2 questions about ping & throttling

demonchine

Question 1) why do I get the exact same ping (26-27 according to duma os 50-60 according to treyarch) whether a server is a few hundred miles from me or 1500.

Question 2) Why is it that when I drop my download & upload to 20% it takes 3x longer to find a match. 

Any answers or speculation are appreciated,  thanks. 

1.) That is the difference  between network ping and in-game latency.  The packets will have added delay from the game. Most games it's around 10ms difference with bo4 it is about 20ms difference.

2.) throttling somehow puts you in a worst case lobby search and pairs you with players with shitty connections and p2p I believe. 

• Administrators
8 hours ago, demonchine said:

Question 1) why do I get the exact same ping (26-27 according to duma os 50-60 according to treyarch) whether a server is a few hundred miles from me or 1500.

Question 2) Why is it that when I drop my download & upload to 20% it takes 3x longer to find a match. 

Any answers or speculation are appreciated,  thanks. 

On 2) - do you find you still get servers as the host of your game? Or is it always another player (P2P)?

5 hours ago, stalker4hire- said:

1.) That is the difference  between network ping and in-game latency.  The packets will have added delay from the game. Most games it's around 10ms difference with bo4 it is about 20ms difference.

2.) throttling somehow puts you in a worst case lobby search and pairs you with players with shitty connections and p2p I believe. 

I get that the difference between the duma os ping and in game ping is system processing,  what I don't get is how I can be getting the exact same ping no matter how close or far the server I'm playing on is. 

4 minutes ago, Netduma Admin said:

On 2) - do you find you still get servers as the host of your game? Or is it always another player (P2P)?

Usually P2P. Throttling down to 20% puts me at 16mbps up & 1.5mbps up.  I lag like crazy,  but I always thought bandwidth wasn't a factor in your connection,  so I'm curious as to how this works. As in do people with certain bandwidths get connected to others with similar?

• Administrators
40 minutes ago, demonchine said:

Usually P2P. Throttling down to 20% puts me at 16mbps up & 1.5mbps up.  I lag like crazy,  but I always thought bandwidth wasn't a factor in your connection,  so I'm curious as to how this works. As in do people with certain bandwidths get connected to others with similar?

You would have to ask Treyarch that, as I'm not sure if they would factor that into their matchmaking.

16/1.5 should be enough (games only need about 0.5mbps max). Are you playing wirelessly?

Also, we recommend 70% as a better number anyway - that gets a nice balance between getting a great gaming connection without compromising your network.

For years many have said that your bandwidth doesn't effect gaming,  your ping is what matters,  but I'm not seeing that.  I'm getting the same ping no matter which server I connect to,  & I can alter my connection to the game by throttling bandwidth,  even down to an amount that is considered acceptable for gaming. 

35 minutes ago, Netduma Admin said:

You would have to ask Treyarch that, as I'm not sure if they would factor that into their matchmaking.

16/1.5 should be enough (games only need about 0.5mbps max). Are you playing wirelessly?

Also, we recommend 70% as a better number anyway - that gets a nice balance between getting a great gaming connection without compromising your network.

Not playing wirelessly.  I'm either getting decent games with COD or absolutely horrible,  usually coincides wth game updates,  so I'm always trying to figure out what exactly is the formula treyarch or Activision uses for match making.  The throttling to 20% was only experimental, I do typically set my sliders to 70%

Bandwidth definitely has an impact on the in game server selection for your connection. In BO3 i was able to force dedicated servers in different countries just by manipulating my bandwidth.

• Administrators
6 hours ago, demonchine said:

I get that the difference between the duma os ping and in game ping is system processing,  what I don't get is how I can be getting the exact same ping no matter how close or far the server I'm playing on is. 

It's probably mislocated on the Geo-Filter, if you look up the pings from the domain name they may appear to be in the same location. 

It may be that if you're playing P2P that what you've throttled it down to is not enough to host whereas you may have been hosting before. Thats just a speculation as games don't use much bandwidth at all so not sure why it'd affect your gameplay as long as you have enough.

16 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It's probably mislocated on the Geo-Filter, if you look up the pings from the domain name they may appear to be in the same location. 

It may be that if you're playing P2P that what you've throttled it down to is not enough to host whereas you may have been hosting before. Thats just a speculation as games don't use much bandwidth at all so not sure why it'd affect your gameplay as long as you have enough.

Is it a good idea to flush my cloud periodically to fix this?