Destiny 2 Asian servers help PS4

Hello, i was informed by a friend that they used the netduma to only play with people over in Asia for Competitive to make it easier as they have a larger playerbase as well from what i have heard.

i had tried to matchmake with the Destiny profile settings but even though i see the players being scanned, i rarely ever matchmake with them.

i dont care about ping or connection when i play comp so if there is anyone that can help me adjust my settings to play with people in asia only i would appreciate it. 

thank you for your time

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Where are you from? May be harder to force games depending on your distance. What you need to do though in order to force is:

1. Hard turn off the console
  2. Delete device from Geo-Filter
  3. Set your radius over Asia with strict on to start with
  4. Add device to Geo-Filter
  5. Wait 2 minutes
  6. Boot up console and game and search
  7. If encounter disconnects/finding it hard to get a game then disable strict mode

If it doesn't work then it's likely they won't match you with players over a certain ping

12 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Where are you from? May be harder to force games depending on your distance. What you need to do though in order to force is:

1. Hard turn off the console
  5. Wait 2 minutes
  7. If encounter disconnects/finding it hard to get a game then disable strict mode

If it doesn't work then it's likely they won't match you with players over a certain ping

USA west coast in California.

I had read that strict on does not work with Destiny 2 however? unless this has been fixed.

and regarding ping my ping assist is off or at 0, would adjusting this help?

• Administrators

It's not a fix needed for Destiny and Strict Mode - it's just the way their game is networked. If you have Strict Mode enabled, it can cause problems, so best to disable this (just for Destiny)

Ping Assist will allow connections outside your filter range to connect to you if their ping is below your limit. This can be good at finding low ping games quickly. This guide explains more:  http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000087579--dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-ping-assist

4 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

It's not a fix needed for Destiny and Strict Mode - it's just the way their game is networked. If you have Strict Mode enabled, it can cause problems, so best to disable this (just for Destiny)

Ping Assist will allow connections outside your filter range to connect to you if their ping is below your limit. This can be good at finding low ping games quickly. This guide explains more:  http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000087579--dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-ping-assist

Ok, so is there a way i can play with people in Asia only/mostly then without strict mode on destiny 2 reliably? is there a server there that people connect to that i can find?

• Administrators

They likely do have servers in that location but I don't know where they'd be since they don't show all the servers on the map only when it tries to connect you. I advised strict on to start with to see if it is possible to matchmake over there and also to ensure the game thinks that's where you're located. Then you can use strict mode off and it should connect you to a server in that region and players within your radius.

49 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

They likely do have servers in that location but I don't know where they'd be since they don't show all the servers on the map only when it tries to connect you. I advised strict on to start with to see if it is possible to matchmake over there and also to ensure the game thinks that's where you're located. Then you can use strict mode off and it should connect you to a server in that region and players within your radius.

Ok, so basically turn on strict mode, once i am in a match turn it off, and repeat every time i matchmake correct?

• 4 weeks later...

I’m still trying to figure all of this out too. I have a vpn setup. After connecting my vpn to a host in a different country, I’ll set my location on the geofilter to that area. However, the games are way to laggy to the point they are not worth playing. I’m not sure if the vpn is even necessary; but, let me try to clarify what was mentioned above. 1. Delete the device from geofilter. 2. Set my location and radius to the area I want to play in.. 3. Start matchmaking and view players in strict mode to if there’s players in that area. 4. Stop matchmaking/turn off strict mode. 5. Start matchmaking then it should connect provided that there’s people playing there. So, should auto ping host be on, should I disable fast search, should I set a value for ping assist?  Anything to improve the quality of connection when playing in a different country? Any advice on using the vpn? 

• Administrators

You can keep auto ping host on, this is very convenient for showing you metrics about your connection. One thing to keep in mind though as this won't be your true ping because you are going through a VPN and the ping reading on the router is directly from the server to your home.

It's not surprise that the VPN is making games laggy - VPN's will add latency to your connection because you are routing your game through a VPN server, so it takes longer. VPN servers are often very busy/oversubscribed as well. What's your reason for even doing this?

If your overall aim is to just force a connection in a different country, disable the VPN,  set Ping Assist to 0 and make sure the Geo-Filter range is over the area you want. You should be good to go from that point.

I have experience in the geo-location using Destiny 2 via console (Xbox) .  I did use it in competitive PVP to help find a less sweaty player base and it does work very well.  Destiny did change the matchmaking on Jan13 to match u up with players with a similar glory points ranking unlike before which it was random.  I had to quit playing competitive now due to my rank being to high so now I just get sweaty 4 stacks and thats no fun.  

Only use filter mode fyi strict will make gameplay unstable.

Yeah, I tried what I thought was mentioned above with little success. Basically, I’m trying to consistently match players is specific regions to avoid playing sweaty American servers for comp with less lag as possible. I’m just overwhelmed with information. It’s frustrating. 

15 minutes ago, Seraph said:

Yeah, I tried what I thought was mentioned above with little success. Basically, I’m trying to consistently match players is specific regions to avoid playing sweaty American servers for comp with less lag as possible. I’m just overwhelmed with information. It’s frustrating. 

The router does a good job of keeping your search area to the area you select on the map.  Destiny on the other hand is kind of all over the place on who u get in matches because they cannot control who is in the other teams party etc.  I feel that using geo filter in a big plus if you are playing destiny just remember to keep it in filter mode and stay away from strict mode.  I have found it to be better leaving it in geo filter mode rather than using ping assist for Destiny. :)

• Netduma Staff
5 hours ago, Seraph said:

Is there any way to see your peer history against players you’ve matched

One day Seraph, one day. I'd love to see this feature in particular, it'd be so cool. Your best bet with the Geo-Filter is just to keep it simple. Get rid of that VPN unless you know for sure you're getting DDoS attacked / there's a really good reason why you're doing it. It'll just slow your game down.

Strict Mode being on means you'll only connect to stuff within your radius. If it's off, dedicated servers / authentication servers outside the radius are allowed in (but peers aren't). As a general rule, leave it off for Destiny since you might get kicked otherwise.

Fast search is only necessary if you're not finding games fast enough. It basically just sacrifices server quality in return for faster search times. And finally, Auto Ping just pings the host for you instead of you needing to do it yourself. If you keep your setup really simple (1500km distance over your home, Strict off, maybe Ping Assist at 60ms) what's your experience like?

It was stated to set your ping assist to 0 If you are trying to hard set your matchmaking in another country, but what happens if enable fast search?

Furthermore, if you increased your ping assist while location is set in another country, would you still be forcing matchmaking to that specific country?

My issue is sometimes I’m not finding matches fast enough. 

• Netduma Staff
2 hours ago, Seraph said:

Regarding what Frazer stated about start a match in strict mode then turn it off.. do mean play a match then turn it off ? Or just search for a match then stop search then turn off strict mode?

I think his suggestion is to leave it turned on while you boot up the game, then disable it before searching. Maybe he can pitch in and clear it up, I've never tried it myself!

If you set Ping Assist to 0ms, it's effectively turned 'off'. Fast Search won't matter at that point since it works alongside Ping Assist. I might try to make that fact clearer in the user interface for you guys soon.

if you increase Ping Assist, it lets you find games outside the radius. That's not a bad thing though - there's plenty of servers that could be great located across the world. With it enabled, you won't be forcing matchmaking for a specific country any more - it'll filter for servers with a low ping or servers within the radius.

Great input. Eliminates a lot of tweaking, I thought I was doing to possibly speed up matchmaking. 

Another question, if I’m playing and I decide that I want to change my location to a different region after a match or when matchmaking is slow, do I need to go through the entire process again that was mentioned above my the Network admin or can I simply change my location on the geofilter after a match? ... 

1. Hard turn off the console
  5. Wait 2 minutes
  7. If encounter disconnects/finding it hard to get a game then disable strict mode. 

Thanks!!

Does the default dns settings or Google’s dns have in role or effect in getting kicked while playing in strict mode? I just had a theory based on a small amount of tests that I was getting kicked more in strict mode with the default dns settings vs Google’s dns.

• Netduma Staff
11 hours ago, Seraph said:

Does the default dns settings or Google’s dns have in role or effect in getting kicked while playing in strict mode? I just had a theory based on a small amount of tests that I was getting kicked more in strict mode with the default dns settings vs Google’s dns.

I doubt it. It's a cool theory but I don't think DNS will play into it. It's more a random factor - it all depends on where the game is trying to connect you, so there's an element of chance. The issue is literally Strict Mode blocking authentication servers the game requires, so depending on where they're located / what's going on in the game you'll either be kicked or won't :)

Yeah. I’m still unsure after two nights have gone to waste. We’ve simply can’t find matches. I’ve spent 6-7 hours in orbit to play maybe 5-6 games and that’s a stretch.  And I’m playing where players are at, so I know they are there. I’ve tried expanding radius to cover multiple regions, decreasing the radius, adding a ping assist value (even though it goes back to matching us to the US). I’m mentally drained by the time all this is done. Sucks