Differenct results different devices

Questions, questions always questions.  Sorry.  So all my devices are always hard wired.  I have done all my speed and quality tests on either a PC or laptop (or both) generally using DSL reports as a yardstick.... accurate or not.  I'm still not happy with overall game performance so decided to test exclusively on the PS4 using the browser for DumaOS and DSL reports.  I find the results are hugely different on the PS4 and require the QOS sliders to be in totally different positions to gain AAAs.  Is this to be expected or is it indicative of maybe a cable problem.  I have many older RJ45s, all Cat 5 I believe.  Think it's worth shelling out for new 5e cables?

• Administrators

For a start I wouldn't be using DSLReports. Bufferbloat only occurs when your network is saturated and that test won't do it so the results you're getting may indicate the settings you have are perfect when they're not. Would recommend following this guide in order to test it properly  http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-test-your-connection

The PS4 browser will be old technology so the test isn't likely to work as well as on a PC. Cables are relatively cheap so I'd go up to Cat6 if you can

5 hours ago, cyberswine said:

Questions, questions always questions.  Sorry.  So all my devices are always hard wired.  I have done all my speed and quality tests on either a PC or laptop (or both) generally using DSL reports as a yardstick.... accurate or not.  I'm still not happy with overall game performance so decided to test exclusively on the PS4 using the browser for DumaOS and DSL reports.  I find the results are hugely different on the PS4 and require the QOS sliders to be in totally different positions to gain AAAs.  Is this to be expected or is it indicative of maybe a cable problem.  I have many older RJ45s, all Cat 5 I believe.  Think it's worth shelling out for new 5e cables?

dsl reports is garbage, forget that blufferbloat stuff. If you think your line is suspect go to pingplotter and test. Fraser probably just gave you link for it. Make sure you do it wired and to saturate you line too. Just get cat 6 for ethernet cables but cat 5 is probably sufficient enough.