Wifi keeps dropping

Rosaria

• Netduma Staff
On 2/19/2019 at 2:05 PM, Rosaria said:

Hi, thanks for the response! Not sure if you read the entire thread but long story short, when I had the netduma plugged in it was kicking me off wifi…sometimes I couldn't even see it in my wireless network listing!  I asked if i could use my old router with the netduma bc I never had any issues with my old router and was told that I could i just had to turn on AP but there was no way to do that so i was given a workaround with that CNET link.  I tried following the directions several times and i don't know what i am doing wrong but i can never get any wifi to come back so i have to keep resetting all the routers.  I am giving up, I've spent way to much time trying to get this to work.  Originally it was working great my son loved it bc of the lag, but when it started kicking us off the wifi it just became too much. Not sure if its because its only a 2.4ghz and my router from my cable company is dual band or what it could be, I'd really like this to work, I've spent a lot of time on it already. All that being said I am not what you would call tech savvy but I can usually figure things out.  Please see the link below.  I'm not sure what is the best way to proceed at this point.  I'd really love to just be able to plug it in and play but that doesn't seem to want to work for me.  Do I have the option of returning this item?

Hi Rosaria - as I've said in my email, I think it would be worth trying to get this to work. You're within your warranty, so you're protected :)

I've got an idea. Navigate to Network Settings > DHCP. In there, set your DHCP Lease time to the maximum value. If these WiFi drops are related to DHCP, that will mean you get a WiFi drop once every week rather than once every 12 hours. More importantly though, it will prove that DHCP is the cause of the problem.

Making that other router into an AP will be an essential step, even if you replace your Netduma R1 with a Netgear one. You'll still need that router in AP mode at some point. Is that router absolutely essential in your network?

Hi Jack, you're saying that if I get a Netgear router i'm still going to have to use my router?  Why?  I wasn't using my router at first with the netduma? I only started trying to use it in conjunction with it when I was having issues connecting. 

I have replied to your email, if you could tell me how to start the return process I would appreciate it!