable_tv/charter.html

Looks like you're not the only one dissatisfied with their service.  The walmart of cable!  Lazy tech.  All lines should run to outside weather proof box with one splitter. This is a homerun installation.

image1166.jpg

That's a good installation right there.. Exactly how mine is.. Good post too btw!

7 hours ago, ScottsGameRoom said:

I was looking into getting one.

Do you think it's worth upgrading?

Its worth upgrading if your ISP supports DOCSIS 3.1. DOCSIS 3.1 uses AQM.. Which also includes a version of PIE..  Just look up DOCSIS 3.1 AQM and read more about it.. AQM's primary function is to deal with latency.. And if your a gamer it should spark some interest.. If your currently using DOCSIS 3.0 it wouldn't hurt to upgrade.. Who is your ISP?

Zippy.

1 hour ago, Zippy said:

Its worth upgrading if your ISP supports DOCSIS 3.1. DOCSIS 3.1 uses AQM.. Which also includes a version of PIE..  Just look up DOCSIS 3.1 AQM and read more about it.. AQM's primary function is to deal with latency.. And if your a gamer it should spark some interest.. If your currently using DOCSIS 3.0 it wouldn't hurt to upgrade.. Who is your ISP?

Zippy.

Also be weary and ask questions from your isp I was stuck paying 200$ installation fee and there gig service swaps between docsis 3.0 and 3.1...so docsis 3.1 doesn’t enable itself until the line starts pulling over the 400mb threshold at that point it then switches to docsis 3.1 is how a tech finally explained it to me 

On 1/28/2019 at 6:17 PM, Zippy said:

Zippy.

Thanks for the reply!

I have Spectrum.

28 minutes ago, ScottsGameRoom said:

Thanks for the reply!

I have Spectrum.

Your welcome! I also have Spectrum.. How has your gaming experience been with this ISP thus far?  They are a very interesting ISP.. Granted im not in your region but when I went to Spectrums main office I talked to there main regional manager and he seemed very in the know.. I asked him would one benefit having a DOCSIS 3.1 modem even if we are not on there Gig plan.. His response was yes.. Because we would benefit with having lower latency using DOCSIS 3.1 modem itself for its new technology in dealing with latency. Specially streamers and gamers.. That's what caught my attention.. I could careless for a Gig plan. Im all about latency. And that is something cable providers have struggled with for years.. I currently have 200 down and 20 up.. What I would do is find your Spectrums main office and pay them a visit and ask them.. That is if there is one fairly close to you.. That way you will know if its something worth your time to have a 3.1 modem.. A side note.. Make sure whatever modem you get don't get one with a puma chipset..That would be like taking one step forward and about 5 back! lol.. Good luck!

Zippy.

3 hours ago, Zippy said:

Your welcome! I also have Spectrum.. How has your gaming experience been with this ISP thus far?  They are a very interesting ISP.. Granted im not in your region but when I went to Spectrums main office I talked to there main regional manager and he seemed very in the know.. I asked him would one benefit having a DOCSIS 3.1 modem even if we are not on there Gig plan.. His response was yes.. Because we would benefit with having lower latency using DOCSIS 3.1 modem itself for its new technology in dealing with latency. Specially streamers and gamers.. That's what caught my attention.. I could careless for a Gig plan. Im all about latency. And that is something cable providers have struggled with for years.. I currently have 200 down and 20 up.. What I would do is find your Spectrums main office and pay them a visit and ask them.. That is if there is one fairly close to you.. That way you will know if its something worth your time to have a 3.1 modem.. A side note.. Make sure whatever modem you get don't get one with a puma chipset..That would be like taking one step forward and about 5 back! lol.. Good luck!

Zippy.

My conversation with the special tech informed me their docsis is hybrid and actually runs on docsis 3.0 until I start pulling over the 400megs then will at that point switch over to docsis 3.1. . 

1 hour ago, Asjb123 said:

My conversation with the special tech informed me their docsis is hybrid and actually runs on docsis 3.0 until I start pulling over the 400megs then will at that point switch over to docsis 3.1. . 

That would make sense when we are talking about bandwidth.. I think the reason behind that is because of the large amount of DOCSIS 3.0 modems still in use or that are deployed on there network.. So that is why I think one will flip back and forth from 3.0 to 3.1 if one is on a Gig plan.. The way im understanding the latency factor though is because if one has a 3.1 modem it deals with latency better regardless because that part is something that is set in the chipset of the modem.. Have you noticed lower latency with your 3.1? And is your modem one that you got from Spectrum or is it one that you bought? Thanks!

Zippy.

1 hour ago, Zippy said:

That would make sense when we are talking about bandwidth.. I think the reason behind that is because of the large amount of DOCSIS 3.0 modems still in use or that are deployed on there network.. So that is why I think one will flip back and forth from 3.0 to 3.1 if one is on a Gig plan.. The way im understanding the latency factor though is because if one has a 3.1 modem it deals with latency better regardless because that part is something that is set in the chipset of the modem.. Have you noticed lower latency with your 3.1? And is your modem one that you got from Spectrum or is it one that you bought? Thanks!

Zippy.

im currently using netgear Cm1000 but when the tech was here it shows the modem was using docsis 3.0 from his tool which would mean docsis 3.1 isn't even being used so at that point theres no docsis 3.1 features becuase its using 3.0 but i play on ps4 average 30-40ms games... but still have bullet lag on dedicated servers which might stem from 4k tv no hdr... but its not just bandwith is the bummer part you have to be pulling over the 400 megs to get it to switch to docis 3.1 

so it mainly just runs on the regular  24 bonded channels until it starts pulling over 400 then swaps to the Ofdm downstream

but if its not pulling over 450 megs it runs on docsis 3.0..

in ping plotter hop 3 is 7-8 miles from my house averaging 34ms with 700ms ping spikes, hop 4 is roughly 35-40 miles is a steady 10ms which is spectrums second station.. not sure if that makes sense to you also i keep getting daily SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to receive MAC SYNC frame within time-out period... which i think might be caused from the insane ping spike on hop 3

Screenshot (7).png

Screenshot (8).png

16 hours ago, Asjb123 said:

im currently using netgear Cm1000 but when the tech was here it shows the modem was using docsis 3.0 from his tool which would mean docsis 3.1 isn't even being used so at that point theres no docsis 3.1 features becuase its using 3.0 but i play on ps4 average 30-40ms games... but still have bullet lag on dedicated servers which might stem from 4k tv no hdr... but its not just bandwith is the bummer part you have to be pulling over the 400 megs to get it to switch to docis 3.1 

so it mainly just runs on the regular  24 bonded channels until it starts pulling over 400 then swaps to the Ofdm downstream

but if its not pulling over 450 megs it runs on docsis 3.0..

in ping plotter hop 3 is 7-8 miles from my house averaging 34ms with 700ms ping spikes, hop 4 is roughly 35-40 miles is a steady 10ms which is spectrums second station.. not sure if that makes sense to you also i keep getting daily SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to receive MAC SYNC frame within time-out period... which i think might be caused from the insane ping spike on hop 3

Screenshot (7).png

Screenshot (8).png

When I see your ping plotter results that hop number 3 is a concern imo.. It would seem very odd to have that high of latency when that hop is so close to you.. But the kicker at that hop isn't just the high latency its the fact you have some serious spikes going on at that hop. It could be a simple fact that at that hop it doesn't respond well to pings thus giving you a incorrect reading.. What happens when you ping that hop only?  To me if your gaming experience was well with no bullet lag then I would say that hop means nothing. But the fact that you are having some bullet lag may suggest you do have something going on.. I will see what happens when I ping that hop 3 and let you know my results.. But I do have another question for you.. When you got your modem provisioned did you have a computer connected to it at that time? Or was there nothing connected to it while it was being provisioned?  Thanks!

Zippy.

9 minutes ago, Asjb123 said:

It was either through the router or straight to the computer I can’t remember.. 

Heres why I asked.. I do have a good friend that works for Spectrum and he is a line tech. And he repeatedly told me when I provision my DOCSIS 3.1 modem do not have anything plug into it while its being provisioned.. And he said this to me over and over to make sure no computer or router are attached to it while its doing the provisioning.. Once its fully up and running and been provisioned then I can go ahead and attach my router.. I never did ask him why but I found it very interesting.. I will have to ask him why this is.. So I was just wondering what you did.. I also did ping that hop of yours.. And got the same results as you did.. I will attach my results..

1658805721_Screenshot(43).thumb.png.784945a2021362a910daf6ccd7caf45a.png

So i talked with spectrum they say it is provisioned corrects I unplugged it and let it reboot so I’ll see if I get any errors in the log on my ofdm channel I did get 300 uncorrected code words..

but yes I have a concern with that ping spike on hop 3 as well I informed them of this issue because I feel like that’s where online gameplay is getting brief stuttering im also going to try disabling QoS... not sure if there may be a conflict with the docsis 3.1 Aqm 

4 hours ago, Asjb123 said:

but yes I have a concern with that ping spike on hop 3 as well I informed them of this issue because I feel like that’s where online gameplay is getting brief stuttering im also going to try disabling QoS... not sure if there may be a conflict with the docsis 3.1 Aqm 

Hi again, I mentioned to you in your thread on ping plotter that it is nothing to worry about, here it is from the horses mouth https://www.pingman.com/kb/article/one-poorly-responding-router-5.html

Op if you are getting uncorrectable's of 300 that maybe your issue then.. You can always look at what it is that your getting for codes.. Also dslreports may have some good info on there forum to exactly what those uncorrectables mean.. See if others have reported this with your brand and type of modem.. At the very least you should be able to find some info and learn some knowledge of exactly what impact those uncorrectables may have in your case.. Also as  Zennon has said your hop number 3 isn't a bad hop.. I had a hunch on this as well.. Your destination hop is your primary focus.. What kind of results do you get when you ping your ISP dns?  

As far as disabling QoS you can give that a try and see if that helps.. There are others that have had a better experience with that disabled. I think though they have only done this more on the upload side of things.. I know on my setup I currently only buffer the download.. Which I think I have my download set at 90% and my upload is set at 100%.. It really does take some tinkering to dial this in. 

Zippy.