High Ping/Poor Connection

Mike101

I recently upgraded from the R6300 netgear router to the Nighthawk X4S AC2600 and started to have problems with high ping and poor connection on my Playstation 4 PRO. on previous router i would get around a low 30 ping and usually stayed consistent never lagging. I switched routers and high pinned occurred and i could not figure out why. Talked to netgear support for a week, did numerous adjustments (static IP, Opening ports, calling my ISP and they said internet signals were perfectly fine, resetting modem and router multiple times. I then decided to switch to the Nighthawk XR500 as it is the last model. Ping issues got a little better but still have too high of a ping to play games. I have the lastest firmware and have set the bufferbloat to 70, 80, and 90% adjusted geo filter and still not help. I had my ISP tech come out to my home today and he said our cable wire were very "noisy" and switched out wires. He said that shoud clear up internet issues but it has NOT. Plz can someone give me some insight on this it is VERY frustrating and ive been trying to figure this out for WEEKS.

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Likely scenario is the ISP doesn't like new routers and takes a little while to adjust. You can wait it out or people have had success setting the new router's MAC address as their previous router. I would also recommend going through our optimal settings guide to ensure everything is correct: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/folders/16000090646

42 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Likely scenario is the ISP doesn't like new routers and takes a little while to adjust. You can wait it out or people have had success setting the new router's MAC address as their previous router. I would also recommend going through our optimal settings guide to ensure everything is correct: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/folders/16000090646

Do you know the proper steps to changing mac address to past router?

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Look on the underside of your previous router for the MAC address and then enter that into the XR500's Internet Setup page. Apply then reboot and see if your connection has stabilised.

After following these steps and rebooting, the internet light on the router is now blinking orange giving me no internet connection.

• Administrators

Undo that change then please.

Could you run a PingPlotter on your line and post the results here so we can take a look at them for you (guide here): 

Also, make sure you have set QoS and Geo-Filter up optimally: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/folders/16000090646