Network Prioritisation

Impulse

Hey, when playing BO4 on PS4 pro, the traffic prioritisation light turns on, but the packets don't change. I have it set to automatic duma os classified games. I also have QOS disabled selected (the reason being I get A+ on dsl regardless of qos.) Does disabling Qos also affect the prioritisation ? Or what exactly does it do. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that it's the same thing as selecting the anti bufferbloat sliders to NEVER?

• Netduma Staff
7 hours ago, Impulse said:

Hey, when playing BO4 on PS4 pro, the traffic prioritisation light turns on, but the packets don't change. I have it set to automatic duma os classified games. I also have QOS disabled selected (the reason being I get A+ on dsl regardless of qos.) Does disabling Qos also affect the prioritisation ? Or what exactly does it do. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that it's the same thing as selecting the anti bufferbloat sliders to NEVER?

Hi, welcome to the forum :)

Tito is right above - you'll want to leave that enabled. It's not all about DSL reports! Bandwidth Allocation and Anti-Bufferbloat will help in many circumstances. If you're caning the bandwidth by watching a 4k video or something, they'll definitely be handy.

You'll want Traffic Prioritisation anyway, which does indeed get disabled with the rest of QoS.

Thanks for the reply. Furthermore Im still suffereing from bullet delay (shoot first die first) since I switched to this router from my Asus RT-AC 5300. Before you tell me it's got to do with the net code or the host, I'm referring to custom games where the host is usually someone who lives really close to me and I haven't had this issue in the past. As I've mentioned before, my bufferbloat is always an A+ and the in game ping is around 30-35ms. Another issue I have is that UPNP doesn't work and no devices show up under the forwarded list therefore I have to put my device in DMZ. Now this will only help for 1 device, so should I change Nat Filtering from secure to open so I can get open Nat type on the others too ?

• Administrators

The only reason to change forum secure to open is if you feel you do not have an open NAT. But it sounds like your NAT status is open. Correct me if I’m wrong. 

Have you tried testing the quality of your line? If you’re playing a custom game on a nearby hose, with A or A+ bufferbloat, then the problem is somewhere else. Checking your line quality is the next step I would do. His guide explains how to: http://forum.netduma.com/topic/23881-ping-plotter-quick-guide/

Okay so after manually forwarding ports, I was able to achieve an open Nat type, but my other PS4 is stuck on moderate. There's also a bug in the UPNP list where no devices show up. Regarding my line quality, when I run ping plotter, my second hop has some pl% and stays at 100 although the round trip ping is unaffected. According to an IP tracker, my second hop seems to be my isp in this city.

• Netduma Staff
12 hours ago, Impulse said:

Okay so after manually forwarding ports, I was able to achieve an open Nat type, but my other PS4 is stuck on moderate. There's also a bug in the UPNP list where no devices show up. Regarding my line quality, when I run ping plotter, my second hop has some pl% and stays at 100 although the round trip ping is unaffected. According to an IP tracker, my second hop seems to be my isp in this city.

That Pingplotter result seems normal, don't worry. The only reading that truly matters is the final hop packet loss, and the bottom graph displaying spikes / jitter etc. The hops between often show discrepancies or weird results like 100% packet loss, but it's never the case if your final hop shows 0% packet loss.

Focusing on your NAT, have you put your router in your Modem DMZ? Sounds like you've tried plenty of other options. Make sure you disable the Geo-Filter when you're testing your NAT, and if you're on the XR500 / 700, give UPnP another try with a console added to the router DMZ.

I've got my router connected directly to the fibre box in my house which I believe acts as the modem, usingPPPOE. It's how they've set it up here. With dmz, it only helps getting one device to open Nat. I've heard conflicting opinions about using both dmz and upnp at the same time. When I've tried that, the upnp list still shows up empty. I've heard there's a way by manually port forwarding on the other console as well, but they describe the method by using the terms "starting/ending ports" where u change the starting port by just 1 number to avoid conflicting ports and keep the ending port the same whereas this router has "internal/external" ports. Do they mean the same thing ?  I'm on the xr500 BTW.

• Netduma Staff
16 minutes ago, Impulse said:

I've got my router connected directly to the fibre box in my house which I believe acts as the modem, usingPPPOE. It's how they've set it up here. With dmz, it only helps getting one device to open Nat. I've heard conflicting opinions about using both dmz and upnp at the same time. When I've tried that, the upnp list still shows up empty. I've heard there's a way by manually port forwarding on the other console as well, but they describe the method by using the terms "starting/ending ports" where u change the starting port by just 1 number to avoid conflicting ports and keep the ending port the same whereas this router has "internal/external" ports. Do they mean the same thing ?  I'm on the xr500 BTW.

On the XR500 you can specify port ranges in the same way. In the field 'External Port Range', you could type 30, 50, for example. 30 in that case would be the Start Port, and 50 would be the End Port. All ports in between are covered by that range. You could try changing the port number by one and following an online guide on that if you've found one!

So when they mention to keep the ending port the same, does that mean the external port ? 

And I got this information from the routers "help (?)" Option under Port Forwarding. They use different terminology in the help section as to what's on the routers settings page. 

• Netduma Staff
22 hours ago, Impulse said:

And I got this information from the routers "help (?)" Option under Port Forwarding. They use different terminology in the help section as to what's on the routers settings page. 

You're right, that's a good spot. It shouldn't be that way - all the settings have been designed by Netgear and ported to DumaOS so perhaps something is off here. Hopefully we can rework the Port Forwarding features at some point. Don't worry about Internal / External ports - just leave the tick box checked which says 'Use the same port range for Internal Port', then type whatever range you need into External Port.

But to forward more than 1 console to the same port, the help section says u should change the starting port by 1 number so it accepts the forward and leave the ending port the same. Does that translate to changing the internal port and keeping the external port the same ? I have to manually forward them coz the upnp on my router doesn't seem to function or it may just be a bug ? 

• Administrators

Yes, you should be fine to change the internal port by 1 but leave the external port the same.

The fact UPNP is not working is definitely odd - are you on the latest firmware? (2.3.2.40) https://www.netgear.com/support/product/xr500.aspx#Firmware Version 2.3.2.40

Now it's possible that UPNP is working, it's just not displaying the ports that have been opened. Which is obviously a bug, but just a visual bug. So could you try setting UPNP to enabled and see if your PS4 then gets an open NAT.

Yes I am on the latest version. As for UPNP, it's inconsistent when I just have it enabled without port forwarding or DMZ. I'd have to keep restarting the app until it shows open. Another issue is my Upload Bandwidth on the PS4 maxes out at around 9 to 10Mbps instead of 50Mbps. This only happens on the xr500 fyi.

Please provide a solution asap, 

Thanks!

• Administrators

So you see full upload speed through other routers? Have you started using QoS and therefore throttling upload? I assume you're connected via ethernet?

UPnP won't be triggered unless ports are specifically requested, if you've set DMZ then they won't be requested as all port requests will go to that one device. I'd suggest not using DMZ and using port forwarding like you mentioned above to get an open NAT on multiple devices.

When using other routers, I consistently get the speeds I should on the PS4 speed test yes. With the xr500, 1 in 5 times I get the actual speed, the other times it's consistently 9 to 10Mbps. This seems suspicious coz it looks like it's capped at 10 and not just an anomaly in the results. And I've tried it with and without qos enabled.

• Netduma Staff
11 hours ago, Impulse said:

When using other routers, I consistently get the speeds I should on the PS4 speed test yes. With the xr500, 1 in 5 times I get the actual speed, the other times it's consistently 9 to 10Mbps. This seems suspicious coz it looks like it's capped at 10 and not just an anomaly in the results. And I've tried it with and without qos enabled.

If you take the Ethernet cable out of the PS4 and plug it straight into a PC, then run a speed test, what results do you get? That's the best way to find out :)

The PC is fine, just the PS4 displays the slower result. After I've turned Qos off, I tend to get the actual speed more often when I run the speed test. 

Under the device prioritisation, if I just want to prioritise bo4 on my ps4, or just prioritise my console in general, if I untick the DumaOS classified games, should I create an option for my ps4 and use "Game Console" as the priority or do I have to enter the exact ports used for bo4 ? And what exactly does "game console" include ?

• Administrators

Is your console connected via automatic network settings? You could try setting the DNS to something else but I don't think this would change it much. 

DumaOS Classified Games will prioritise the console so no need to add manual settings. The game console service encompasses ports 1024-65000 which are ports the console may use when playing online but shouldn't prioritize downloads

It is automatic, with Google dns or cloudflare is actually decreased my speeds. 

I know that DumaOS prioritises the console, but also every other device connected thats on a game. I wanna prioritise just MY PS4 and see if that might even help with my terrible hit detection. 

• Administrators

You said with QoS off you tend to get the proper speed more often. How did you turn off QoS and what are your settings when QoS is on and you experience the slowdown? 

In that case yes disable DumaOS Classified Games and just add the console with the Game Console service.

The download is pretty close, yes. But the upload is only a fraction of that. To the right of the slider it says 35Mbps whereas I only get 9-10Mbps on the PS4. I have to repeat the test a few times to get around 30Mbps, but then the following test would be 10 again. Like 1 in 5 tests actually show the correct speed. And when I try testing through the browser on the PS4 (dslreports or Speedtest.net), the download is quite accurate but the upload doesn't work, there's no value. I think this is an issue with the PS4 browser though and not the actual router.

• Administrators

Okay so it's not that you never get the upload value, it's just that you don't get it all the time? I'd say that's likely down to the test then, which server it uses etc. The router won't be fluctuating the speed like that