Network Prioritisation

Impulse

• Administrators

Okay no worries, some people have found changing to use OpenDNS on the PS4 helped which is: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220. Others are also saying their MTU has caused a slowdown so you could try changing this as well. Not sure why these would make a difference especially if QoS disabled gives the proper speeds but it's something to try while I investigate further

I was just about to ask u about the mtu. I've went ahead and changed it to 1472 on the router (auto on the PS4) given that there's an overhead of 28 I believe. I do get the correct speeds more often now when I run the tests. I'll give the DNS a try and let u know. Regarding the mtu, will 1472 be a problem when using PPPoE ?

With the DNS you provided, my upload speed is even less (2Mbps). I think the only thing that positively affected it was lowering the mtu on the router settings to 1472. (Could be a placebo, but with a few speedtest runs, I've been getting my correct speeds more consistently). What confuses me is that when I'm not getting my actual speeds, the upload is limited to 10Mbps (usually ranges from 9.7 to 10) rather than a random number). Maybe a bug in the coding ?

nvm, speeds still capped at 10Mbps lol. Appreciate the effort btw

(my actual speeds with Qos on are supposed to be 175down/35up). On speedof.me, my download is 57 and upload is 0.24.

Im pretty sure the upload on my PS4 browser doesn't work due to the ISP. About a month ago though the ookla speed test used to show the upload. However through a computer the speeds are accurate.

Okay I'll give it a try. Will 1472 MTU negatively affect my xr500 router performance (I tried 1500 but it gives an error that it's not in the range) And after switching back to my old router (which can't support my full download speed BTW) I noticed the hit detection was cleaner than on the xr500 with auto mtu etc.

• Netduma Staff
10 hours ago, Impulse said:

Okay I'll give it a try. Will 1472 MTU negatively affect my xr500 router performance (I tried 1500 but it gives an error that it's not in the range) And after switching back to my old router (which can't support my full download speed BTW) I noticed the hit detection was cleaner than on the xr500 with auto mtu etc.

MTU affecting your gameplay is a common network myth, we're thinking of writing a blog about that subject some day. MTU will only affect your gameplay negatively if the value is so wrong that you're getting packet loss as a result. With it set to automatic I'd run a Pingplotter test through the XR500 to see if you're getting any packet loss. I agree with Fraser too - could well be that Traffic Prio is impacting the speed test.

After lowering the mtu from 1492 to 1472, I did in fact notice better hit detection in bo4. So if lowering it more won't negatively affect my connection, I could go as low as possible just until I see packet loss ? And shouldnt the ideal mtu be 1472 since there's a 28 overhead room meaning that in reality it's actually 1500?

One last thing, when connecting my xr500 through another router, upnp seems to work (ports and devices show) as compared to connecting my xr500 directly to the modem with PPPoE (the device and ports list in empty under upnp).

• Netduma Staff
19 hours ago, Impulse said:

After lowering the mtu from 1492 to 1472, I did in fact notice better hit detection in bo4. So if lowering it more won't negatively affect my connection, I could go as low as possible just until I see packet loss ? And shouldnt the ideal mtu be 1472 since there's a 28 overhead room meaning that in reality it's actually 1500?

One last thing, when connecting my xr500 through another router, upnp seems to work (ports and devices show) as compared to connecting my xr500 directly to the modem with PPPoE (the device and ports list in empty under upnp).

There's a great post about this topic here: https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeNetworking/comments/48txff/does_lowering_mtu_decrease_ping/. In short, lowering it to less than 1492 will not yield the results you'd like and can actually increase your latency. If it's set to Automatic it usually uses 1492 anyway I believe.

There's a great guide from Netgear on finding the optimal MTU, but I wouldn't expect it to reduce latency or improve gameplay. Still handy though : https://kb.netgear.com/19863/Ping-Test-to-determine-Optimal-MTU-Size-on-Router

The UPnP table not populating is something we're looking into. It's a graphics bug, so it should be working perfectly in the background (indeed, if you have an open NAT it certainly is). I hope this helps!

Yeah I'm still getting the inconsistent upload speeds which tend to cap at 10Mbps instead of 40Mbps along with the buggy Upnp when connecting through PPPoE. Is there an update scheduled soon to address the PPPoE issues of this router as I've also read online that it still lacks some features when using PPPoE. 

• Administrators

It works with PPPoE, but there can sometimes be the odd issue which is why we recommend putting your PPPoE details into your modem instead of the router. We will continue to optimise this area though

• Administrators
18 hours ago, Impulse said:

My router is connected directly to the fiber box (I believe it's the fiber box) which acts as the modem I'm guessing. Therefore I have to use PPPoE on the router.

Ah ok. We plan to overhaul this area in the near future, which should bring with it improvements for direct PPPoE users like yourself.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Nearly everyone is able to put their PPPoE details into their modem (so please do this if this is how you connect).

For those who cannot, we will work on a solution

• 2 weeks later...