Geo-Filter issue/questions

Hello there, I have 50/50 fiber internet. My ONT box is right outside my window and I have an Ethernet going from that straight to my XR500 as I didn’t bother to have a bridge mode with the supplied fios quantum gateway. When I geo-filter on my Xbox one S for Black ops 4. Ill be shown a ping of 9-12ms and my base is 9ms.....my range is for 700 miles on strict and filter mode. So when I play in team death match I’m wondering how it takes half a clip to kill someone if I’m seeing a 9-12ms ping to a dedicated server. It’s not showing packet loss so I’m at a loss of words. Also, even though I’m connecting to these dedicated servers, it still seems like the connection is off. The other team will have the better connection it seems, as they’ll all finish in 2-4KD ratio, meanwhile I’m wondering how I’m on the wrong side of the connection like their bullets hit right away. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

• Administrators

Your settings sound great. and a ping of below 20ms means you have an insane connection. Obviously that will be an advantage, but it won't make you a better player!

One thing you might want to consider is moving your home location on the Geo-Filter to a different server location if you feel that plays better for you. For example, some of our the UK guys on here prefer to play on the French server instead of the UK server. The great thing about the Geo-Filter is you have full control.

So if I’m based in Long Beach CA in the US, what server would you say I should connect to? Also, when I go into “find match” and I’m on filtering mode, whenever auto ping shows a server for me to allow or deny, is that within my radius? Or does that mean I’m allowing or denying something outside my radius? Because it gives me that every time. Last night I ended up not allowing anything and leaving it on filter mode and it seemed way better connection wise. 

• Administrators

Well our recommendation would always keep it the filter closest to you so can't really advise on what further away server to go for, that's more of a trial and error thing for you to see what plays best in your opinion.

It just means you're in a game and that's that ping to the server. It could be within your radius or outside your radius depending on your settings (strict mode off or ping assist enabled). By allowing it there it just means that regardless of your Geo-Filter settings in the future it will allow that server. If for example you had it on the other side of the country the Geo-Filter would allow it as you've told it to do so. You don't need to allow/deny games in auto ping for every game you play, if you've got to the point of auto ping appearing you've the Geo-Filter has already allowed it as it's within your setting parameters.

• Administrators

Yes thats absolutely fine. It 'allows/denies' hosts on it's own based on your Geo-Filter settings. The options for allow/deny on the ping panel are just if you want to allow/deny them in future if they pop up again even if your Geo-Filter settings in future were restricted so they would've normally been allowed/denied.

So I don’t understand why I’ll be connected to a server and allow it, yet the router continually asks me to allow or deny it.

also, I’m beginning to believe the router is the issue as well. Consistently it will reset my range. For everything to work as it should, on each startup I have to flush cloud and set kilometers to miles. 

I find it insane that tonight I had 3ms ping to a dedicated server maybe 40 miles away from me, yet I’m aiming at a persons head and go half a clip spot on and STILL die!!! And on that replay it shows me freaking lagging. WTF?!?! And zero packet loss at that!!! Does this router even do its job? No way in hell can it be me at this point as I’ve held above a 2.00 KD/R previously and now it’s dropped to 1.63. It’s just weird and I’m at a loss of words. 

• Administrators

What are your pings like? The router can help you control your ping - only you can affect your KD!

As for Settings like miles vs kilometres not being saved - it will save on your browser that you are using at the time. So if you switch device or browser your settings will be different 

Well last night it was 3ms-8ms only because I’m right by a dedicated server. But when I was shooting someone it was taking a half to full clip and I’d still die. On the killcam it shows me completely missing the target. I just have it set to 700 mile radius and I flush the cloud before each use. I don’t have any servers allowed or denied. I just let it connect me to whatever while I’m on filtering mode. It’s on strict and auto ping. 

• Netduma Staff
14 hours ago, LuringGranny said:

Well last night it was 3ms-8ms only because I’m right by a dedicated server. But when I was shooting someone it was taking a half to full clip and I’d still die. On the killcam it shows me completely missing the target. I just have it set to 700 mile radius and I flush the cloud before each use. I don’t have any servers allowed or denied. I just let it connect me to whatever while I’m on filtering mode. It’s on strict and auto ping. 

The router is 100% doing its job. There's absolutely no doubt here. The objective of the gaming feature set is to give you full control over the hosts you connect to, and get you the lowest ping possible to minimise lag on your end. With a ping of 3-8ms, you've got a stupendously low ping, and by denying other servers / setting up the Geo-Filter radius, you can make sure that's the ping you always have.

Bad hit registration at this point could only be attributed to either the game net-code not dealing with the other players properly (which is likely with BO4) or ping spikes originating on your line / with your ISP.

You don't need to flush the cloud before use (doing that just checks for a new cloud version to update the cloud IP database - it won't affect gameplay), but if your Geo-Filter settings aren't saving it could be a cookies issue. As Admin said it's running on your browser, so using other devices / browsers can cause settings to be lost.

• 2 weeks later...

Well tonight I had my radius at 500 miles and I’m baffled how someone outside the radius connected to my match and had host. I kept denying it yet it would still show on my geofilter. This happens quite a few times actually. I’ll connect to a dedicated server and for whatever reason once I’m in the match, I’m on the team with the crap connection and everyone on the other team has higher than a 2.0 KD ratio. So what’s the point of setting the settings if all it’s going to do is put me on the disadvantaged connection? I’m not even sure I’ve ever had host. For every good match I have, I’ve got to go through 3-4 matches of crap connection. 

• Netduma Staff
41 minutes ago, LuringGranny said:

Well tonight I had my radius at 500 miles and I’m baffled how someone outside the radius connected to my match and had host. I kept denying it yet it would still show on my geofilter. This happens quite a few times actually. I’ll connect to a dedicated server and for whatever reason once I’m in the match, I’m on the team with the crap connection and everyone on the other team has higher than a 2.0 KD ratio. So what’s the point of setting the settings if all it’s going to do is put me on the disadvantaged connection? I’m not even sure I’ve ever had host. For every good match I have, I’ve got to go through 3-4 matches of crap connection. 

With Strict Mode on and Ping Assist off, it's physically impossible to get a server outside your radius. It doesn't prevent other players from connecting to the server; that's not what the Geo-Filter does. If something that looks like a server is connecting beyond the radius, it could be an authentication / background NAT or chat server required for the game to run properly.

There's many layers to your connection in-game. Ping to the server (and ping stability) is by far the most important thing, since that's the root cause of lag. It's still possible to get hackers / lag switchers, and it's still possible for the lag compensation in the game to be bad if the opposing team is made up of high-ping players. At that point it's up to the game developers and nobody else to fix their online systems.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Administrators

They work in conjunction so you could get games within your radius but they may be above 20ms but as they're so close they should play very well. Outside your radius you could well get games that are under that 20ms limit. 20ms is very restrictive though, would recommend putting it to 30ms at least.

So I did that very exact thing, radius to 500 in filtering mode and strict and set to auto ping. Very weird because on auto ping it was showing a 4ms ping to a dedicated server right by me but when I’d check the Black ops 4 in game network graph it was showing 40-55ms ping. And the game was pretty horrible those few matches. I’m not sure why. 

I wonder if I alter my speeds to 15 download but put upload to full blast it will maybe trick the games lag compensation to my favor. What do you think? Any suggestions?

• Netduma Staff
7 hours ago, LuringGranny said:

So I did that very exact thing, radius to 500 in filtering mode and strict and set to auto ping. Very weird because on auto ping it was showing a 4ms ping to a dedicated server right by me but when I’d check the Black ops 4 in game network graph it was showing 40-55ms ping. And the game was pretty horrible those few matches. I’m not sure why. 

I wonder if I alter my speeds to 15 download but put upload to full blast it will maybe trick the games lag compensation to my favor. What do you think? Any suggestions?

I doubt you could trick lag comp since as far as I'm aware, it's a constant throughout the match - it'll keep up with your connection quality and compensate accordingly. If you've got a really low ping but it's playing horribly, you are correct - it's lag comp screwing you over. When this happens it's worth using the Geo-Filter to force slightly more distant servers, maybe in the 20ms ping range.

Give that a go, but at the end of the day it's the outdated CoD lag comp at fault here :L

I honestly think this router is just a pile of garbage now. No matter what I do it still let’s in players from outside my radius to connect and screw up any game I’m in. I have gigabit internet now and regardless of overwatch, COD and now apex and anthem, it’s made my experience worse. It’ll say the host I ping to is 4ms but in game it shows 30ms. No matter what settings this or that, it’s a crappy experience. Good thing I work at a tech company and can exchange for an Asus or Linksys. The geo filter is pointless with online competitive gameplay. If I’m able to connect to just a server close to me, what good does it do if someone is able to connect to it outside of my radius and just screw it all up to me when every game has a lag comp code? So theoretically it makes no difference. 

• Administrators

The Geo-Filter guarantees you a low ping, on the server of your choice. You can pick and choose the server that plays best for you, and consistently play on it all gaming session long. This is a massive improvement on a normal router.

To be able to control where other players are located is completely up to the netcode of the game. For example, in 1v1 games like FIFA, Madden, Street Fighter etc the Geo-Filter can often do this for you.

In games that mostly use servers, like CoD, you cannot force the location of other players to be from a certain point. But as you know where the server is, and the ping, you get a consistent experience on a good connection, which is an advantage over all other players who will often have a much higher ping that varies from game to game.

I know that some of our users find the lag comp on some games so strong that they prefer to play on a higher ping than the lowest possible. For example, some UK CoD players prefer to play on the French server instead of the UK server. The key thing is you have control thanks to the Geo-Filter.

I just want to make sure I have this setup correctly. 

I am on Xbox one S, duma classified games checkmarked and added my console.

Anti buffer bloat set at Always and upload/download set to 70%

i live in Los Angeles CA and have the range to 500 miles. 

I have it set to Filtering. It’s set to Strict mode and Auto Ping Host with Ping assist to 0. Do I need to change ping assist even though it’s in auto ping and strict mode? That part always confuses me. 

I don’t have it set to call of duty profile. 

I just want the best connection because as it stands I’ll have some good matches but then at times I’ll go 3-5 matches where it’s really high ping in game due to people from far away in the lobby. Should I change my location to the Fort Worth Texas server or Seattle server to combat anything? Or is my setup perfect? On the dedicated servers close it shows 4-12ms ping but in game I’ll be at 30-35, it is weird