Wifi keeps dropping

Rosaria

The Netduma R1 constantly kicks me from wifi.  I am not that experienced in what I should do, I bought this for my son who plays a lot of CoD.  There are times when I go to my wifi settings on my phone and it does not even pickup the "Netduma R1" as an option in my wifi list.  I've unplugged and replugged but it happens almost every single day.  Also my old router had 2.4 and 5.0 does this have it.  Can someone please help me figure this out?  Thank you in advance!

Hi thank you so much for the quick response and for the welcome!  Yes it happens to all devices (pc, mac, iPhones, android phones)!  Sometimes on the XBOX my son can't connect to "Netduma R1" because it doesn't populate in the list! Any help would be appreciated as I am completely lost as to what to do.  Another note, when i am connected through my iphone it always says "weak security" can you help me with that why does it say that?  Thank you!!

• Administrators

Does it happen at any specific times or when something is happening on the internet i.e. higher than average usage? For security change the WiFi to PSK2, then apply.

Disable the WiFi on the router then apply, reboot the router. Enable the WiFi and then apply, use a WiFi analyser to find the least congested channel and change to that then apply and reboot one final time and see how you get on!

No it happens at anytime, early evenings, early morning, my mom works odd hours so she is online around 3am and she always has a hard time connecting to it because it doesn't populate in the list.  I will do what you said about the security settings.  Could I plug in my old router into the netduma? would that help in anyway?  

• Administrators

Has it been stable since?

If not, the next time you have a drop, could you double check you still have Internet through your modem? Easiest way to test this is to connect a device like your phone to the modem when your main router is down and see if it still has internet. 

It’s possible the drop out is further up stream (e.g. from your ISP)

Hi thank you so much for checking, yes it has dropped again.  Example this morning I could not connect my phone to the wifi "Netduma R1" but other devices were connected.  Does having only 2.4ghz matter?  My old router had both 2.4 and 5.0  not really sure if it matters or makes a difference.  I just tried to get to the dashboard and it is asking me for username and password? Its never asked me for this before? Am I missing something?

• Administrators

Without 5GHz it just means you won't get as high speeds through WiFi but depends on your speeds whether you would benefit from it. Should have been asked it before but it'll be admin / password

Try this, disable WiFi, apply, reboot. Wait 2 minutes, access interface, enable wifi, apply and reboot. Then see if it's more stable after that, may have got in a weird state.

Hi again, I'm so sorry this keeps happening.  I have done what you suggested and still cannot connect to it even during down times.  I am at a loss of what to do.  I have to run the Xbox, Playstation etc. basically everything is wireless in the house.  If I plug my old router (which comes from my cable company and has 2.4 and 5 ghz) into the netduma will it still work for game lag?  If I connect it into the netduma do I connect to Netduma or my previous router?  Sorry for all the questions!!

• Administrators

So it still doesn't show as available in the WiFi list? Yes that would work, would disable R1 WiFi and connect that router to one of the LAN ports on the R1 and use that routers WiFi instead, preferably put it in AP mode if possible

It shows and then it doesn't show up, Its very spotty, it still kicking us off.  I've done the wifi analyzer, changed the channel, disabled the wifi rebooted, enabled it again and it just  keeps kicking us off.  I could be sitting in the same room as the router and it will kick me off wifi.  If I do the steps you mentioned could I still control the lag for game play being that I'm connecting to my old router and not the Netduma?  Could you please tell me what AP mode is?

• Administrators

Really odd, can you copy and paste the log file from system information please when its happening. Yes you can, AP mode basically just uses that router for WiFi, the netduma would see all devices connected to the router as though they were connected to the R1.

Hello again, sorry it took me so long to reply.  My son had an issue connecting to R1 wifi this morning, so this is what I have done I hope it is correct:  I had everything unplugged while doing all this.

I have the Netduma plugged into the modem (wifi out to POE)

I have turned off the wifi for the netduma via the network settings on the dumaOS page

I plugged in my original router into plug #2 on the netduma going to the WAN plug on my router.  (I had it plugged into the #1 spot but I couldn't connect to that wifi)

I hope these are the correct steps, if not I am at a complete loss of what to do. I've also attached the log file.  I hope it helps!

log-1548002796705.txt

Hi! Yes, so far so good.  I noticed that when my son played a few CoD games  on the Geo Filter page I cannot see the "people" on the map the way I used to see them when we were connected to the R1 wifi. Is it still working for the game lag?

• Netduma Staff
9 hours ago, Rosaria said:

Hi! Yes, so far so good.  I noticed that when my son played a few CoD games  on the Geo Filter page I cannot see the "people" on the map the way I used to see them when we were connected to the R1 wifi. Is it still working for the game lag?

If there are one or two servers showing up, then the Geo-Filter is working. You might not be seeing loads of players because that's how it works with Black Ops 4 on PS4 - the game developers took steps to protect player ID's on PS4, so only the servers show up on the Geo-Filter.

You can still get the best host possible, you just won't see every player :) sounds good!

Hi Jack, thanks for the response, we aren't seeing anyone on the Geo-Filter page :( no servers, no players, he plays CoD on Xbox is it different?  Before I did the re-wiring of the netduma and my old router together (when it was just the R1 plugged into my modem) we could see other players on the geo-filter page, but we can't see them anymore.  I just want to make sure the netduma is working the way it is intended to work!  I could send a screenshot of the geo filter page tomorrow if you need to see it.  

• Netduma Staff
9 hours ago, Rosaria said:

Hi Jack, thanks for the response, we aren't seeing anyone on the Geo-Filter page :( no servers, no players, he plays CoD on Xbox is it different?  Before I did the re-wiring of the netduma and my old router together (when it was just the R1 plugged into my modem) we could see other players on the geo-filter page, but we can't see them anymore.  I just want to make sure the netduma is working the way it is intended to work!  I could send a screenshot of the geo filter page tomorrow if you need to see it.  

Ah, none at all suggests that the device added to the Geo-Filter isn't correct. What I would do is delete the Xbox from the Geo-Filter, then go to the Geo-Filter and double check the IP of your Xbox versus the IP address shown on the Xbox network settings. That way you can be sure it's the correct device. Also make sure you've got the Device Type set to Xbox, and it's connected via an Ethernet cable.

If all the above is correct then there's no reason why hosts won't be showing up. It's by far the most common solution, so let me know how it goes :D

Hi thank you for the response.  Unfortunately I have this as wireless I cannot connect it via and ethernet cable, is that what the problem is?  I have done everything you suggested, deleted the xbox, added it again and i still do not see anything on the geo filter page.  is there anything else I can try? 

• Administrators

Did you first check the IP address of the Xbox against the device you think it is in the device manager? As its now connected to another router it may have had its IP change and so may appear as another device, potentially unnamed