Router Freezes on Reboot with cable plugged into WAN (PoE) Port

Hello,

The router freezes on reboot if I leave the cable plugged into the PoE (WAN) port. The router will only work again if I unplug the cable from the PoE port and then power cycle it by pulling the power cable.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Running latest firmware.

Thanks

Sorry, I was away for a while.

Basically what happens if I am logged into the router and I press the "Reboot router" button, the router will not complete the boot process. It basically freezes and stops working. The only way I can get the router to work again is to power cycle it by pulling the plug and removing able cable from the PoE (WAN) port while doing that. If I leave the ethernet cable plugged into the PoE port, it won't finish booting (no beeping noises after boot).

Another annoyance is all of the settings need to be reconfigured because of the power cycle.

Thanks

Hi I would try another Ethernet cable first before we move on.

I worked in IT and have already tried that. I have tried many different cables. Same outcome. It is rather odd. I have no idea while the router cares if there is a cable plugged into the PoE port during reboot. It makes zero sense.

What type of reboot is this, turning it off at the wall or the misc settings reboot tab?

If it is from the wall could you try the reboot from the gui misc settings.

Edit : I have just read your other post about it freezing from a misc reboot.

I would check the port for any thing that could be shorting on both routers.

Also what FW are you using 1.03.4 is the latest.

What type of reboot is this, turning it off at the wall or the misc settings reboot tab?

This is definitely a weird one for sure, please double check what Zennon has said. When you click the reboot button does it freeze straight away or does the popup appear?

Yeah I am on the latest 1.03.04.

I will double check the port again but from what I remember it physically appears fine.

Have you ensured that its plugged into port 1 of your ISP hub as well?

Yes I have. With the cable unplugged, once it finishes booting I can reconnect the cable to the PoE port and things work. I just can't have a cable plugged in while it reboots.

• Administrators

Very strange, I'm not entirely sure what could be causing this. Does it occur whether you're wireless or wired when doing the reboot. I know the cable in the PoE port will still be connecting but just curious about this.

Very strange, I'm not entirely sure what could be causing this. Does it occur whether you're wireless or wired when doing the reboot. I know the cable in the PoE port will still be connecting but just curious about this.

I am only wired. I turn off the wireless on the R1 router. I have an Asus AC router for all the wireless in the house.

• 5 weeks later...

I am wondering and I could be totaly wrong but your modem is sending to many volts down the ethernet cable resulting in a freeze.

Ether the duma is too sensitive or the modem is sending to many volts in the first place

Do you have another modem to try?

wiki/Ethernet_over_twisted_pair

• Administrators

This is still happening. Any updates on a possible fix?

Thanks very much!

I've put it into the ticket system, but no update so far I'm afraid. Zennons suggestion would definitely be worth looking into :) 

I've put it into the ticket system, but no update so far I'm afraid. Zennons suggestion would definitely be worth looking into :)

I am wondering and I could be totaly wrong but your modem is sending to many volts down the ethernet cable resulting in a freeze.

Ether the duma is too sensitive or the modem is sending to many volts in the first place

Do you have another modem to try?

wiki/Ethernet_over_twisted_pair

I have tried different types and brands of modems and it is the same issue.

I will keep troubleshoooting.

Thanks everyone!!

Archived