Speeds Down From Origional Router On PPPOE

TheMysticle

Hello I have a netduma r1 on the newest DumaOS milestone I am very happy with it. There is one problem though. The internet speeds are not great. If I connect through LAN to the router Vodafone sent me I get speeds around 75 or even 80. I have put that router in bridge mode and connected the netduma to it using PPPOE is this the most optimal way to do it or is there another way? Thank you.

1 hour ago, TheMysticle said:

Hello I have a netduma r1 on the newest DumaOS milestone I am very happy with it. There is one problem though. The internet speeds are not great. If I connect through LAN to the router Vodafone sent me I get speeds around 75 or even 80. I have put that router in bridge mode and connected the netduma to it using PPPOE is this the most optimal way to do it or is there another way? Thank you.

I would let the vodafone router do the pppoe>>>>>>>disable all wifi on that router, also upnp on that router also. Connect the R1 to your router  and let the R1 handle upnp and wifi. Reconnect your pc to the vodafone router with R1 connected and find the dhcp address of the R1 in your vodafone router, make it static in your router and then add that address to your vodafone routers dmz. Then reconnect your pc to the R1 and that is that.

15 hours ago, BIG__DOG said:

I would let the vodafone router do the pppoe>>>>>>>disable all wifi on that router, also upnp on that router also. Connect the R1 to your router  and let the R1 handle upnp and wifi. Reconnect your pc to the vodafone router with R1 connected and find the dhcp address of the R1 in your vodafone router, make it static in your router and then add that address to your vodafone routers dmz. Then reconnect your pc to the R1 and that is that.

Thank you very much for you answer. I will try this as soon as I am home. Would this be a better way of running the  netduma? Are there any downsides to running it this way? Like will it still be able to port forward or will the vodafone router be doing that? Thanks again

all depends on the length of the ethernet cable running from your modem to the port socket in your garage. There is a length limit but for the life of me I cannot remember off the top of my head but it is around the 100 meters mark which is not usually exceeded in most peoples houses unless it is a very long cable run going up walls etc etc. You should be fine if you are using good quality cabling.

The R1 is not good at handling pppoe connections, that's why it is best to have another device in front of the R1 to deal with pppoe.

Happy to help! :)

43 minutes ago, BIG__DOG said:

all depends on the length of the ethernet cable running from your modem to the port socket in your garage. There is a length limit but for the life of me I cannot remember off the top of my head but it is around the 100 meters mark which is not usually exceeded in most peoples houses unless it is a very long cable run going up walls etc etc. You should be fine if you are using good quality cabling.

The R1 is not good at handling pppoe connections, that's why it is best to have another device in front of the R1 to deal with pppoe.

Happy to help! :)

Thank you so much the speeds are already better when I connected the netduma using DHCP instead of PPPOE :) . I have also disabled wifi and upnp on the vodafone router but what I am confused about is the last part, the DMZ I can see the settings in the vodafone router but I am not sure which IP address to put in. Would that just be the IP of the netduma? 192.168.2.1 or is it something else? also should I just enable DMZ for all the WANS? Thank you

screeny.png

4 minutes ago, TheMysticle said:

Thank you so much the speeds are already better when I connected the netduma using DHCP instead of PPPOE :) . I have also disabled wifi and upnp on the vodafone router but what I am confused about is the last part, the DMZ I can see the settings in the vodafone router but I am not sure which IP address to put in. Would that just be the IP of the netduma? 192.168.2.1 or is it something else? also should I just enable DMZ for all the WANS? Thank you

screeny.png

hi. It depends on what ip's are listed in the vodafone router. If your R1 has been assigned 2.1 then that is what you put into the SMZ. Happy to help anytime and glad that your speeds have improved :)

7 minutes ago, BIG__DOG said:

hi. It depends on what ip's are listed in the vodafone router. If your R1 has been assigned 2.1 then that is what you put into the SMZ. Happy to help anytime and glad that your speeds have improved :)

ANd is there any way to allow the netduma router to do the port forwarding? Because currently I dont think its working. I need to port forward through the vodafone one

17 minutes ago, BIG__DOG said:

Also is the  netduma supposed to be plugged into the Lan1 Port in the router or the WAN port?

1 hour ago, BIG__DOG said:

Also One More question sorry about this, Should the netduma be on the same subnet? Thank you for all you help

• Administrators

You want to enter the WAN IP of the the Netduma R1 into your modem’s DMZ. You can see the WAN IP if you go to System Information in DumaOS

If you ever need it, subnet should be 255.255.255.0

• Administrators
9 hours ago, TheMysticle said:

Also is the  netduma supposed to be plugged into the Lan1 Port in the router or the WAN port?

Missed this question in my last reply! You plug port 1 on your Netduma into a LAN port on your modem

1 minute ago, Netduma Admin said:

You want to enter the WAN IP of the the Netduma R1 into your modem’s DMZ. You can see the WAN IP if you go to System Information in DumaOS

If you ever need it, subnet should be 255.255.255.0

was just in the middle of typing a response, thanks for the input :)