Need basic help with my public IP

My question is super basic and not really related to DumaOS (other than that is what I use): How to I get a public IP that makes sense?

DumaOS has not worked very well for me for a while...

After a lot of digging, Turns out my IP address is geo-located by at least one service I can find (IP2Location) on the opposite side of the country. Others show me correctly basically right in my house. (ipinfo.io EurekAIP, DB-IP)...

This causes me to matchmake almost exclusively on the wrong side of the country, or EXTREMELY poor quality of games even with filtering. 

Hi.

In answer to your question there is not much you can do regarding changing your public ip address. You have 3 options only......

1:          Turn off your modem for a while and when it reboots it may obtain a new public ip address but that is not guaranteed.

2.          Ask your isp if you can have a static ip address which never changes. You may be charged extra for this if they do offer it as it is mainly business that benefit                    from a static public ip address.

3.          Do a search for isp's that offer a fixed ip address as standard with their packages.

BD

• Administrators

As BD says - those are your three best options. Ive heard that turning off your modem for 24 hours can sometimes force a change (rather than a minute), so you might want to try that if you can face no Internet for 24 hours.

If I were in your shoes the best option would be to call up your ISP and request a change. That's what we recommend to anyone who is being DDoSSed as they also need a new IP.

7 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

As BD says - those are your three best options. Ive heard that turning off your modem for 24 hours can sometimes force a change (rather than a minute), so you might want to try that if you can face no Internet for 24 hours.

If I were in your shoes the best option would be to call up your ISP and request a change. That's what we recommend to anyone who is being DDoSSed as they also need a new IP.

My ISP (Comcast) says they can't renew my IP unless I pay for business service for an insane upcharge. 

Maybe the 24 hour thing will work. I tried about 8 hours, overnight, and that didn't.

My only other ISP option is 3mbps AT&T. Unbelievable.

I theoretically should be able to get around this with the VPN update, right? But I am unclear on the steps I need to take to do that. If that would help my situation, is it possible to discuss how to configure it?